Feeding fish non native food

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

I'm looking for a little guidance on feeding my Hi Fin goby. The previous owner was feeding the goby and pistol shrimp frozen mysis and pellets. I already had this food for my freshwater tanks so it was easy to continue this except I found the mysis kept floating to the surface. This doesn't happen in my freshwater tank so maybe this is due to saltwater buoyancy? The shrimp would snatch the pellets so I'm not concerned about him but
I am concerned the goby isn't getting anything because of the floating mysis so I started to add frozen bloodworms (which don't float) just in case. The good news is that he loves these but I'm concerned he might not be getting the proper nutrition. Are bloodworms fine or should I soak them in something to beef up the nutrition?

Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

I'm looking for a little guidance on feeding my Hi Fin goby. The previous owner was feeding the goby and pistol shrimp frozen mysis and pellets. I already had this food for my freshwater tanks so it was easy to continue this except I found the mysis kept floating to the surface. This doesn't happen in my freshwater tank so maybe this is due to saltwater buoyancy? The shrimp would snatch the pellets so I'm not concerned about him but
I am concerned the goby isn't getting anything because of the floating mysis so I started to add frozen bloodworms (which don't float) just in case. The good news is that he loves these but I'm concerned he might not be getting the proper nutrition. Are bloodworms fine or should I soak them in something to beef up the nutrition?

Thanks!

Weird thing about bloodworms - they can cause allergic reactions in many people, so handle carefully!

The mysis floating is odd - did you try squeezing them to expel any trapped air? Is the mysis by chance freezer burned?

Soaking food in supplements - everyone does this, but does it work? Probably not. Anything that can soak into the food quickly is going to rinse off just as quickly when added to the tank. I mix supplements into gel diet, where it is bound in place. We know that works.

Jay

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird thing about bloodworms - they can cause allergic reactions in many people, so handle carefully!

The mysis floating is odd - did you try squeezing them to expel any trapped air? Is the mysis by chance freezer burned?

Soaking food in supplements - everyone does this, but does it work? Probably not. Anything that can soak into the food quickly is going to rinse off just as quickly when added to the tank. I mix supplements into gel diet, where it is bound in place. We know that works.

Jay
Thanks for this Jay! I too thought freezer burn but it doesn't seem to float in my freshwater tank. I will try squeezing it out (that's a great suggestion) and if that doesn't work I will buy a fresh pack just in case. As for allergies... I heard about that. Ironically the guy who owns the LFS I get my freshwater stuff from can't even have them in the store his allergy is so extreme. I didn't even know people could be allergic to worms. So far so good for me (hope I didn't just jinx myself). Haha. So are bloodworms OK or should I be feeding mysis?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

Thanks!

Jay
Thanks for this Jay! I too thought freezer burn but it doesn't seem to float in my freshwater tank. I will try squeezing it out (that's a great suggestion) and if that doesn't work I will buy a fresh pack just in case. As for allergies... I heard about that. Ironically the guy who owns the LFS I get my freshwater stuff from can't even have them in the store his allergy is so extreme. I didn't even know people could be allergic to worms. So far so good for me (hope I didn't just jinx myself). Haha. So are bloodworms OK or should I be feeding mysis?
Bloodworms are fine to feed to marine fish, but a varied diet is always important; pellets, frozen gel food, etc.
Jay

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

Bloodworms are fine to feed to marine fish, but a varied diet is always important; pellets, frozen gel food, etc.
Jay
Thanks Jay!!!! I have never heard of frozen gel so will definitely look into that right away. I totally agree about a varied diet being optimal. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back