Feeding Fish and NOT the algae?

When you feed your fish do you feel like your feeding the algae as well?

• Yes I feel I'm feeding too much

Votes: 166 31.7%
  • Yes but not much

Votes: 203 38.7%
  • No

Votes: 142 27.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 2.5%

• Total voters

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously you can't NOT feed algae when you feed your fish but you can sure work to minimize it! Learning the best feeding practices, feeding amounts and feeding the best foods can all play an important role in keeping healthy fish and a healthy reef tank! So let's talk about that today and share our experiences!

1. What are some feeding methods that you use that help feed the fish and not the algae?

2. How do you personally judge what the proper amount of food is for your fish?

3. What do you consider a "good" fish food that won't contribute greatly to algae growth?

@Nash feeding his tang
24f14428f78b5c9d3e6feaea48c5fe65.jpg
I have a 50 gallon REDSEA XL200. Two 4 year old blind Clownfish and a Damsel. 12 Turbo Snails and 2 Little Crabs with Red Legs. I have anemones, lots of Zoas, shrooms and lots of other soft and hard corals. My issue is not so much Algae, it has always been Nitrates. I feed the CFs 1/4 cube Mysis Shrimp (just the shrimp, no liquid) with a little fork every other day. They come to the surface to eat. The Damsel and corals get pellets discretely placed also every other day. I have a hefty Protein Skimmer that seems to be doing its job filling its cup.
I filter Phosphates with High Capacity GFO (Granular Ferric Oxide) and there is no issue. Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates are filtered with a 4 1/2” Biofilter Media in my sump and of course, water changes. I test religiously and do consistent scheduled larger water changes (30% - 40%). My tank is clean and very well maintained and I don’t think I am overfeeding so, I don’t understand why I am constantly fighting to keep the Nitrates under 5.0 ppm sometimes higher. I thought about trying The REDSEA Algae Management System (Nitrate & Phosphate Control via Chemicals) but am hesitant to do so. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated. If this is not the correct place to ask this question, I can move it to where it should be...I’m still new to R2R. Thx in advance! JL
9FDA4E14-43D3-4045-8B8B-285052954A8E.jpeg
8AEBC687-9CBB-4EDF-B462-5BC72685697D.jpeg
image.jpg
B27D8926-6B2A-4CA5-8895-193E7654223D.jpeg

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve discovered that feeding pellets fuels algae more than feeding something like mysis shrimp. The pellets dissolve much faster and pollute the water much quicker and therefore aid in algae growth. Mysis does not dissolve. I usually feed whatever my fish will eat in a minute’s time then feed a little extra for my cuc to eat. Bu the time I wake up the next morning, All the mysis have dissappeared whoch could be both the fish and clean up crew. I have monitored the cuc and have seen them eat the leftover mysis that fell on the sandbed. Pellets dissolve a little bit too quick for them to clean it all up. My nassarius snails come right out and grab the leftover mysis like ive never seen before! I also feed right before my lights turn off since the nassarius snails come out during that time which means less time the mysis will have to pollute my tank!

taylorn13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also take out the sponges in my filter and wring them out in a little tub of my aquarium water about every 3 days. Ever since I watched the BRS video on this, my nitrates have been down!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the "Other" category. I agree with those who mention relying on a CuC. I'm going to get away from the original question just a touch, but feel it is on topic.

Having high or low nutrients in your system does not mean you are over or under feeding your fish. It is an indication of what the difference between your nutrient addition and nutrient export. You can have a high nutrient system by feeding a little and exporting nothing. You can have a low nutrient system by feeding heavy and exporting heavy. Feed your fish what it looks like they need to be healthy. Don't take algae into consideration, a little extra rotting food isn't going to matter.

As for algae, we want our system to be able to grow it. The requirements for growing algae are not much different than what coral needs to grow. In the ocean, a coral reef would quickly be overgrown with algae if you removed the clean up crew from it. The only time algae should be a problem is if we can't find a CuC member that will consume it. We can also try to force algae growth into certain locations, which is primarily what a chaeto fuge or reactor does. But.. if you are limiting nutrients to limit coral you are likely limiting coral growth, also.

RUKelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously you can't NOT feed algae when you feed your fish but you can sure work to minimize it! Learning the best feeding practices, feeding amounts and feeding the best foods can all play an important role in keeping healthy fish and a healthy reef tank! So let's talk about that today and share our experiences!

1. What are some feeding methods that you use that help feed the fish and not the algae?

3. What do you consider a "good" fish food that won't contribute greatly to algae growth?

@Nash feeding his tang

@Nash feeding his tang
I probaly overfeed, I use frozen cubes of different types and thaw in a small condiment cup in treated water, mix them up with a toothpick, then feed the tank. The algae I have, the tang & rabbitfish enjoy. Unfortunately, my filefish prefers the cubes now instead of the aptasia that are now creeping back into my tank. I used to feed flake food (Which the filefish would not eat) but was told that contains alot of ash so its just thawed cubes now. Once a day.

CPReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank has the space for a hippo tang, it’s got the space for a big fat foxface and some pincushion urchins too
...it's a Red Sea 425xl. Thanks for the info!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was doing good. Found out today that my turkey baster was broken. Got a new one and started cleaning the rocks. It was amazingly dirty. Old food and everything else came flying out. I have a long day tomorrow cleaning the tank and scrubbing the rocks.

