Feeling sorry for Kessil after the latest BRS series

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran Kessil over my tank, it was easily one of the worst I’ve used and tested. Shimmer was far too intense (nothing like a good halide shimmer) and growth was non existent.

On the other half of the tank was a Radion. Growth on corals and coralline was noticeably better.

It is very easy to tell when SPS come from a Kessil tank IMO. Thin branches with lots of death towards the bottom and inner skeleton.

The best Kessil setups I’ve seen ran one 360 for every 12*12 section. The tiny puck style lights will ALWAYS cast hard shadows. This isn’t Kessil exclusive.
If halides weren't the heat and electricity monster that they are known to be I'd be running 2x 250w setups on my bigger tank now. That .40 cent a kwh tho, lol.

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This... Kessil is one of the higher regarded lights in the industry! They arent going anywhere!
I hope not. I noticed quite awhile back that the horticulture tab on their website disappeared. Now that there are so many manufactures out there and series like these that a lot of people take to heart it scares me a bit

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What video are you referring to?
The two new lighting YouTube’s. @VanDalsenReef posted them here as I couldn’t figure it out. Yesterdays is very long, today’s was much shorter and more direct in stating that, basically all point source lighting sucks but really emphasized kessil in my opinion

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always remember. Adam from battle corals runs reef breeders on a lot of his tanks. You don’t have to run Orpheks or Radions to get results. Of course BRS and most current industry members doing videos are pushing eco tech because they’re sponsoring everything. There’s at least 10 different people that every video they have it starts with “sponsored by Ecotech and Brightwell”

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always remember. Adam from battle corals runs reef breeders on a lot of his tanks. You don’t have to run Orpheks or Radions to get results. Of course BRS and most current industry members doing videos are pushing eco tech because they’re sponsoring everything. There’s at least 10 different people that every video they have it starts with “sponsored by Ecotech and Brightwell”
I mainly listen to the powered by polyp lab, brought to you by grandpa locked in the basement at saltwater aquarium dot com and champion lighting duo of a**hats but I do occasionally listen to those others as well!

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. I choose orphek (which is not very popular in the US, especially against ecotech) because I like that I can upgrade parts instead of entire fixtures and even replace parts without having to send it in for some stupid reason.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly listen to the powered by polyp lab, brought to you by grandpa locked in the basement at saltwater aquarium dot com and champion lifting duo of a**hats but I do occasionally listen to those others as well!
Best podcast for reefers

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly listen to the powered by polyp lab, brought to you by grandpa locked in the basement at saltwater aquarium dot com and champion lifting duo of a**hats but I do occasionally listen to those others as well!
They who shall not be named because of the lord our savior

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate that the hobby has turned corporate. It’s so lame really. Just like all the dumb names for the coral that these weirdos use to inflate the prices.

I came from the dart frog hobby. I had a large collection in my hiatus from aquariums. Hurricane Laura wiped them out though.

I loved it because they’re super protective over their hobby and have done a great job at keeping people like the “coral namers” from infecting their hobby. Anyone that tried to give those designer names to frogs was shunned from the community. It was funny

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate that the hobby has turned corporate. It’s so lame really. Just like all the dumb names for the coral that these weirdos use to inflate the prices.

I came from the dart frog hobby. I had a large collection in my hiatus from aquariums. Hurricane Laura wiped them out though.

I loved it because they’re super protective over their hobby and have done a great job at keeping people like the “coral namers” from infecting their hobby. Anyone that tried to give those designer names to frogs was shunned from the community. It was funny
I’m with ya and not at the same time. I don’t like how the names are used to adjust pricing through the roof. I do like the names for the fun aspect. Like adams site, I love the time and effort he put into the names and short stories and the fact that you can choose the non glitter site if you’re not into it.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with ya and not at the same time. I don’t like how the names are used to adjust pricing through the roof. I do like the names for the fun aspect. Like adams site, I love the time and effort he put into the names and short stories and the fact that you can choose the non glitter site if you’re not into it.
It's not right though. It's a fine line.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back