Favorite Reefing Milestones

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With reefing being such a long-term and sometimes difficult hobby, what are some of your favorite reefing milestones? Was it reaching a certain tank age? Was it keeping a particular difficult fish or coral for a long period of time?

Being a fairly new reefer (not quite 3 years), mine is keeping my first reef tank going for over 2 years now. I'm almost to year 3 and hope to keep it going for several more years or at least until I upgrade.

What are your favorite reefing milestones?

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal milestone is when I killed $1000 worth of fish, 7in hippo, 5yr Yellow and Sailfin, among 3 others with a overdose of LaCl3, trying to reduce po4 from 0.5 to 0.2
Woah! I never thought about negative milestones, but honestly that's the hallmark of a true, veteran reefer. You have to be able to push through the failures, overcome the struggles and learn from them.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah! I never thought about negative milestones, but honestly that's the hallmark of a true, veteran reefer. You have to be able to push through the failures, overcome the struggles and learn from them.
Or cry for 3 days....
Season 14 Crying GIF by The Bachelorette

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting into high end sps and torches! Yes it’s expensive, but so worth it. And you can make some money on the side from it. It changed then hobby for me.
Nice! I'm really trying to get there, but as with everything in this hobby I don't want to rush. I've learned a lot from this first tank which will help me reach that next milestone.

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big ones for me
The day I put water in the 8 foot tank I always wanted.
Keeping some lionfish.
Keeping some eels.
Keeping some angels.
Keeping some butterflies.
Those are some awesome milestones! I'm definitely wanting to keep eels, butterflies, and angels at some point...not necessarily in the same tank though. Haha!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some awesome milestones! I'm definitely wanting to keep eels, butterflies, and angels at some point...not necessarily in the same tank though. Haha!
Who said anything about 1 tank.
IMG_3901-L.jpg

There are a whole lot of personal milestones in this pic as well as reefing ones.

The angels are in the big tank.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a successful first tank, a rs aio 60 that grew everything. Until it crashed... 1st neg. milestone was marine velvet in that tank. and tank ran on higher parameters

2nd tank, 125 was ultimately a negative overall except I learned how to use a sump and designed/put it together (hubby did the plumbing after I figured it out). Too many negatives including a used tank (no glass clarity), marco rock not rinsed, poor lights, constant powerhead failures, high no3 and po4

3rd tank is my biggest milestone. Best in numbers, best set up, best in corals including sps and goni's
--240 gal
--1 mo old and is perfect!
--perfect parameters including po4 (having to dose) and no 3 at 5. This is a huge one for me
Better tank (RS 3xl900), better equipment, UV Sterilizer , good rock, and soon, apex hooked up

20211102_183834.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back