Feature Request for Gyre Flow Pumps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It does look like the new controllers could do what I want, but that would be a $1k upgrade as opposed to what should just be a fairly simple software change.

I also like that I can turn them off when I put my tank in maintenance mode and that if I forget to restart them, they do automatically after 1.5 hours. Being able to push one button on a touch screen to make my system go from running to ready for a water change is a very nice feature that I would lose even with the new controllers.
See my last post. and this blog - the app works with F200 series as well. You just need the IVC -6 or ICV-6 controller (which is 49$)
https://blog.coralvue.com/maxpect-gyre-pump-syna-g-control/

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also like that I can turn them off when I put my tank in maintenance mode and that if I forget to restart them, they do automatically after 1.5 hours. Being able to push one button on a touch screen to make my system go from running to ready for a water change is a very nice feature that I would lose even with the new controllers.

I don't know how your controller works - I have an apex - so I just have the maxspect plugged into one of the controllable outlets. Either way you can use the phone app to control your pumps as well

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 Here is a link to the blog describing what you need - it also works with the F200 models - the firmware just needs to be upgraded. Then you need the Syna-g App downloaded on your phone - and you need to be certain the firmware on your Gyres are > version 2.0. Double check the exact model you have - as im not sure 'all' gyres are usable with this. You then need the IVC-6 module its like 49.99

https://blog.coralvue.com/maxpect-gyre-pump-syna-g-control/
I would need a second XF250 controller, and I'm not sure they are even available anymore. I have mine running on Icecap interfaces and only have 1 controller from the first pair I purchased. So you are still looking at almost $200 and losing the ability to controller them from my Profilux.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how your controller works - I have an apex - so I just have the maxspect plugged into one of the controllable outlets. Either way you can use the phone app to control your pumps as well
But I'm guessing your Apex can't initiate feed modes, maintenance modes, or other speed control changes, correct? That is functionality I don't want to lose.

U

User1

View Badges
Have to 2nd the upgrade option. If I went that route while I'm personally not as bad as @Brew12 cost even a pair is exceeding 600 that I'd need to replace. If that was a viable option I would actually switch products. I think they missed an opportunity here to develop a firmware upgrade for those of us with the XF2xx line. Disappointment for me anyway.

The best you can do Brew is to use the 24 hour clock and pulse with a higher delay. I also did not have much luck finding a balance but I'm also getting hit with a tank that doesn't have enough coral growth to break up the flow. I'm actually considering removing mine all together and splitting my returns. Right now a single Cor 15 is driving a pair of returns with 1" sea swirls. My Cor 20 arrived yesterday so will be plumbing that one on its own line for the furthest or longest plumbed run sea swirl and move the Cor 15 to the one with the shorter run. Added in a pair of random flow nozzles and call it a day.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But I'm guessing your Apex can't initiate feed modes, maintenance modes, or other speed control changes, correct? That is functionality I don't want to lose.
Yes it can - you just click - feed A or whatever - and the gyres shut off - because the power to the Gyre is controlled through the apex - its only the other programming thats controlled through the App

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have to 2nd the upgrade option. If I went that route while I'm personally not as bad as @Brew12 cost even a pair is exceeding 600 that I'd need to replace. If that was a viable option I would actually switch products. I think they missed an opportunity here to develop a firmware upgrade for those of us with the XF2xx line. Disappointment for me anyway.

The best you can do Brew is to use the 24 hour clock and pulse with a higher delay. I also did not have much luck finding a balance but I'm also getting hit with a tank that doesn't have enough coral growth to break up the flow. I'm actually considering removing mine all together and splitting my returns. Right now a single Cor 15 is driving a pair of returns with 1" sea swirls. My Cor 20 arrived yesterday so will be plumbing that one on its own line for the furthest or longest plumbed run sea swirl and move the Cor 15 to the one with the shorter run. Added in a pair of random flow nozzles and call it a day.
FYI - 2 F350 Gyres - which at 100% would wreck my tank - were 500 something......

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - the App can also do all of those things - so its a matter of clicking a button on your phone to do those things - (because I can manage my apex on my phone) - you can do it either through the coralvue App - or the Apex unfortunately I don't know how yours works. I gave up on the icecap module long ago - the app provided by maxspect is far better (IMHO)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would need a second XF250 controller, and I'm not sure they are even available anymore. I have mine running on Icecap interfaces and only have 1 controller from the first pair I purchased. So you are still looking at almost $200 and losing the ability to controller them from my Profilux.
they are available

U

User1

View Badges
FYI - 2 F350 Gyres - which at 100% would wreck my tank - were 500 something......

