Feeding Fish and NOT the algae?

When you feed your fish do you feel like your feeding the algae as well?

• Yes I feel I'm feeding too much

Votes: 166 31.7%
  • Yes but not much

Votes: 203 38.7%
  • No

Votes: 142 27.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 2.5%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Obviously you can't NOT feed algae when you feed your fish but you can sure work to minimize it! Learning the best feeding practices, feeding amounts and feeding the best foods can all play an important role in keeping healthy fish and a healthy reef tank! So let's talk about that today and share our experiences!

1. What are some feeding methods that you use that help feed the fish and not the algae?

2. How do you personally judge what the proper amount of food is for your fish?

3. What do you consider a "good" fish food that won't contribute greatly to algae growth?

@Nash feeding his tang
24f14428f78b5c9d3e6feaea48c5fe65.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do feed heavy I also export heavy.

Feeding: 6-7x a day (I work from home for one job so it makes it easier). Morning; nori, late morning Custom frozen Mix, early afternoon masstick, late afternoon custom frozen, early evening pellets with Selcon, late evening custom frozen and night, some days, reef chili and rodifers.

Export: Mesh filter sock, protein skimmer and an Icecap ATS as well as biobricks and a UV sterilizer (technically not export)

Personally I this the ATS does the major the work followed closely by the skimmer and sock.

I rarely see algae in my display with the exception of on the glass that I scrape off 2x a week unless we have company coming, then an extra time.

algae is where is belongs, in the ATS.

1. What are some feeding methods that you use that help feed the fish and not the algae?

I feed more time a day so food gets eaten and does not go to wast

If the food is eaten and does not fill the sock when the return come back on line I know I hit the target amount I wanted to feed. I also feed on schedule and not when the fish look hungry.

3. What do you consider a "good" fish food that won't contribute greatly to algae growth?

I am not sure I know. I tend towards the better known brands and read all about any food before I use it. Masstick for example, I read and read and read as well as watched video reviews before I used it. Then when I did use it I tested it once and waited a few days doing water tests each time I feed with it. The fish love it, the water does not cloud and the home test kits did not drastically change when I started using it.

Consistent observation is key in this hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:

tinhorse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feed several times a day (4-5) in smaller amounts. This ensures that all the food(well nearly 100%) is eaten by the fish and doesnt sink behind rocks to rot away)

Ensure the fish have proper shape and dont have sunken or bloated bellies. This may take a month or so after changing your feeding schedule to see what results the amounts you are feed has.

fresh prawns cut up and washed in my ro/di water is one of my fishes favorites. Not sure if it is better than frozen brine shrimp or mysis but I dont have algae issues....

CPReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, once a tank is mature enough with enough herbivores, I tend to not even think of algae
What herbivores do you recommend, I have a yellow tang, hippo tank, 2 clownfish and a midas blend and a harlequin and some other normal inverts.... Thank you

wolfthefallen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup guilty of over feeding.. Not so much on the fish, but my coral. I try to make sure each head gets something.. Needless to say I always over judge.. But hey all my corals are fat and happy.

Because I know I do this I focus to make sure I have a good export and filtration setup.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed pretty heavy for both fish and corals, export pretty heavy and let lots of herbivores sort out the rest. I do have a few small patches of algae in crevices that snails, hermit crabs and urchins can’t reach effectively, so I just give them a quick scrub with a toothbrush when I do a water change to keep that in check.

I like to make sure my fish have a nice plump body shape but not bloated looking.

I feed LRS Herbivore frenzy mostly but I do mix in some PE mysis from time to time.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not understand the question at all. Whatever you feed - around 20 - 30 % of the nutrients in the food will be converted into fish biomass - the rest goes out either as inorganic N (NH3/NH4 mostly through the gills) and inorganic PO4 + organic PO4 through the feces. You always feed algae and the corals zooxanthellae - you always have rely on a good clean up crew whatever your feeding amount is - feeding more - more CUC of different sorts. The CUC should consist of both algae eaters, scavengers and detritus feeders. Even filtrating animals like clams is important

Sincerely Lasse

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I feed a premeasured amount (same amount daily) and feed in various areas to assure any suspended goes to sump ( I have fish in sump to consume that )

I factor number of fish ahnd type of food being fed to avoid excess and waste

All dry foods as well as those that do not break up such as plankton and mysis shrimp.
Many cubes and flat packs such as LRS foods leave a lot of particles suspended in tank

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned tactics around flow and feed modes to make sure all the food gets eaten. I don't personally use them, but a lot of people do.

I just feed on the same schedule, same amounts. That way if algae starts to occur I have a constant to troubleshoot against. For example I can dial my skimmer wetter, add CUC, or turn the fuge light on longer each night to compensate. If you feed randomly, it's a lot harder to balance your nutrient export.

JR Bodyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feed a premeasured amount (same amount daily) and feed in various areas to assure any suspended goes to sump ( I have fish in sump to consume that )

I factor number of fish ahnd type of food being fed to avoid excess and waste

All dry foods as well as those that do not break up such as plankton and mysis shrimp.
Many cubes and flat packs such as LRS foods leave a lot of particles suspended in tank
What kind of fish do you keep in your sump?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What kind of fish do you keep in your sump?
Orchid dottyback (who slipped through my overflow and impossible to catch in sump), blue damsel and Kleini butterfly (my aptasia security guard. . LOL )

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What herbivores do you recommend, I have a yellow tang, hippo tank, 2 clownfish and a midas blend and a harlequin and some other normal inverts.... Thank you
If your tank has the space for a hippo tang, it’s got the space for a big fat foxface and some pincushion urchins too

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to ensure my coral, fish, and clean up crew eat, I'm willing to deal with a little nuisance algae. Tried doing ultra low NO3 and PO4 and corals really struggled.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feel that I underfeed, but it seems my nutrients are super low right now. Seems to happen about once a year in the summer. Colors aren't as vibrant. I'll stir the sand a bit, feed a bit more, and I took GFO (small amount) off.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clowns, two gobies, a pistol shrimp, two peppermint shrimps, three blue leg hermits, and a collection of snails. I feed twice a day and give special treats about once a week.

Mornings I'm usually in a rush so it's a tiny measuring spoon of pellets (Sustainable Aquatics Hatchery Diet) dumped into a feeding ring. The feeding ring means I don't have to turn anything off, the pellets have a chance to sink before getting sucked into the filter. Simple and all of the fish love them.

Just before the lights start to ramp down in the evening I usually feed half a cube of frozen (brine shrimp or mysis shrimp or Rods). I turn off all the flow and target feed everyone, including all the shrimps and crabs. I find I have to chop up the Rods for my guys because some of the pieces are just too big for them. They all seem to like the brine shrimp best but I think getting some variety is good for them.

Once a week or so I put a partial sheet of nori out for my conch and Mexican Turbo. They both have insane appetites' and I want to make sure they are getting what they need. The hermits get pieces of Hikari Algae Wafers that they just go nuts over! The nassarius snails are surprisingly crazy about those too.

Do I have algae issues? YES! I clean the glass daily. The stuff grows over night. My trochus snails are fat! My tank is 46 gallons and sumpless so I do what I can with all in tank equipment. My new tank is almost ready for everyone though. We'll see how long my feeding habits take to turn that into an algae monster!

Back