Feeling sorry for Kessil after the latest BRS series

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For PAR readings... I highly doubt that there is any meaningful difference between salt and RO water at a depth of less than 2 or 3 feet. There is more error in the precise placement of the of measurement head or the lamps position on the test fixture relative to the tank, etc.
yeah I'm sure but it's one more thing to add to the puzzle.

jtroxel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"To a hammer, everything looks like a nail:" If you like growing sticks, then Kessil may not be the best first choice. If you have a mixed reef tank, they look really darn good because of the intensity drop-off from center to edge, and at each 6" declination. I have to keep my Kessils turned down to ~50% to avoid over lighting my mid and bottom areas of the tank. I run three AP700s in a horizontal orientation on my 300 gallon, spaced 24" on-center.
Someday I'll need to replace these lights and I'll look at the needs of my tank and the type of corals I'm growing to make a decision. In that respect, the information provided by BRS's study is extremely useful, because no one else I've found is giving me (FOR FREE) such amazingly thorough information.
I guess you could argue that it's biased information because they only provided feedback for some 15-ish brands, in 2-5 combinations of each brand; I guess you could say I'm also biased because I like Reef2reef more than Reddit...
Hammer:Nail.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"To a hammer, everything looks like a nail:" If you like growing sticks, then Kessil may not be the best first choice. If you have a mixed reef tank, they look really darn good because of the intensity drop-off from center to edge, and at each 6" declination. I have to keep my Kessils turned down to ~50% to avoid over lighting my mid and bottom areas of the tank. I run three AP700s in a horizontal orientation on my 300 gallon, spaced 24" on-center.
Someday I'll need to replace these lights and I'll look at the needs of my tank and the type of corals I'm growing to make a decision. In that respect, the information provided by BRS's study is extremely useful, because no one else I've found is giving me (FOR FREE) such amazingly thorough information.
I guess you could argue that it's biased information because they only provided feedback for some 15-ish brands, in 2-5 combinations of each brand; I guess you could say I'm also biased because I like Reef2reef more than Reddit...
Hammer:Nail.

Mine are just there for the shimmer and the trace amount of UV that may or may not be beneficial. The panels do the heavy lifting for the sticks.

IMG_5378.jpeg

On the topic of par. While one can use BRS or manufacturer data to estimate a ball park, it is really up to the end user to test par themselves. I know par meters are expensive, but to test is the only way to truly know.

The benefit to actually owning one over renting one, is you can make spectral adjustments but stay in the same par ballpark to greatly lessen the negative effects found in light shifting

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still waiting for them to test my lights and do a serious review on them. No love for GHL on the BRS channel. Saw one video where it was mentioned in passing that it puts out a spectrum good for coral.....

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im still waiting for them to test my lights and do a serious review on them. No love for GHL on the BRS channel. Saw one video where it was mentioned in passing that it puts out a spectrum good for coral.....
They tested the GHL in the latest light series 5 months ago.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing costs more than free.

Might be some lighting info in some of these commercials attached...

Sorry, feeling extra cheeky today.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 1.35.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 1.35.11 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 1.35.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 1.35.26 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 1.35.53 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 1.35.53 PM.png
    425.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 1.36.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 1.36.58 PM.png
    865.6 KB · Views: 18

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the information provided by BRS's study is extremely useful, because no one else I've found is giving me (FOR FREE) such amazingly thorough information.
Many in this thread overlook this fact. Of course they plug the products they sell. An important point of context is there are two different types of videos that BRS posts (and the ones that Ryan is in now, are almost almost always geared around testing a theory, attempting to provide empirical data behind common observations, etc. Folks like to argue that the studies don't follow the scientific method to the "T", but in most instances they are way more scientific than other readily available observations...

I guess you could argue that it's biased information because they only provided feedback for some 15-ish brands, in 2-5 combinations of each brand;
As you said earlier, free info that we didn't have before, none-the-less

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 43 46.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back