I'm trying to remember what I paid for mine. Maybe under that. First XF250 with the controller was on sale but I think maybe 250 - 280 range. Second one obviously didn't need a controller so I think was 180'ish. I've said in other threads that they are good, they move water, and are unique in that you can swap the paddles around and get some unique flows. I've also said that I'm not a fan of the controller or the fact I needed to buy middleware to talk to the Apex.

To be fair part of the issue is around tank maturity. My 210 gallon is only a year old so still maturing even though I moved a 40 breeder into it there are not many corals since my LPS/Hammers didn't take too well to the move. Personally I'm having issues getting a proper flow regardless of how I set them in the tank and with what flow I'm using. It could be different if there was more in the tank to break it up.

BTW - you and I have crossed a few threads today - I swear I am not stalking you :) Just kidding - hope your day is going well.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm trying to remember what I paid for mine. Maybe under that. First XF250 with the controller was on sale but I think maybe 250 - 280 range. Second one obviously didn't need a controller so I think was 180'ish. I've said in other threads that they are good, they move water, and are unique in that you can swap the paddles around and get some unique flows. I've also said that I'm not a fan of the controller or the fact I needed to buy middleware to talk to the Apex.

To be fair part of the issue is around tank maturity. My 210 gallon is only a year old so still maturing even though I moved a 40 breeder into it there are not many corals since my LPS/Hammers didn't take too well to the move. Personally I'm having issues getting a proper flow regardless of how I set them in the tank and with what flow I'm using. It could be different if there was more in the tank to break it up.

BTW - you and I have crossed a few threads today - I swear I am not stalking you :) Just kidding - hope your day is going well.
I've had a few 'powerbeads' - and the F350s are by far the best - when it comes to programmability - and flow (My opinion). I haven't used vortex, etc. I also gave up trying to use the apex to program devices when the devices themselves come with controllers that are optimal for those devices. Thats just my preference. In all honesty - I had problems with the icecap and the controller for Aquaillumination trying to do it through the apex - I haven't had any problem programming/using them outside of apex. I could have just had bad luck..

satttheman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my gyre flow

Screenshot_20190405-203541_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190405-203528_Samsung Internet.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have close with my icecap 3k units but the wave pattern shown is I believe Maverics on the apex WAV pump

ispookie666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run four tunze 6105 and two stream 3 as 4 groups in four streams. Use sinusoudal wave with different peaks and duration. So that rarely two of them are at the peaks and its random.

But the tunze controller gives a better flow pattern than profilux.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 - the Apex can do the feed mode, night mode and even thunderstorms, but you must go into advance program mode to do those. It not a point and click on the phone app like in the GHL.

They do have more features planned for the stream groups. I would be happy if they would double the illumination set points to start so we could do the gyre type effects throughout the day :)

I have four Tunze I use a combination of sinus and right angles to provide the flow. It is chaotic sometimes on one tank. On the other I have the GHL vortech controller and the power heads and that works very well pretty much all the features of the controller at accessible. I shy away from doing that is my new tank because I have had two rust out on me in four years and really did not want to do on my new tank. I like the Tunze power heads a lot they are so easy to clean, and are little work horses.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 - the Apex can do the feed mode, night mode and even thunderstorms, but you must go into advance program mode to do those. It not a point and click on the phone app like in the GHL.

They do have more features planned for the stream groups. I would be happy if they would double the illumination set points to start so we could do the gyre type effects throughout the day :)

I have four Tunze I use a combination of sinus and right angles to provide the flow. It is chaotic sometimes on one tank. On the other I have the GHL vortech controller and the power heads and that works very well pretty much all the features of the controller at accessible. I shy away from doing that is my new tank because I have had two rust out on me in four years and really did not want to do on my new tank. I like the Tunze power heads a lot they are so easy to clean, and are little work horses.
Congrats on the Controller Advisor banner!

I'm fairly familiar with how to program an Apex, I was just checking if those features could be used through the interface with the Gyre controller and I don't believe they can.
Doubling the amount of illumination set points, even if it were just for 2 to 4 special "flow" channels would work very well, too. Might be even easier than what I was looking for. If they would take the last 8 channels and combine them into 4 channels it might be a very easy solution with no additional processing resources needed.

The Profilux has some wonderful flow options in their stream pump controls. I think it would be nice if they could add one designed specifically for slowly alternating gyres.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my gyre flow

Screenshot_20190405-203541_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190405-203528_Samsung Internet.jpg
This is basically what I right now, but the Profilux has around 10 fewer possible programming points than the Apex so I can't get it to alternate as many times.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even easier would be to just change the min and maximum limit for wave function in Stream
It wouldn't work quite the same way, but its a great idea. Could sure get close!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back