Favorite Reef Safe Wrasse UNDER $50????

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are y’alls thoughts on the red coris? How destructive are they? If every sps is well encrusted and glued down. And the rock work is cemented?

I don't think they are as desctructive or as large as say a dragon wrasse but they get well over a foot in the wild. They are certainly beautiful as adult, especially dominant males. I think the clean up crew would be on the menu.

This one was off the Kona coast.
unkown Coris Wrassse 3 (1 of 1).jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they are as desctructive or as large as say a dragon wrasse but they get well over a foot in the wild. They are certainly beautiful as adult, especially dominant males. I think the clean up crew would be on the menu.

This one was off the Kona coast.
unkown Coris Wrassse 3 (1 of 1).jpg
They are definitely tough on any inveets and anything not glued down is liable to be flipped.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran into this same thing as well, after deciding I love the look of fairy wrasses, then seeing the price on a lot of them is north of $100 CAD which I can't get behind at this stage of my hobby career..

So far I've picked up:
1x Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Orange / pink / purple / yellow colouring)
1x Blue-Sided Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura
1x Social Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus rubriventralis

Love the look of all of them for different reasons, though the blue-sided does get a bit rambunctious.

fightingfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, don’t mean to hijack!

Would a flasher wrasse do work 9n bristleworms the same as a sixline? I’d like a wrasse, but I’ve heard sixlines can grow to be tank bullies. Is there any other reef safe wrasse that will eat pests, but be less of a jerk? Thanks!

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, don’t mean to hijack!

Would a flasher wrasse do work 9n bristleworms the same as a sixline? I’d like a wrasse, but I’ve heard sixlines can grow to be tank bullies. Is there any other reef safe wrasse that will eat pests, but be less of a jerk? Thanks!

Six lines often get aggressive. Look at halicheores for pest control with less attitude. Flashers and fairies wont do much hunting. My tanakas possum also goes to town on bugs.

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet another vote for melanarus wrasse. Easy to come by. Hearty. Attractive. Tough enough to not get picked on but not overly aggressive. Get to a pretty decent size in terminal phase. And yes they’ll go to town on bugs and worms all day and night.

It’s true, they will go after some CUC. Mine took out all my hermits, nassarius, snails, most the stomatella snails, and most the amphipods. This has just kind of opened my eyes to how little those critters actually do though. They mostly just eat biofilm. I don’t worry about left over food. Between my tangs and foxface any food that hits the sand is quickly found and eaten. You want something for algae control, get an urchin. Snails are fairly useless for that. I have a dozen peppermint shrimp on order though....I will however be furious if my melanarus and sixline decide to dine on them all

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its been said, and I should have listened. Don't make the same mistake I did. PUT A LID ON THE TANK if you are going to have a wrasse. Mine jumped out recently. Blue streaked cleaner wrasse. Super friendly little guy. Cheap and hardy. Never had a bit of trouble with him. Please make sure you have a lid!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its been said, and I should have listened. Don't make the same mistake I did. PUT A LID ON THE TANK if you are going to have a wrasse. Mine jumped out recently. Blue streaked cleaner wrasse. Super friendly little guy. Cheap and hardy. Never had a bit of trouble with him. Please make sure you have a lid!

Indeed, blue streak cleaner and most flashers are HIGHLY motivated jumpers. My blue streak found its way out of a 1x1 inch hole I cut in the screen top for feeding.

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tossing in my Q in here too lol,

If i want to add 2 reef safe ( coral and CUC/invert friendly) wrasses which would you recommend? (125 gal tank 6ft long)

Preferably a wrasse to pair with an exquisite wrasse

Peanut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the people with 3, 4+, did you add all of them at the same time? any issues adding 1 to an established tank?

I personally haven't really tried any other than the 6 line which I love

Fr0stguard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the people with 3, 4+, did you add all of them at the same time? any issues adding 1 to an established tank?

I personally haven't really tried any other than the 6 line which I love

If they are all community wrasse like mine I added them at random times. Only ones I added together was a ruby head fairy and a yellow coris and I have 10 now. They do a little bickering at first to establish hierarchy between them then they all become peaceful typically. A six line will most likely be aggressive when adding new ones unless your extremely lucky fyi.

bigroost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my wrasses seem to be model citizens. I can only quarantine one fish at a time, so it’s usually a couple of months between each addition, never had a bullying issue with them.

John ob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a wrasse that is a carnivore of silver sides snails crabs shrimp and any Coral that waves in the breeze. Just keep him well fed

1519695703235396829384.jpg

liveround69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a six line and melanurus wrasse in my 37 column reef with 2 breeding goldstripe maroon clownfish. The female maroon runs the tank. As if you didnt know that already. haha But i really love my melanurus wrasse. He is so cool and always runs to hide behind the rock work if he is being harassed. Very pretty color scheme and funny personality. Eats well and hides in the sandbed at night. Doesnt disturb my corals. Does tend to check out the weak older hermits to see if they are ready to cash in their chips yet. If not leaves em alone.

The six line also is a nice fish to have . Both the six line and melanurus wrasses control flatworms, copepod populations pretty well. [I had a major outbreak due to overfeeding the tank while breeding the maroons]

Good luck
20180226_201222.jpg
20180226_201223(0).jpg
20180226_201415.jpg
20180226_201422.jpg
20180226_201752.jpg
20180226_201829.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back