Feeding Melanurus Wrasse

dstockwell

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current fish, Ebili Angel and Royal Gramma are feed once a day during the week, and twice on weekends. I have seaweed for the Angel but I'm about to add this fish. Lights don't come until well after I'm gone, so will I need an auto feeder for the wrasse or ? I feed a mix of DIY frozen food, mussels, shrimp, squid, octopus, freeze dried brine, pellets, blue zoo mix, and selcon.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While they are good feeders, be sure to feed meaty foods at least 2 times daily
Some foods: LRS fish frenzy, spirulina Brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and small plankton

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed all my wrasses (and other fish) meaty foods 1 time a day, the time can range however I make sure to keep a heavy population of as much micro fauna as possibly (Algaes, Pods, Bacteria ect). This helps the wrasses feed through the day and not get out competed.
Try and feed later in the day - The wrasse will get adapted to the time you feed. Pellets are not a good diet to keep a wrasse (or even any fish) on as the only food they get due to the excluded nutrients.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a day is pretty low for a wrasse. I would get an auto feeder and up the pods count if you can. Wrasse aren’t picky eaters.

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current fish, Ebili Angel and Royal Gramma are feed once a day during the week, and twice on weekends. I have seaweed for the Angel but I'm about to add this fish. Lights don't come until well after I'm gone, so will I need an auto feeder for the wrasse or ? I feed a mix of DIY frozen food, mussels, shrimp, squid, octopus, freeze dried brine, pellets, blue zoo mix, and selcon.
My Melanurus loves the pellets for the Neptune auto feeder. The other will not eat them.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm lucky, I swear my melanurus is like a catfish. It eats EVERYTHING. From nori to pellets, flake, frozen, all of it. Also has pods to enjoy as well. Usually twice a day is good for them.
I find a healthy happy wrasse will eat anything and sample everything you through at them. The ones who wont adjust seem to have internal issues going on.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find a healthy happy wrasse will eat anything and sample everything you through at them. The ones who wont adjust seem to have internal issues going on.

Serious. The Lubbock's, Xmas and red coris I have are pigs for the most part. The pencil I recently lost was the same as well. Xmas is a bit picky as it leans towards frozen but will eat pellets. I regularly travel for work and they do fine on pellets exclusively up to about 10 days or so.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back