Favities coral ID-please

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
Just curious if anyone can help further I’d these two corals. Both I believe are Favities, the first I think is Favities Pentagona the second I’m not sure. I’m interested just so I can dial in the care requirements. Thanks in advance

4211845B-5F1A-40BC-9D18-F0E3172EF160.jpeg F1D36A9C-AB2F-4C2B-8F93-741709CF932F.jpeg

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same coral. It was sold to me as war coral. I've been going with that since

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, That was my best guess. Seeing as they both seem to have the same general structure. The only difference is that the second frag is not as uniform as the first.
I’m targeting low-moderate light and flow.
What’s been your experience with respect to growth rates and aggressiveness ? Do you have any pictures to share?
Thanks

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks, That was my best guess. Seeing as they both seem to have the same general structure. The only difference is that the second frag is not as uniform as the first.
I’m targeting low-moderate light and flow.
What’s been your experience with respect to growth rates and aggressiveness ? Do you have any pictures to share?
Thanks
He's been a slow grower. I had my lights set pretty low for about a year and kept my nutrients fairly low. When I raised those every thing started taking off. Lately, he's grown a lot. I just wish I would have taken him off the plug. He's got that noticeable dome shape.

Attachments

• 20231008_211733.jpg
    20231008_211733.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 27

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First one is Favites pentagona. Second one is not Favites, but it is in the same family (Merulinidae). Looks like it's been deformed from being in captivity for a long time.

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think these would grow on glass? Thinking about trying to grow one on my back glass?

OP
OP
N

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can thes be slowly acclimated into the 150-200 PAR range. The Pentagona frag looks puffy and happy. The second frag doesn’t seem as fluffy. I’m thinking about moving it into more direct light.
Reading about these species of corals is confusing because most reports suggest low light bottom of the tank. However others suggest moderate lighting. The real confusing part is when you look at the corals national habitat. Naturally I think they are in direct light at low to moderate depths.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thank you

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back