Favia & Candy Cane Thoughts

D_Yurik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help identify what's going on with my Favia and Candy Cane corals. Yesterday morning I did a water change, levels have been very consistent now for 3-4 months. I decided to go to my local coral supplier and pick up some new coral for the tank. I picked up a Favia (Green with white centers), Candy Cane (lime green), Indophyllia, and a few Rhodactis mushrooms to add to my tank that has only housed a Zoa, GSP and a Goniopora. Zoa, GSP and Goni have all been doing great. I started asking the guy at the store about dipping corals, and he recommended ReVive Coral Cleaner for 15 minutes, than a quick splash in H202 then right into the tank. Thats what i did, and the Rhodactis, and Indophyllia did just fine however the Favia and Candy Cane do not look very good. for what its worth, i did also add another piece of dry life rock after rinsing in RO water. I woke up this morning and both the Favia and Candy Cane look really bad and has white slimy substance coming off of it, and the brown appears to be flaking/falling off too. I used a small turkey baster to suck the white slime off. i tested my levels, and my Ammonia spiked to .50ppm, Nitrate was at 5.0ppm Phosphate, PH, Alk, Nitrite, and Calcium are all stable like they have been. My normal levels are below. Can anyone please help out with a few items. 1) lighting program Photo attached (this is not a preset, its just what i had been running with Zoa's GSP and Goni and was working well.) Photos of corals attached as well, and up for suggestions on anything that i may have done wrong and how to (if i even need to) help keep these corals alive. I did a 25% water this afternoon to help reduce the Ammonia and Nitrate.

PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0 - low
Calcium 440
Phos 0 - .25
Salinity 35.4
Alk 12.5

20221017_174927.jpg 20221017_175348.jpg 20221017_155350.jpg 20221017_175404.jpg Screenshot_20221017-181646_FluvalSmart.jpg

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping can be really hard on some corals, and then putting them under high light right away can also cause stress. Maybe try dimming your lights for a period of time? Or putting the corals further down in your tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please help identify what's going on with my Favia and Candy Cane corals. Yesterday morning I did a water change, levels have been very consistent now for 3-4 months. I decided to go to my local coral supplier and pick up some new coral for the tank. I picked up a Favia (Green with white centers), Candy Cane (lime green), Indophyllia, and a few Rhodactis mushrooms to add to my tank that has only housed a Zoa, GSP and a Goniopora. Zoa, GSP and Goni have all been doing great. I started asking the guy at the store about dipping corals, and he recommended ReVive Coral Cleaner for 15 minutes, than a quick splash in H202 then right into the tank. Thats what i did, and the Rhodactis, and Indophyllia did just fine however the Favia and Candy Cane do not look very good. for what its worth, i did also add another piece of dry life rock after rinsing in RO water. I woke up this morning and both the Favia and Candy Cane look really bad and has white slimy substance coming off of it, and the brown appears to be flaking/falling off too. I used a small turkey baster to suck the white slime off. i tested my levels, and my Ammonia spiked to .50ppm, Nitrate was at 5.0ppm Phosphate, PH, Alk, Nitrite, and Calcium are all stable like they have been. My normal levels are below. Can anyone please help out with a few items. 1) lighting program Photo attached (this is not a preset, its just what i had been running with Zoa's GSP and Goni and was working well.) Photos of corals attached as well, and up for suggestions on anything that i may have done wrong and how to (if i even need to) help keep these corals alive. I did a 25% water this afternoon to help reduce the Ammonia and Nitrate.

PH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0 - low
Calcium 440
Phos 0 - .25
Salinity 35.4
Alk 12.5

20221017_174927.jpg 20221017_175348.jpg 20221017_155350.jpg 20221017_175404.jpg Screenshot_20221017-181646_FluvalSmart.jpg
Recession due to stress.
15 minutes? 5 minutes sufficient then you want to rinse them in a container of tank water then introducing under blue lights for 24-36 hrs gradually ramping normal intensity

OP
OP
D_Yurik

D_Yurik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recession due to stress.
15 minutes? 5 minutes sufficient then you want to rinse them in a container of tank water then introducing under blue lights for 24-36 hrs gradually ramping normal intensity
Sorry, I did miss that detail, I dis rinse in tank water. Do you think they will recoup if I start them under blue light tomorrow and slowly increase?

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.50 ammonia is a big jump. Something is suspect, likely with the additional rock added. The increase in ammonia likely would not have come from the coral, even if damaged. Check for any dead livestock, snails, over feeding.

Hard to say if they will recover. The favia looks damaged beyond healing but miracles do happen.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry, I did miss that detail, I dis rinse in tank water. Do you think they will recoup if I start them under blue light tomorrow and slowly increase?
These are forgiving coral and have a chance

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this an H2O2 dip or did you put the entire coral in straight 3% H2O2?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back