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 times a day via Auto feeder.

Smart socket shuts off return 2 minutes before feed and on 8 minutes after feed.

The feeder dumps into a TLF feeding ring which sits kinda above a gyre

The gyre also switches into a different pattern when the feeder dumps. This causes the food to be dispersed out of the feeder as to spread some of the food to the other side of the tank where the smaller and less agressive fish get food. 3 minutes after the feeder dumps the other gyre on the opposite end comes on to make sure all floating food is forced to sink.

I use about 5 different types of pellets.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve discovered that feeding pellets fuels algae more than feeding something like mysis shrimp. The pellets dissolve much faster and pollute the water much quicker and therefore aid in algae growth.
Its not only a question of fast or slow dissolving - 1 g of dry food contain more than 5 times more nutrients compared with 1 g natural food (frozen or fresh). There is food that are rich in nitrogen like different forms of algae based food. Beware that "high protein" foods also contain more nitrogen.

Sincerely Lasse

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Lasse mentioned, we always feed algae every single time we put food in our tanks. I have 5 tangs (Sailfin, Powder Blue, Achilles, Yellow, Hippo all good sized), some anthias, starcki damsel and some other fish in a 240g and only feed a half sheet of seaweed and 1 drum roll of small pellets (not even a bunch of pellets either) and all fish are fat. Also do not deal with algae much either.

Fish will eat as long as you feed. They'll just poop out all the nutrients back into your tank once they have what they need. Ever see you fish know they are getting feed and they poop out everything?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish will eat as long as you feed. They'll just poop out all the nutrients back into your tank once they have what they need. Ever see you fish know they are getting feed and they poop out everything?
I’ve never seen this mentioned...all of my fish pass bits of undigested food. Yet every time I go by the tank they are all scaling the corner and biting the glass at me like they haven’t eaten in days....you’re saying they are playing me?!

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen this mentioned...all of my fish pass bits of undigested food. Yet every time I go by the tank they are all scaling the corner and biting the glass at me like they haven’t eaten in days....you’re saying they are playing me?!

Yeah :D. That means your fish recognize you. Let someone walk by the tank they do not know or like, they will hide. Happens all the times when kids they do not know stand in from of my tank.I go to the tank and they all come out.

Just took this and they would eat again it I fed them

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed heavy but have a sock...fuge...skimmer...

Heavy in heavy out.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah :D. That means your fish recognize you. Let someone walk by the tank they do not know or like, they will hide. Happens all the times when kids they do not know stand in from of my tank.I go to the tank and they all come out.

Just took this and they would eat again it I fed them

Thanks for enlightening me! They do hide when my husband comes close. I think they can even hear the basement door creaking because they are all at attention as soon as I can see them. I don’t turn the basement lights on and even walk super quiet. They still know I’m coming. Amazing little creatures.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for enlightening me! They do hide when my husband comes close. I think they can even hear the basement door creaking because they are all at attention as soon as I can see them. I don’t turn the basement lights on and even walk super quiet. They still know I’m coming. Amazing little creatures.

My Sailfin even looks through the glass at me while I work I swear to god lol.

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchid dottyback (who slipped through my overflow and impossible to catch in sump), blue damsel and Kleini butterfly (my aptasia security guard. . LOL )

Do you have sticks ?? does your klein nip at them at all ?? i have a SPS dominant tank and i have ZERO poylp extension because of my Kleins ??

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve discovered that feeding pellets fuels algae more than feeding something like mysis shrimp. The pellets dissolve much faster and pollute the water much quicker and therefore aid in algae growth. Mysis does not dissolve. I usually feed whatever my fish will eat in a minute’s time then feed a little extra for my cuc to eat. Bu the time I wake up the next morning, All the mysis have dissappeared whoch could be both the fish and clean up crew. I have monitored the cuc and have seen them eat the leftover mysis that fell on the sandbed. Pellets dissolve a little bit too quick for them to clean it all up. My nassarius snails come right out and grab the leftover mysis like ive never seen before! I also feed right before my lights turn off since the nassarius snails come out during that time which means less time the mysis will have to pollute my tank!
I completely agree with you about the pellets, they are incredibly heavy polluters and algae /nitrate producers. The brand I use is Hikari Marine - S.
The damsel used to eat Mysis, but really prefers the pellets. I soak the pellets so they sink slowly so she can get to them. She doesn’t eat off of the bottom, but the clownfish do. I don’t have sand and I try to vacuum up rock and other debris when I do water changes. I feed later in the cycle.
I could go back to trying to get the Damsel to eat the Mysis and look up what else she might eat to stop the pellets. Thanks for the info and insight. JL

HaveFishWillTravel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sailfin even looks through the glass at me while I work I swear to god lol.
Fishes and others of the sea are truly amazing creatures. I believe they know exactly what’s going on in the house. My big freshwater tank is positioned in a large hallway so my Gourami can see out the front door to the great outdoors, down the hallway toward the back of the house, into the main living area, across the island into the kitchen and into the office. He stares at me and I feel like he watches my every move. Sometimes, I feel guilty because he has lived his entire life in captivity. I feel like
I should get him something to entertain himself, like a nice Pool Table...ha ha!
Or, a diving board.
In all seriousness anyone that says these little creatures don’t know what’s going on, clearly is not in tune with Mother Nature.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Back