Feeding phyto/rotifer culture question

Clownfishmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience keeping a phyto/rotifer culture up in Canada? I'm looking for something to feed a phytoplankton culture but can't find anything.

I can't get rg complete or micro algae grow here in Canada and looking for an idea for an alternative.

Thanks

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the above with good results…Fritz makes a 2pt solution also that works
…I saw a few diy recipes for Guiliards f/2 somewhere…. not sure how useful however..

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For phyto, you just need the fertilizer, and basically every commercially made one is some derivative of the f/2 formula. I've actually heard of people using commercial fertilizers like MiracleGro, but I'm not sure that's advisable since you're eventually going to be dumping at least some of it into a reef tank. You may try a biological lab supply store that serves Canada, they would probably have some preparation of liquid fertilizer that would be suitable. Also, probably most places that will ship you a starter culture will at least sell their own brand of fertilizer.

Bph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mercer of Montana from Amazon is what I would recommend also stay away from miracle grow. F2 fertilizer only it is formulated for marine systems.

alan3402

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While i haven't used miracle grow, I did use FoxFarm Grow Big when i started and had good results. For the last 2 yrs I have been using to Mercer of Montana's formula. The yield is about the same, but there seems to be less precipitate formed and my cultures last longer before I need to get new seed phyto.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back