Favorite Reef Safe Wrasse UNDER $50????

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite by far is the blue star leopard wrasse. I wouldn't do more than 2 of those though.
Leopards can be kept as a harem in aquaria.
Question for the people with 3, 4+, did you add all of them at the same time? any issues adding 1 to an established tank?

I personally haven't really tried any other than the 6 line which I love
A social acclimation box does wonders for mitigating any aggression when adding new wrasses.

However, sixlines have a particular dislike for other wrasses.

SonoranReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is so many great choices for you to choose from. I have 5 wrasses and 4 of them were under $50. Leopard, Yellow Coris, Cleaner and Six Line. They all serve a purpose in my tank and all great choices. Then my last one was WAYYYYY over budget but a must have when my LFS found one for me. This Choati started out about 1.5” and is now over 3” long after 2 years in my tank. If you can find one splurge and get one it’s 100% reef safe and stunning.
a48ab601b8743d64da28d6fd06c4c6f2.jpg
059f0fcccef602e77e674a9748847f7e.jpg
I looked for a Choati for a couple of years and could never find one. I had never seen one in person. My LFS found it for me and I had to have it. They are pricy I paid $199 couple years ago and have not seen one again so not sure what they go for today. My tank is well stocked with Fish and corals and the Choati is the main attraction when people see it.

Hey I see you are in AZ, Studio Blue actually just had two of these. They were able to get one two weeks in a row on their shipments! They were excited because they said they had been trying for 2 years to get one in the store! I was very tempted when I was there last week and saw it, was an awesome leopard wrasse. I believe they were asking $169

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K65m9uf.jpg

My big boy cirrhilabrus rubrimarginalis..

89nsNFA.jpg

My little Cirrhilabrus lubbocki..

I don't have a good pic of my newly acquired exquisite wrasse.. but it's a looker.

SonoranReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Meyori Leopard Wrasse last week. It’s beautiful, this picture doesn’t do it justice. It has blue fins too that don’t show up in this picture as well. Also was taken when getting used to it’s new surroundings and has colored up a little more. It is super active already!

It was $59... sorry to break the budget [emoji6]

cdbdbc8d94e8bb1b5ef7fbed923d66ff.jpg

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3320.PNG
The lubbocks from Bali rather than Cebu is one of my favorites. I also love the pennant of the social fairy wrasse. And the Pacific Ocean exquisite fairy wrasses are spectacular when they display.

I'll +1 exquisite. Very social and mild mannered. I purchased a female from LA but was sent a terminal male.... I didn't complain

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Meyori Leopard Wrasse last week. It’s beautiful, this picture doesn’t do it justice. It has blue fins too that don’t show up in this picture as well. Also was taken when getting used to it’s new surroundings and has colored up a little more. It is super active already!

It was $59... sorry to break the budget [emoji6]

cdbdbc8d94e8bb1b5ef7fbed923d66ff.jpg

Great price beautiful wrasse it’s been on my list for a long time.

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3320.PNG

I'll +1 exquisite. Very social and mild mannered. I purchased a female from LA but was sent a terminal male.... I didn't complain

Do you have another wrasse in that tank? if so which one is it? Looking to add a wrasse with an exquisite

SonoranReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great price beautiful wrasse it’s been on my list for a long time.

Yes the more I have been reading about it the more I am finding out that was a good price on a somewhat rare wrasse! Out of all the wrasses I have bought this one has been the most active literally the day I put it in the tank! Didn’t stay burried for a week, eating mysis, pellets and whatever else I throw at it like a pig! Hoping that means this little gal will last a long time. Also seems to be getting along with my male ornate leopard just fine!

maasman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 line, yellow coris, and leopard in my 120. Those three fish destroy any and every pest ever!

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have another wrasse in that tank? if so which one is it? Looking to add a wrasse with an exquisite

I do. I have a female/transitioning? c. cf lunatus (lunate fairy wrasse). I'd read that they could be VERY timid.. That's not the case with mine.

IMG_3324.PNG

keithdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread and advice.

I had 6line and he was the bomb in my BB - sadly, during a tank move, he got stuck in rock work ;(

Any advice for same, but in a Bare Bottom System? 120G

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the people with 3, 4+, did you add all of them at the same time? any issues adding 1 to an established tank?

I personally haven't really tried any other than the 6 line which I love

I have a melanarus, ruby head fairy, and sixline. Added in that order. About a year apart from each other. Melanarus is the boss. And basically let the other two know it immediately. Then it let up after a couple days of bullying. Now they completely ignore each other. No territorial disputes or feeding quarrels.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the more I have been reading about it the more I am finding out that was a good price on a somewhat rare wrasse! Out of all the wrasses I have bought this one has been the most active literally the day I put it in the tank! Didn’t stay burried for a week, eating mysis, pellets and whatever else I throw at it like a pig! Hoping that means this little gal will last a long time. Also seems to be getting along with my male ornate leopard just fine!

They should do fine together. Leopards are some of my fav wrasses.

kid976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno about the rest of the country but pintail fairy wrasses have been popping up in Southern California fish stores for $50 recently. Beautiful wrasses and for that a price a steal.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my wrasse tank before the tank broke. As long as you pick the right ones that can play nice together you will be fine. I had over 10 in this tank never had a problem. About to do it again but this time in my reef I already started collecting
b00c27601ffc2b73545babf5ad433287.jpg

07113e52bff26d4bb4dce37de5748c85.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back