Feeding frequency - how often do you feed fish?

How often do you feed fish?

• Total voters

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep food in the water column by feeding three times a day using the @AVAST Marine Plank feeder. Each feeding is 20 seconds.

Of course, this means that I have minor issues with algae even with a booming refugium. I’m still tuning.

TheBiochemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 dry feedings daily via Neptune ATK (10a-1p-4p-7p) and one (3-4oz) feeding of mixed Frozen in the evening.
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but do you like the Neptune ATK? I constructed my own automated feeder unit but I have a problem with moisture. After few days, the food gets wet, clumps and the unit is not able to release it to the tank. :(

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but do you like the Neptune ATK? I constructed my own automated feeder unit but I have a problem with moisture. After few days, the food gets wet, clumps and the unit is not able to release it to the tank. :(
Love it
I’ve had it 3 years and trouble free

Salted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted “other” because although I feed frozen only once a day there are nori clips on each end of the tank 24/7.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in a bit of a conundrum - I started my nano tank roughly 7-8 months ago. Thus far no algae issues, and I had been feeding my 4 small fish (citron goby, neon goby, barnacle blenny, pinkbar goby with pistol shrimp sidekick) once every other day.

Lately my citron has been looking a bit skinny - which has spurred me to start feeding daily about half what I was feeding every other day before.

Anybody have experience with this? My fear is my fish probably are too small to do every other day feedings and still remain healthy, but I also don’t want algae getting out of control.
I have a 14g and feed many times a day, use frozen and it will be drawn into the filter floss/sock.

You don’t say how much you feed but if as you say your fish look skinny you really need to up it.

If feeding the fish the correct amount it’s a nutrient removal issue, not an over feeding problem, TBF your fish shouldn’t have to pay for that.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have wondered this ........ People that say they feed 3-4 times a day ?

1) why so much ?
2) who has the time for that ? do you not work? haha

I feed every 1-2 days once and on weekend maybe 2 feedings . Fish are all healthy and happy :)
Daily frozen feeder!

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using? You may be getting false readings.
Take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use API kits and see what numbers they come up with and to compare with yours
Oddly enough - still testing 0 phosphates with 25ppm nitrates. Started feeding corals once a week and was doing twice daily feedings, going to taper it back to once a day, but how do I still not have phosphates with 25ppm nitrates?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oddly enough - still testing 0 phosphates with 25ppm nitrates. Started feeding corals once a week and was doing twice daily feedings, going to taper it back to once a day, but how do I still not have phosphates with 25ppm nitrates?
What test do you use for PO4?
I doubt very much it’s zero if your nitrate is 25.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test do you use for PO4?
I doubt very much it’s zero if your nitrate is 25.
I used a Hanna Checker today, but have also gotten several 0’s on ATI ICPs last being in January - Im getting ready to send in another ICP here in a week or so. Is there a chance polyfilter could completely strip phosphates? Thats the only thing I can think of.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Hanna Checker today, but have also gotten several 0’s on ATI ICPs last being in January - Im getting ready to send in another ICP here in a week or so. Is there a chance polyfilter could completely strip phosphates? Thats the only thing I can think of.
I’ve never heard of it removing PO4.

Something seems off, coral food tends to be high in PO4 , so to be feeding that and still getting zero readings seems strange.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of it removing PO4.

Something seems off, coral food tends to be high in PO4 , so to be feeding that and still getting zero readings seems strange.
Yep I agree - I guess I can stop doing polyfilter to see if something changes - everything seems happy though so Im kind of scared to change something for the sake of testing haha

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Phosphate may be false reading
Get a second test at a trusted LFS and see what readings they get

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get moisture issues also, especially when that stupid clamp design fails and the whole thing falls in. the tank

I feed 2x day, anthias or otherwise regardless

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate may be false reading
Get a second test at a trusted LFS and see what readings they get
That’s a good call - I’ll bring a sample in next time Im getting water. Highly recommend Vivid Aquariums for anybody looking for a reliable shop. They’ve the reason my tank is still going haha

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 3 times a day with a blend of pellets and also frozen mysis and nori daily.

The pellet blend is:
Nyos True Alage
Nyos Sweet Aloe
Nyos Wild GoJi
Piscine Energetics 2mm mysis pellets
Neptune Crossover diet

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back