Feeling sorry for Kessil after the latest BRS series

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is true, by the way, that as a tank grows shading becomes a problem with any point source light. On my prior 450, I started with four Radion gen 4 pro and five 360we. Over time I added six additional 160s and a sixth 360ne. 360s are fine, but they didn’t last for me so gradually replaced then with Xs. Eventually you have to but the bullet and pull out a couple of hundred pounds of dead skeletons, start again with frags/minis and then point sources are fine again.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, what? People still watch BRS videos? They got to where you got more actual reality out of a Kardashian or Housewives show. Did they get better, or something?

I don't care what LEDs people want to use... I am just surprised that BRS videos are still a thing.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, what? People still watch BRS videos? They got to where you got more actual reality out of a Kardashian or Housewives show. Did they get better, or something?

I don't care what LEDs people want to use... I am just surprised that BRS videos are still a thing.
Yea.. why ever listen to them

1 yr old vid.. ;)
They are more fair and balanced than most things nowadays IF you pay attention.. ;)
However much that means today.
As for being "right" well my suggestion is NEVER just look at one "opinion"..

Sorry couldn't resist..

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought my 360s did a good enough job and loved the shimmer.

Ended up buying a smaller kessil fixture for my QT frag tank as well.

That being said, the black box LEDs did just as good on my big frag tank ;)

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS walks a fine line but overall im happy they make the videos they do. They have the resources to put together some good content and scientific videos. Some will definitely come off as shilling their own products but theres just as many other videos and how to's that are beneficial to people starting out and veterans to the hobby.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading this and deciding if I should comment.

I am a big kessil fan. The number one thing that drives me crazy is how often people compare a 90 watt kessil light to a 120 or 180 watt light from another brand. My experience is a good 90 watt light will light a 24in cube well for a mixed tank or an 18in cube for an SPS tank. Likewise, a 180 watt light will light a 24in cube for SPS and can cover 36x24 or 30x30 for a mixed tank depending on the light.

If someone came to me and asked how many lights they needed for their 6x2x2 180gallon SPS tank. I would recommend 3 XR30s, 3 AP9Xs, 3 Hydra 52s, or 3 of whatever 180ish watt light brand you like. I see very few people using this many AP9xs but plenty of people using this many of other brands. The AP9X is my favorite Kessil light. It is great for SPS if one is placed every two feet. On a 4ft tank that is 4 pucks or 6 pucks on a 6 ft which gives plenty of overlapping beams of light to reduce shadowing.

Here is the other thing. With the price of the 180 watt lights I question if it isn't better to go with a hybrid if you want SPS. On the 6 ft 180 I could spend $3,000 for 3 AP9Xs with mounts or I could spend about $2,300 dollars for 3 a 360s in a hybrid fixture with lamps link cables and a WiFi dongle. I think most people would prefer the hybrid and it is $700 cheaper

This really applies to any brand of large LED light. Smaller lights in a hybrid fixture will likely deliver better results at a cheaper price.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils have hands down the best shimmer in the industry. I dont think they are going anywhere.

Agreed completely, plus i believe there is a market for combo LED systems. As seen in my system below...

The Kessil's are the "sun" and my Orphek panels are the "sky", perfect balance imo.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed completely, plus i believe there is a market for combo LED systems. As seen in my system below...

The Kessil's are the "sun" and my Orphek panels are the "sky", perfect balance imo.
looks really good! how do you post a nice video like that? are you using a phone? how do you get it to be a full view like that, i need to know these things!!!!

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks really good! how do you post a nice video like that? are you using a phone? how do you get it to be a full view like that, i need to know these things!!!!
Thanks! I'm horrible at these videos.... Yes, i used my cell phone in landscape and that's its. I do adjust the white balance....but thats about it.

OlafsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Strange. My Apogee meter over our frag tank with a360x 6" off water at only 61% intensity has much higher readings than this; 300-380 in hot spot 1/3 of tank. Wonder if this pulled the old "violet is just for looks, we left it on 0" that people love when measuring kessils.

But those numbers... Unless my par meter and the one we used before it are wrong in the 3 tanks we have kessils A360x's on... Something is off... I also don't understand how noone ever mentions to new reefers that having varying light intensity zone is a GOOD thing to most reefers. I supplement to reduce shadows but varied zones is gold in a mixed reef.

My milis might love 400-500 par, but my big gonis are gunna get cranky past 180 and down right prefer 120-150 ranges.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS tests in a clean, empty glass box full of still water. The minute you introduce rocks, sand, dirty glass and flow, it is all subject to change.

That's why you always test your tank and your lights with a PAR meter.
and it looks like fresh r.o water the minute it's saltwater it all changes lol

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and it looks like fresh r.o water the minute it's saltwater it all changes lol
For PAR readings... I highly doubt that there is any meaningful difference between salt and RO water at a depth of less than 2 or 3 feet. There is more error in the precise placement of the of measurement head or the lamps position on the test fixture relative to the tank, etc.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day the onus is on the hobbyist to do some basic homework when buying any piece of equipment. As it relates to this thread Kessil is perfectly fine and in a good place.

There is more to a successful display than just lights which hopefully most hobbyist know.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 43 46.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back