Feeding Lettuce

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, lettuce is a good nutritional source of several minerals and vitamins.

I'm always looking into ways to get fresh vitamins into my fish. Vitamin C and E are especially difficult and I keep my eyes open for stable sources of thiamine. But seriously what are we afraid of here? It's almost like we are more tolerant of dipping our coral in insecticide, dosing our tanks with chemicals to get rid of a couple of flatworms and using mystery proprietary products to fight algae, but we're hesitant about attaching a piece of lettuce to a clip occasionally?

Preach!!

tgp4274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so..............
since a earth worm isn't present in natural waters.. does that mean every time I go fishing and the little bait stealers take my worm off the hook n get away with it... that means they may have problems later down the road?????
so all us fisherman are slowly killing them off when we're not catching them????
just a thought.... :D

and you really mean to tell me that live blood worms are in earths waters????? salt and fresh??????

Kyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just at Aulani resort where Disney has a massive tank/pool you can swim in that I would guess to be half a million gallons. There are thousands of fish in there and about 50 different types. Disney has reported the yellow tanks, convict tangs, squirrel fish, and others all spawning in the tank.

I saw Disney feed the fish lettuce. I would say if a company that has unlimited resources and has spent millions on a tank feeds it its a safe bet for you as well. Not to mention those are the fattest convict tangs and healthiest yellow tangs I have seen in my life including in the wild. If the fish are this healthy I would say you are safe and would am now even planning to feed it to my fish.

Again I'm not expert but if marine biologists do it and the real experts do it I feel safe to do it. I have seen it at other large public aquariums as well so not sure how someone in our saltwater aquarium world can argue against people who's careers and degrees are in the marine biology field.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one is saying to replace the kelp with lettuce. We're just saying mixing things up is cool and it's certainly not harmful. If I put up a nutritional breakdown of farmed salmon next to cod, it looks like the same thing as the lettuce/kelp comparison. Salmon is higher in basically everything over cod. That doesn't mean your fish should eat all Salmon, just because it seems to have "more". It's all about variety.

Kyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting comparison. Most of us however feed dried nori so I'm curious how many nutrients are lost in the drying process vs fresh romaine. Anyhow I will probably feed a mix and change it up from here on out.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Compare for example this salmon and this cod. Salmon basically has more of everything. Does that mean it's better to eat salmon over cod every day? No, that's just not the way nutrition works.

SALMON
salmon_full.jpg

COD
cod_full.jpg

Data per http://nutritiondata.self.com/

jenjen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting discussion. My local grocery store where I've always bought Nori has suddenly stopped selling it recently. My fish have been on a rotating diet of romaine, bok choy and spinach over the past few weeks. The tangs and rabbitfish will eat anything and seem to be doing just fine. The dwarf angels actually seem to have a preferance for bok choy over anything I've ever fed them. Pretty sure I'll keep some of this stuff in the rotation once I find somewhere new to get Nori. :)

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It not bad it just not as nutritionist hence the reason lettuce doesn't grow off rocks in the ocean. It best to try and feed the same types of enriched foods they live off of in the ocean.

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone said the tangs are fat and healthy so it can't be too bad?
Well I've seen some fat and healthy looking people if that what you consider healthy then they end up with health problem and die prematurely due to diet.
So my point is looks can be deceiving if a tang can live 20 years on average eating food A but looks fat and healthy eating food B but dies after 5-10 years which would you say better?
Not food B...
So my point here is there any studies at all here to prove one side wrong idk tbh and maybe we as hobbyist help marine biology with our own studies.
You think marine biology figure out everything on it own they've took a lot of what they use today from the hobbyist.

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of studies out there. It's not in the marine biology sector, but the aquaculture.
Has there been compared lifespans? I can't find anything concrete tbh lettuce doesn't have the same omega fatty acids as seaweed has and those are so beneficial to humans I'm sure it pretty good for fish considering it in some of their main food sources.
Lettuce no matter if it romaine or iceberg seem to be on the lesser end of nutrition.
And we haven't even mentioned the chemical that are in our foods lol.
Cabbage is better than lettuce even broccoli and cauliflower are better than romaine lettuce.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chemicals I'm not going to worry about when it's food I put into my own family's bodies. Wash your fruit and vegetables well before you share.

I'm not talking about replacing one thing for another. We are not saying use lettuce instead of kelp. We're talking about adding variety. Something like seaweed has many amazing things our marine critters need, so of course it's an excellent food, but that doesn't mean other food items don't have their supplemental value. It's important to hit all the key notes. Lettuce has triple the vitamin C, which is often deficient in our captive environments. It has more vitamin A, vitamin K, potassium and so on and so forth. They are completely different foods. If you are looking for extra fresh vitamins to supplement your fish diet, go ahead and ADD lettuce if it's something your fish will eat. I'm not just saying lettuce though, I'm saying add lots of things. Don't be afraid to try different stuff. Think about all the stuff our prepared foods loose with being frozen, or freeze dried or stored for a long time or not stored properly. Sometimes a nice piece of a fresh vegetable will have more to offer than something that is on the decline.

There's a lot of useful information that can be borrowed from the aquaculture community even though the final outcome is not the same, our goals are the same and that is to keep healthy fish. Their motives are different is all. The aquaculture studies have figured out what the broad nutritional needs are for groups of fish and the very specific requirements for particular fish of interest. Their studies are not specifically about longevity, but about meeting proper fish nutrition. Isn't that what we are doing as well? Trying to provide for optimal health? To not look to this billion dollar industry for information is missing a valuable source of research.

Rods food and LRS seem to like broccoli and Rod's in particular also uses carrots and spinach.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back