feeding predators: saving money

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to take anything from the lfs; I still spend plenty, a huge selection of hikari and ocean nutrition frozen foods. So we all want to support our lfs. But I have 6 lions, 6 triggers, 2 eels, an angler, 3 large angels, a big fat dog face puffer, and a large meat eating tang. So saving money on food is a necessity.

An asian market is the cornerstone of good predator food pantry. Here's some of my latest scores from the asian market. A 2 lb bag of smelt(sold as silversides at the lfs) cost $6, it's 18/lb at the lfs. A 1 lb pack of krill from the lfs is also around $18, the krill from the asian market has the texture and color of raw shrimp and cost $4/lb; they call it tiny shrimp. My puffer actually prefers the pink so I still have to buy it from the lfs. The silver fish is a favorite of my ribbon eel, my flagfin angel and orange shoulder tang also enjoys it immensely. Bags of scallop and shrimp goes without saying. My jeweled eel will literally come out of the tank when I feed him octopus.

Trader Joes has a nice frozen combo of shrimp, scallop, and squid.

012.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great way to control what is being feed. Make my own also.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back