Feeding frequency - how often do you feed fish?

How often do you feed fish?

• Total voters

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a bit of a conundrum - I started my nano tank roughly 7-8 months ago. Thus far no algae issues, and I had been feeding my 4 small fish (citron goby, neon goby, barnacle blenny, pinkbar goby with pistol shrimp sidekick) once every other day.

Lately my citron has been looking a bit skinny - which has spurred me to start feeding daily about half what I was feeding every other day before.

Anybody have experience with this? My fear is my fish probably are too small to do every other day feedings and still remain healthy, but I also don’t want algae getting out of control.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a bit of a conundrum - I started my nano tank roughly 7-8 months ago. Thus far no algae issues, and I had been feeding my 4 small fish (citron goby, neon goby, barnacle blenny, pinkbar goby with pistol shrimp sidekick) once every other day.

Lately my citron has been looking a bit skinny - which has spurred me to start feeding daily about half what I was feeding every other day before.

Anybody have experience with this? My fear is my fish probably are too small to do every other day feedings and still remain healthy, but I also don’t want algae getting out of control.
Also just for param’s- nitrates hover around 10ppm today and barely detectable phosphates. I do biweekly water changes and ATI test has only come back with Iodine too low in the last few tests.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I keep a very active tank with anthias and tangs, etc.. I feed 3-4 times daily in small amounts, 2 done by an autofeeder. Variety is key :) Best of luck

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
personally, i feed every M, W, F. in between feedings is where i dose other foods like phyto, AB+, reef roids/reef chilli/benepets (i rotate through these except phyto to control nutrient spikes). when i feed, i feed LRS reef frenzy at about thumbnail sized piece. i have a 40B with 5 fish currently, and a bunch of inverts so this is what works for me to keep nutrients at a tolerable level.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed at least 3X per day with an auto-feeder. Probably 99% of the time I feed at least 5 times per day. You should fault at over feeding versus under feeding. If you have nutrient problems add nutrient export versus starving your pets.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed once per day. Pair of clowns and a sixline wrasse. Pellets most days, couple times a week frozen food. The clowns spawn monthly.

I did every other day for nutrient management. I noticed the clowns stopped spawning, but still maintained a good body shape.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 times a day at a minimum- mix between LRS, Reef nutrition pellets, homemade mix, and a sheet of nori every day. Fish poop is the best coral food, I will use benepets if phosphates creep up a bit past target to reduce them a touch.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have wondered this ........ People that say they feed 3-4 times a day ?

1) why so much ?
2) who has the time for that ? do you not work? haha

I feed every 1-2 days once and on weekend maybe 2 feedings . Fish are all healthy and happy :)

Why not feed as much as possible?

I feed in the morning and evening and my wife has had a work from home job for the last 8 years so she handles lunch

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 1 full sheet of 2 Little Fishes Nori in the morning, and, 4-5 cubes of frozen when I get home in the afternoon. If I am not able to get home in time, I usually feed Hikari Extreme a couple times thru my controller.

I will not starve my fish to keep my N03 and P04 down. I just need to find other ways to keep it down. ;) :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the equivalent of about a half a pack of LRS (i make my own food), 2-4 sheets of nori, phyto dosed every hour, pellets on auto feeders, and rotifiers on dosers.

This is between about 750 gallons of tanks, but 500 or so of those gallons are a shared system. I also dose ammonia to all of my tanks and use a massive amount of export methods. 2x skimmers, AWC, fuges, dedicated Macro/Mangrove lagoon.

I agree with @Billldg and @Hydrored in feeding as much as possible, as long as it gets consumed. I also have a ton of NPS items, so have to have ti available for them, but I have to export heavy, so it does not accumulate. Kinda my compromise, I guess lol.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not feed as much as possible?

I feed in the morning and evening and my wife has had a work from home job for the last 8 years so she handles lunch
Yeah for sure if it works for your reef that is awesome !

My schedule does not allow it tank is dark when I leave in the morning . 2 hours of light when I get home so they get 1 feeding in afternoon and have all been healthy and happy . Wrasse included which everyone say need feedings of 3-4 times a day . Might be a food company conspiracy lol

I think if I fed my tank 3-4 times a day I would have a tank of algea with fish in it somewhere LOL even with 1 single feeding I am battling GHA for the second time and diatoms . I run lucky I know haha

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I feed my fish once a day, but in the past always multiple times a day.
What made you switch from multiple times per day
I feed 1 full sheet of 2 Little Fishes Nori in the morning, and, 4-5 cubes of frozen when I get home in the afternoon. If I am not able to get home in time, I usually feed Hikari Extreme a couple times thru my controller.

I will not starve my fish to keep my N03 and P04 down. I just need to find other ways to keep it down. ;) :)
thats a good philosophy - I watched a ton of youtube videos and I believe it was ReefBuilders who were saying they feed “almost an abusive” little amount of food - so I got it into my head to do it that way which was a mistake. He also had clownfish so maybe less of an issue with clowns than gobies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back