Favia speciosa being eatin!

Roc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Favia speciosa (at least I think thats what it is) about 3 weeks ago it looked like very healthy or at least comparing it to others I have seen, however today I noticed that portions of it seem to be disappearing or being eaten.
Faviaspeciosadamaged.jpg

I took this pic today and it looks like the skunk cleaner is eating the dead part, could he be eating it while it's alive and killing it?
besides this I have 2 false plecs and 3 red leg hermits
Perameters are:
Nitrite -0
Nitrate - 0
Amonina - 0
PH - 8.2
Salteny - 1.0215

OP
OP
R

Roc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alkalinity? calcium?

this is a lps, so i'm moving it to the correct forum

I don't have test kits for those...............

maybe its just receeding

What does that mean........ I didn't kmow this was an LPS maybe I don't have enough light (they need MH right) I have 2 X 65 watt CF over a 20 gal

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
favia are pretty forgivingof light, you likely have enough. you really should get an alkalinity test kit, salifert are good.

OP
OP
R

Roc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
favia are pretty forgivingof light, you likely have enough. you really should get an alkalinity test kit, salifert are good.

I will get one this weekend, if I cannot control this from disappearing I will try to trade it for some other types of corals it would be a smae to let it go away being that it is like 4" X 5"

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took this pic today and it looks like the skunk cleaner is eating the dead part, could he be eating it while it's alive and killing it?
besides this I have 2 false plecs and 3 red leg hermits
Perameters are:
Nitrite -0
Nitrate - 0
Amonina - 0
PH - 8.2
Salteny - 1.0215

hey Roc...here's my $0.02

- the shrimp is not doing anythign bad...just cleaning up any scraps and detritus on the exposed skeleton
- increase your salinity to 1.025 to 1.026....1.0215 is fine for fish, but not for live coral
- get some good flow on the coral...indirect...never direct!!
- personally, I don't believe in water changes....i may do a 10% water change every 2 to 3 months....I focus my time and energy on testing, supplements, and good quality equipment
-run carbon and phosphate media (in a fludiized canister for best results)

the coral itself is prolly just adjsuting to your tank...give it time...and like I said, get some heavy to medium-heavy flow on it.

and don't trade it in..it's a beatuiful piece...it'll colour up nicely given time and proper care.

oh, what is your calicum level at??

Zach

Last edited:

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with patwa, you need to raise your salinity, that is way too low for corals, minimum of 1.023, i'm at 26 or higher.

also, they are normally found in nature in areas of strong flow, i've had one for 3 years+ and it does the best when amongst sps in high light and high flow, it has grown around itself and is now basically a football shaped favia, with only a bit of rock left.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Roc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick question, if I do a water change say 20% and the salinty is still a little low, how would I rasie that?

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick question, if I do a water change say 20% and the salinty is still a little low, how would I rasie that?
i would jut have your water change water a bit higher salinity, say almost at 1.030, that way you'll be raising it with the change

OP
OP
R

Roc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is I don't mix my own water, I buy it from an LFS pre-mixed. So it sounds like I will need to get some more srtight R/O water and some salt mix?

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, your lfs is apparently jipping you out of some salt in your water,

you can also replace evaporated water with salt water, that will bring it up

BigBadZoaDaddy

Orange ya gonna Frag it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THat no water change thing is crazy info IMO!! If you use the right salt like Tropic Marin on a regular basis you should never have to dose much! And it can definatly help things get back to square.

Pataw I have a hard time beliving you would suggest such a thing?

If you are using additives, you are spending $$ on thoses keeping things where you want when salt can do alot of that for you and most are at the correct levels?

Now don't get me wrong I DO use some additives, but the differance between a full blown reef and a vetran reefer to a 55 G Mix beginer reef?

Last edited:

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back