Favia Tissue Receding/Showing Skeleton - Fixes and Cause?

logangeraghty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I recently purchased a favia colony and frag as the first additions to my Waterbox 20. I have experience with other tanks that are thriving (except phosphates that are too low haha). I only have two favia species in my other tank, a dragon soul and one unidentified. They are both coming back around after going through a rough patch. My primary issue right now is that the two new favia are showing slight signs of recession and skeleton as opposed to the full flesh they had on arrival. I'm not sure what's wrong and am looking for some help regarding the situation. The new tank has fully cycled and my readings are:
2 PPM Nitrate
0 Detectable Phosphate
0 Ammonia
1.024 - 1.025 Salinity (Checked with Hanna, am currently bringing it back up to stable 1.025)
Alk 7.6
Calc 400
Can do a Mag test if that will help.

I am running carbon and marine pure balls for filtration along with the stock waterbox 2.75" sock. 3D printing a replacement for the sock so that I can use filter floss instead this afternoon. Tried reducing light (AI Prime 16HD mounted 12 inches above waterline with a max output of 24W) by starting an acclimation period, and I've also tried spot feeding last night. No improvements yet. I've attached some photos for reference. All fish and inverts are doing fine.

IMG_7982.JPG IMG_7983.JPG

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you feed a weak LPS it takes quite some time for the coral to eat. When I get LPS like this it can take up to 3 hours for the coral to get the food all the way in. You really need to make sure that the pumps are off and no mauraders steal the food. Some people like to use the covers so that the coral isn't disturbed. This is ok but bristle worms can and will get in. Also I use a meaty food like mysis so that the coral gets calories. Here is something similar to what I currently use https://reefchasers.com/products/reef-candy-dry-reef-food-40g?_pos=7&_sid=c313b7884&_ss=r

You want to do this everyday until the coral lets the food sit (this after it taking it in for a few days). When you see this, you can then go to 3x per week. Then after a few weeks go to 2x per week. This entire process can take up to a month to turn a coral around.

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience favia likes lower light levels. It might take a few weeks to see improvement with the light reduction. You might want to shade it for a few days and see how it responds to that.

OP
OP
L

logangeraghty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience favia likes lower light levels. It might take a few weeks to see improvement with the light reduction. You might want to shade it for a few days and see how it responds to that.
When you say "shade it" do you mean to place it in an area that has no direct light whatsoever? I do have a floating arch that provides a substantial amount of shade, I could put it under there if you think that might help?

OP
OP
L

logangeraghty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you feed a weak LPS it takes quite some time for the coral to eat. When I get LPS like this it can take up to 3 hours for the coral to get the food all the way in. You really need to make sure that the pumps are off and no mauraders steal the food. Some people like to use the covers so that the coral isn't disturbed. This is ok but bristle worms can and will get in. Also I use a meaty food like mysis so that the coral gets calories. Here is something similar to what I currently use https://reefchasers.com/products/reef-candy-dry-reef-food-40g?_pos=7&_sid=c313b7884&_ss=r

You want to do this everyday until the coral lets the food sit (this after it taking it in for a few days). When you see this, you can then go to 3x per week. Then after a few weeks go to 2x per week. This entire process can take up to a month to turn a coral around.
Ok, I'll pick up some supplies today and get that process started. I've only recently received the coral (About 3 days ago) and it seemed ok for the first couple of days but then I noticed some areas with skeleton showing. The acan that I added, on the other hand, is already healing from its frag cuts and settling in quite nicely!

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll pick up some supplies today and get that process started. I've only recently received the coral (About 3 days ago) and it seemed ok for the first couple of days but then I noticed some areas with skeleton showing. The acan that I added, on the other hand, is already healing from its frag cuts and settling in quite nicely!
Best time to feed is a couple hours after the light goes out.

Good luck. :)

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "shade it" do you mean to place it in an area that has no direct light whatsoever? I do have a floating arch that provides a substantial amount of shade, I could put it under there if you think that might help?
Yes, just to get a quicker hint as how lower light might affect it. I tend to do that when my frags get stressed.

OP
OP
L

logangeraghty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just to get a quicker hint as how lower light might affect it. I tend to do that when my frags get stressed.
No luck with the shade today... I fed some mysis last night. Not too much of an improvement if any... Ordered some neonitro and neophos to get the nutrients up. Any other ideas in the meantime?

OP
OP
L

logangeraghty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back