Favia Condition?

Landoh17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

I just got my first two frags! I got a hammer which seems to be doing good and I got a favia as well which I dont know much about. Here is the favia, I am a firefighter on a 48 hours shift at the moment so I'm having someone feed my fish and monitor my tank.

Can I get someone's opinion on the favia? The left head looks a little wonky to me. My reefing friends don't have a ton of experience with favia.
My parameters...
Temp: 78⁰
Salinity: 35ppm
Ammonia: 0
NO3: 10
NO2: 0
Phos: unreadableby salifert
10dKh
Calcium 510
Mag: 1450

Resized_20191025_151921_6170.jpg Resized_20191025_151918_1193.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fine to me. What do you see about it that makes you think something is wrong? They don’t require much care to be honest. A good light is enough for them. I see it’s on the bottom which is where I keep mine. Just make sure sand doesn’t get in it.

OP
OP
Landoh17

Landoh17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks fine to me. What do you see about it that makes you think something is wrong? They don’t require much care to be honest. A good light is enough for them. I see it’s on the bottom which is where I keep mine. Just make sure sand doesn’t get in it.
I noticed the one head is not as bright as the other, which could be from a fresh cut as mentioned above. I got a kessil a80 on it. I'm working on moving it to a lower rock edge on my scape. But thank you for the reassurance! It's my first tank and I'm a little paranoid

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the one head is not as bright as the other, which could be from a fresh cut as mentioned above. I got a kessil a80 on it. I'm working on moving it to a lower rock edge on my scape. But thank you for the reassurance! It's my first tank and I'm a little paranoid
It’ll heal quickly. But as someone else said, they take forever to grow. I think I have the same one as you (jolly rancher favia maybe?), it has encrusted over the rock only slightly. No new heads for many months now.

OP
OP
Landoh17

Landoh17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll heal quickly. But as someone else said, they take forever to grow. I think I have the same one as you (jolly rancher favia maybe?), it has encrusted over the rock only slightly. No new heads for many months now.
Maybe? I don't know what type mine is. LFS didn't know. Someone said a dragon soul but the colors are wrong. It seems to be doing better today!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a number of favia. Yours looks fine. They are pretty slow growers. But if it gets settled and happy, the colors should get more intense. Mine seem to like growing over rock. So placing it on a thin flat slab might help.

OP
OP
Landoh17

Landoh17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a number of favia. Yours looks fine. They are pretty slow growers. But if it gets settled and happy, the colors should get more intense. Mine seem to like growing over rock. So placing it on a thin flat slab might help.
Thats the plan once its fully acclimated

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%

Back