Favorite Reef Safe Wrasse UNDER $50????

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nebulous wrasse
As they mature they get pretty aggressive toward other reef safe wrasses and will eat motile inverts.
Mine was labeled from Indonesia. So I'm assuming that's the Bali sub-group.
It will have yellow along its back and have more color along it's flanks.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go
As they mature they get pretty aggressive toward other reef safe wrasses and will eat motile inverts.

Good to know... my has been a model citizen...

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is so many great choices for you to choose from. I have 5 wrasses and 4 of them were under $50. Leopard, Yellow Coris, Cleaner and Six Line. They all serve a purpose in my tank and all great choices. Then my last one was WAYYYYY over budget but a must have when my LFS found one for me. This Choati started out about 1.5” and is now over 3” long after 2 years in my tank. If you can find one splurge and get one it’s 100% reef safe and stunning.
a48ab601b8743d64da28d6fd06c4c6f2.jpg
059f0fcccef602e77e674a9748847f7e.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, it does have yellow. Score! Always learning something new in this hobby. Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to share.

~Gary

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The under $50 is a bummer!:D Lots of good choices already.

The yellow halichoeres wrasse (I can't make myself say coris) is an under rated beauty. When they get mature their head is stunning and their bright yellow bodies are eye catchers. Mine grew to over 6" in my tank and was the most trouble free fish in the tank. Didn't bother any fish, coral or inverts. Some other inexpensive Halichoeres wrasses I like
Vrolik's wrasse...similar to melanurus
Vrolik's 14-11-21 #1.jpg

H. claudia....don't see them often but mine was inexpensive at my LFS.
H. claudia 1 (2)_edited.jpg

H. biocellatus.
H. biocellatus.jpg

Lot's of flasher wrasses would fit your requirements but I would strongly recommend to get at least two....their much more likely to display when there is a rival around.
This is a yellow fin, which is my favorite inexpensive flasher.
Yellow fin flasher2 (1 of 1).jpg

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Coris Wrasse
3010139bb397dffa78e25392e4b45c4f.jpg
Be care with this one -- quite the jumper / escape artist (but so are many wrasses)

My coris managed to jump out of my tank sometime last night between 4A (when I went to bed) and 8:30A despite have a lid). I nearly stepped on it (actually kinda did... I was turning around to go after feeding my tanks and something stocky caught my foot... which is how I discovered the coris drying on the floor)

Thought it was a goner but threw it into a tank as hail mary, and hopeful it might pull through. Finally uprighted itself after a few hours but still breathing heavy.... :(

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be care with this one -- quite the jumper / escape artist (but so are many wrasses)

My coris managed to jump out of my tank sometime last night between 4A (when I went to bed) and 8:30A despite have a lid). I nearly stepped on it (actually kinda did... I was turning around to go after feeding my tanks and something stocky caught my foot... which is how I discovered the coris drying on the floor)

Thought it was a goner but threw it into a tank as hail mary, and hopeful it might pull through. Finally uprighted itself after a few hours but still breathing heavy.... :(

I know the feeling. I had a choati leopard jump out during a water change while I had the screen top off. I was distracted by a phone call and never noticed it had jumped out. I found it the next day dried up behind the tank:( I was so upset and mad at myself for that dumb mistake.

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling. I had a choati leopard jump out during a water change while I had the screen top off. I was distracted by a phone call and never noticed it had jumped out. I found it the next day dried up behind the tank:( I was so upset and mad at myself for that dumb mistake.
finding dried up fish is probably at top of the list in my book for worst things about this hobby... never find one and go "oh well..."

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 180 I have a Pink Streaked, Yellow Banded Possum (less than 50 if you get a deal) and a Yellow Coris. They all have different personalities and each are fun to watch. They'll keep the bugs away for sure.

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17aeef92020b477d48bd678a8b4d1fb0.jpg

My most recent order from LA. They all are super pretty. Bought these to go along with a pintail wrasse

Whysosalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also shoutout to #eatbreakfast for his suggestions on the wrasses to pair with my pintail wrasse!!! Excellent choice, they are all peaceful and so pretty

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just purchased a real nice melanurus Great fish ! That Choati wrasse is beautiful never seen one before.

azreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just purchased a real nice melanurus Great fish ! That Choati wrasse is beautiful never seen one before.

I looked for a Choati for a couple of years and could never find one. I had never seen one in person. My LFS found it for me and I had to have it. They are pricy I paid $199 couple years ago and have not seen one again so not sure what they go for today. My tank is well stocked with Fish and corals and the Choati is the main attraction when people see it.

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS just had 2 in stock at a whopping $299.99 each... very beautiful fish though. I’m looking to add a few wrasse to my tank as well.

Don’t yellow coris wrasse grow to be really big? Or am I thinking of something else?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are y’alls thoughts on the red coris? How destructive are they? If every sps is well encrusted and glued down. And the rock work is cemented?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back