Feedback on stocking plan wanted

Osric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 220G build, for which I plan to have a refugium sized at about 180-240G for a total system volume of about 400G, I was thinking the following stocking plan.

Critical feedback wanted

? Pair of Copperband Butterflies (Chelmon rostratus)
copperband01.jpg

Harem of Dwarf Angelfish, either
image.php
FlameAngelWMA_Ap8SA.jpg

? Maybe a Forktail Blenny (Meiacanthus atrodorsalis)
meiacanthusatrodorsalis.jpg

? Maybe a Bicolor Blenny (Ecsenius bicolor) (but listed as alternative to Gravieri, which I replace with Rainford’s)
bicolorBlenny4.jpg

A Rainford’s Goby (Amblygobius rainfordi) in place of Gravieri Nemateleotris
rainfords_goby_jpg.jpg

Maybe a Neon Damselfish (Indonisia, east indian ocean, thailand)
pomacentrusalleni.jpg

Either a pair of Signigobius biocellatus OR Valenciennea puellaris → Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus), paired, ideally
251_yellowwatchmangobydemartini.jpg

Invertebrates

3 Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
lysmata-amboinensis.jpg

Corals

1 Blasto Colony
Blastomussa-merleti-4.jpg

? Maybe? 1 Button Coral (Cynarina) and/or 1 Trachyphyllia
cynarina2.jpg

1 Candy Cane Coral (Caulastrea)
Caulastrea-furcata-–-Neon-Green-Candy-Cane-Colony-2-Side.jpg

1 Favia
Favia-Coral-300x198.png

?Maybe, in the right color? 1 Fungia or 1 Herpolitha?
GCLFU380AA_large.png

1 Galaxea
image.jpeg

1 Hydnophora
Hydnophora-grandis-Florescent-Green-Colony-1-Front.jpg

? Maybe 1 Catalaphyllia in the right color morph
5850813843_35e0718cb2_b.jpg

1 Euphyllia (Frogspawn)
Euphyllia-glabrescens.jpg

1 Bubble Coral (Plerogyra) or Physogyra
Plerogyra-sinuosa-Green-Bubble-Coral-3-14K.jpg

? Maybe one Lobophyllia
lobophyllia-miami-hurricane-reef-od.jpg

1 Turbinaria
Turbinaria_reniformis_2.jpg

? Maybe a Regal Angel (Pygoplites diacanthus) cf Advanced Aquarist article
pygoplites-diacanthus-flavescens.jpg

? Maybe a pair of Mandarin Dragonets (Synchiropus splendidus)
Red Mandarin-600x600.jpg

Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor)
img_9327.jpg

Clownfish! (Amphiprioninae ocellaris or percula)
YsG2cj3cQTyuTH92zCVMihX9TiI-3tVGATq1EulXBhG_OOYVWa6Rv9YCTop9qyxx1bWKpcdcDigm1v9VFTGym38shK0ICmDaEWYhwCRG2FDv8Bszun15HawRMTujCmrASnfuoGJh5AuNdsB8rZLGXNwRWNvADw-ZjIDpys9Cuf7m56ktKlYuOPjUrkvlF7MC1eCyrtfpSN4knrrlUKaSvOy-KB_FNoGn3ph5AXPUBu5R8acXoCle7MKs3Gcqt1u7O1QogN25gaOy4dz-xGiMAUaslg7BErmLMLIxlb3Bzvu3QhshtAcYi1E_i9SNF2tlpmTbd_2Q8XNQ77INgRDrHX2fIwX5UgZ1SZV_Xn-Psc1QZlOdNGuctYGKEk4-EEIh6zkphj0JeUJb3GVB22_G6daKhGQzOJcp_cR89iKnxbIXC2rxtAUq5ogcQj_P8L3xs0Hzw-iGoB-m7ekTG2LbJY1zWPtQYwpCTLvAlM_nhLzeb0_AUMLUFIS_XBn4OOHAvioIH95wfn07STjDAFcf7cLdyWsSM4t7CuAasynt3FNlk5F-qV8E8NWP7BHdNvRF4O9uFWRH2AcvhzgvkR0HeKwTKblC6E3rq9tMubg5NO-NPKqUET50czqYEhhfu79W_7lYXkhPvHabvHbXU2y2HeJBp3j1GAFob9WFNVLxHHc=w1742-h1162-no

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi seem to know what you are doing,only thing i would comment on is flame harem over yellow ,less risk of nipping on corals ,have fun,need any help the reef is here

OP
OP
Osric

Osric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi seem to know what you are doing,only thing i would comment on is flame harem over yellow ,less risk of nipping on corals ,have fun,need any help the reef is here

Thanks, interesting info on flame angels — I have had one before and he was great/not a nipper. I think I will chance it again.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal and copperband need to go in early and may nip at your corals, especially the fleshy ones like Lobo, cynaria etc.

