Feather duster reproducing?

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My feather duster has been acting weird for the past week or two. I noticed she was staying in her tube more than normal and I would see only one "feather" sticking out at times. I was worried. I've had her for well over a year now and she's seemed quite content. For the past few days she's been back to normal.

Tonight I was looking in my tank and saw what looks like a tiny bit of "feathers" sticking out of the tube next to the big mass of "feathers." So I called up Dr. Google and found an article that says that they can reproduce asexually. Has anyone seen this in their tanks? See the image below.

2018 Nov 3 feather duster.jpg

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been about 3 weeks and I've been watching the new feathers coming in - now she looks like she has two distinct and separate heads. It's hard to see in the photo but you can tell there are two clumps of "feathers" that are different sizes. So, either she's a two headed variety or she's asexually reproducing.

If she moves so the angle is better I'll break out the better camera. This is just a quickie with the cell phone to update everyone.

2018 Nov 20 feather duster poss reproducing.jpg

OP
OP
ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 7 months since I originally posted this. The "second " head vanished and I quit wondering about it.

Then, last night, I was getting a good look at a nearly hidden part of the tank and!

I have a second feather duster worm! It DID reproduce. Sorry that I don't have pictures, it is in a very hard to see spot. I hope she'll grow and become easier to see. Right now she's about 1/4 - 1/3 the size of her parent.

Soooo exciting. Just had to brag.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back