Faulty testing kits making me think my tank was cycled..

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've stalled cycles many times by adding way too much alcohol. You really need to pay attention to what's going on wjen using ammonia choride. I suggest using half of the recommended. There is zero need for any kind of CUC until a few months in. That $100 sack was going to die regardless...

Depending on what kind of skimmer you have, a $40 ozone generator and a $10 air pump cycling on for a couple hours a couple times a day will take care of your smell issue. Reef Octopus are good to go however the airline feeding the recirc pump is not.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've stalled cycles many times by adding way too much alcohol. You really need to pay attention to what's going on wjen using ammonia choride. I suggest using half of the recommended. There is zero need for any kind of CUC until a few months in. That $100 sack was going to die regardless...

Depending on what kind of skimmer you have, a $40 ozone generator and a $10 air pump cycling on for a couple hours a couple times a day will take care of your smell issue. Reef Octopus are good to go however the airline feeding the recirc pump is not.

You were adding alcohol during cycling? Why?

OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true / am I reading correct / that what killed these animals was reefing (adding them with no acclimation to) .041 reef water but was blamed on a stalled cycle at 3 weeks? What’s the accepted causative here

At the start I knew a three week Dr Tim cycle will always be done. There was some other cause but after just emerging from a ten page false mini cycle battle I didn’t want another, then I saw the refractometer post, we don’t normally get that extra info it was nice to see.

Nobody’s Dr Tim cycle is stalled on day 21. This wasn’t a bad cycle it was done just fine.

Adjusted title: misreading refractometer made me think a finished cycle wasn’t

Technically it wasn’t misreading the refractometer, it just wasn’t the right type. Ordered the “salinity refractometer” from Amazon and thought Brix was just the “brand”. It’s still a salinity refractometer, but does not read water salinity the same as your typical one for the hobby, regarding % or gravity I believe, and maneuvered/interpreted in a way unknown to me, even though it shows familiar SG ranges on it. The brix read what I thought was correct. I drip acclimated them, but the SG was unknowingly 1.40~ and it was too extreme.

Even after all correction, further testing I did find the Salifert to not be distinguishable enough for me, color wise. The API worked better for me. I like salifert for Alk and Cal though.

Unrelated: the clownfish survived the crazy salinity and are still alive today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodock

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS. Re-read post history.. Randy posted the difference in the Brix earlier in the post, I didn’t describe it correctly above.
But, yes, to go back, I did read it wrong.
Hope the info will keep others from making the same mistakes or find answers if they unknowingly get in the same situation of user error.

I now have 3 refractometers and cross check them all to not make the same mistake. It was nice to find out all the info Randy provided.

Last edited:

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You were adding alcohol during cycling? Why?
Sorry I meant ammonia chloride. Whatever Dr Tim recommends. It's his brand. I cycled my rock in a Brute following his instructions. After the first week, ammonia was way too high so I drained all the water and proceeded with 1/2 recommended dose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I meant ammonia chloride. Whatever Dr Tim recommends. It's his brand. I cycled my rock in a Brute following his instructions. After the first week, ammonia was way too high so I drained all the water and proceeded with 1/2 recommended dose.

Got it. :)

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 45 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back