Angel harems are possible, do some research first. Flames may safer than the lemmon peel, but they will still likely nip at those meaty corals you have.

Bicolor blenny is a notorious nipper.

Rainford can be tough to feed.

Chromis, watch for uronema and they can get aggressive sometimes.

OP
OP
Osric

Osric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicolor blenny is a notorious nipper.

Rainford can be tough to feed.

Oh! I didn’t know about blenny nipping. I’ll have to research that.

In the past I’ve found Rainford do well off of pods in the tank. Both the rainford and the potential mandarins would need a very lively pod population first. However last time I had a Rainford it was the only fish in a nano tank for one of my kids; I wonder if here it’ll struggle vs the shrimp and mandarins?

All the others have question marks by them because of the risks associated. I wonder if I should rethink some of those ideas...

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tank is in the same ball park (320 DT) in term of size with your tank but less LPS, more SPS, Anemones and clams. I only have 1 fleshy LPS. Dragon Soul Favia. I have CBB , Regal angel pair, harem of Flame angels. I was worry that the Flavia would be history, but it is doing great.

Regarding CBB, you need luck to get a pair. I think it is more than just put a male and female together. I think the success rate is a whole lot less than 50%, but possible. I tried but only have singleton.
I would put the CBB in early, maybe the earliest of the larger fish. They are not bully, other than with other CBB but does not take been bully very well.

Regarding Regal angels. These are my dream fish and I tolerate some coral nipping from my pair. They are very beautiful and slow growing angels and will do just fine. I am not sure how your fleshy LPS. Maybe they will leave them alone, maybe not. I feed my fish 8 times a day. Two automated feeder feeding 4 times each, small amount. My tank is doing great with this regiment, but phosphate is a little high around .25ppm.

Only other problem is the interaction between the Mandarin and the angels. If you have 5 angels in your tank, it will be hard for your Mandarin to get well fed. If this is the case, large refugium is a must and pay attention to the pod level in your tank. I feed my tank a lot so my angels are very full all the time and they are lazy in their hunting. I guess it is much easier to just pick food out of the water column rather than hunting for them. My Mandarin pairs are fat and spawned all the time. If you pay attention and make sure your angels are well fed, then the Mandarin should be OK. Good luck

BTW, you did not mention any tang. Every tank got to have a tang or two. Powder Blue Tang go in last. And a wrasse or two.
My CBB
CBB2016052301.jpg

Nuptial coloration, Male Flame Angel and other picture of his lady and they are doing their stuff
FlameAngel2019082510MaleNuptial.jpg

FlameAngel2019081103Alton.jpg

FlameAngel2019080502PairCourtship.jpg

Regal
RegalAngel2019051901.jpg

RegalAngel2019060301.jpg

Tang and Wrasse
PowderBlueTang2019062403.jpg

BlueThroatFairy2019040401.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding Mandarin, if you only keep one than make sure you get a male Mandarin. They are much more active and display all the time. Much more beautiful. Female Mandarin is good as one of the pair but not great as a singleton. A very beautiful fish still but less beautiful than a male Mandarin for sure.
male Mandarin and a flasher wrasse
BF0D5263-B8CC-4A03-8410-D8BAE3A051A6.jpeg
D2E7FA49-6D3F-4052-923F-0BBD2B76D6E5.jpeg
4E5D7E6C-5980-4732-A587-1CEDD6AB08FF.jpeg
27151C0D-3161-4478-BF42-944A68E9A5F9.jpeg

OP
OP
Osric

Osric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish in your display! I am not used to having so much space and I would like a tang ...part of the point of a 72” long tank is to know the tang police won’t come when I eventually succumb.

For fuge I am planning to run a basement 60G sump plumbed to two 55 gallon or larger refugium tanks, and I haven’t planned the stock list for downstairs yet (which is where these tanks will be). I originally wanted to have 3 56G tanks there but I won’t have space, but still I’ll have at least 170G in the sump/refugium area and enough space to grow lots of macro and pods. I am debating whether or not I can have seahorses in one of the fuge tanks but this is still very speculative.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 62 34.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back