Favia Coral Colour

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

Picked up a small Favia coral today and only really noticed when i got home that some of the coral doesn't have any colour.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Possibly losing colour due to high lighting at the store maybe?

20230930_170149.jpg

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

Picked up a small Favia coral today and only really noticed when i got home that some of the coral doesn't have any colour.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Possibly losing colour due to high lighting at the store maybe?

20230930_170149.jpg
There’s definitely some skeleton showing, the parts that aren’t pink. I’d definitely keep an eye on it. The most concerning is the strip of exposed area that’s shown starting in front but there’s also some on the upper left.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s definitely some skeleton showing, the parts that aren’t pink. I’d definitely keep an eye on it. The most concerning is the strip of exposed area that’s shown starting in front but there’s also some on the upper left.
Would you move to lower light? Maybe on the sandbed somewhere?

Ordovician_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

20230930_170149.jpg

It can take days or weeks for corals to acclimate to new conditions and of course it will look different in your tank than the store's. And lighting differences can make a HUGE difference in color. As the other poster mentioned, I would be more concerned with the health of the coral and not it's color. The tissue damage is what would worry me.

As a rule, start acclimation of new corals in lower, rather than higher light. Too much light will do far more harm than too little.

RRA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
War corals are pretty hardy, I would definitely think there is an issue. Them being as hardy as they are I wouldn’t look at light as much as parameter being off/swing.

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it was in the store/bag on way home, it sort of looked like a minty green colour instead of white.

my other LPS corals are doing great so I'm hoping if it was struggling in the store, that it will slowly recover in my tank.

I've moved it into a lower position in the tank, onto the sand bed for now. Will keep an eye on it.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The grey part isn’t skeleton; it looks more like mottled coloration that is common in war corals (Favites pentagona), like this:
Source: Whitlyn Aquatics
1696089611828.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back