Feeding phyto/rotifer culture question

Clownfishmike

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 3, 2022
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience keeping a phyto/rotifer culture up in Canada? I'm looking for something to feed a phytoplankton culture but can't find anything.

I can't get rg complete or micro algae grow here in Canada and looking for an idea for an alternative.

Thanks
 
For phyto, you just need the fertilizer, and basically every commercially made one is some derivative of the f/2 formula. I've actually heard of people using commercial fertilizers like MiracleGro, but I'm not sure that's advisable since you're eventually going to be dumping at least some of it into a reef tank. You may try a biological lab supply store that serves Canada, they would probably have some preparation of liquid fertilizer that would be suitable. Also, probably most places that will ship you a starter culture will at least sell their own brand of fertilizer.
 
Mercer of Montana from Amazon is what I would recommend also stay away from miracle grow. F2 fertilizer only it is formulated for marine systems.
 
While i haven't used miracle grow, I did use FoxFarm Grow Big when i started and had good results. For the last 2 yrs I have been using to Mercer of Montana's formula. The yield is about the same, but there seems to be less precipitate formed and my cultures last longer before I need to get new seed phyto.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new