Feeling sorry for Kessil after the latest BRS series

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After power compacts, well even with power compacts, I have had Kessils. Although, always with pc or t5. So admittedly, I’m a fanboy of sorts. That said, I’m curious to hear if people think this BRS series will impact Kessils sales enough for them to go back to the drawing board for some out of the puck thinking, or move away from reef lighting altogether? Just starting a convo, not intended to be an argument starter. Thoughts?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh... I'd take ANYTHING from BRS with a grain of salt these days. They are in the business of selling products under their corporate umbrella. Kessil prolly isn't playing nice anymore with the walmart/amazon of the aquarium industry. Got a link to this 'video'?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just odd how many people have anecdotal evidence to support every coral being able to grow under it and even acropora dominant tanks. Just odd
This... Kessil is one of the higher regarded lights in the industry! They arent going anywhere!

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This... Kessil is one of the higher regarded lights in the industry! They arent going anywhere!
I realize anecdotal evidence is technically nothing but to a lot of people. Probably 99% of reefers that's enough for them to make the decisions on the equipment they have now

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Eh... I'd take ANYTHING from BRS with a grain of salt these days. They are in the business of selling products under their corporate umbrella. Kessil prolly isn't playing nice anymore with the walmart/amazon of the aquarium industry. Got a link to this 'video'?

Brs is just a profit machine at this point. I don’t even bother with 99% of their steering videos.

rip…. marinedepot
:(

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I ran Kessil over my tank, it was easily one of the worst I’ve used and tested. Shimmer was far too intense (nothing like a good halide shimmer) and growth was non existent.

On the other half of the tank was a Radion. Growth on corals and coralline was noticeably better.

It is very easy to tell when SPS come from a Kessil tank IMO. Thin branches with lots of death towards the bottom and inner skeleton.

The best Kessil setups I’ve seen ran one 360 for every 12*12 section. The tiny puck style lights will ALWAYS cast hard shadows. This isn’t Kessil exclusive.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran Kessil over my tank, it was easily one of the worst I’ve used and tested. Shimmer was far too intense (nothing like a good halide shimmer) and growth was non existent.

On the other half of the tank was a Radion. Growth on corals and coralline was noticeably better.

It is very easy to tell when SPS come from a Kessil tank IMO. Thin branches with lots of death towards the bottom and inner skeleton.

The best Kessil setups I’ve seen ran one 360 for every 12*12 section. The tiny puck style lights will ALWAYS cast hard shadows. This isn’t Kessil exclusive.
See and I never had those problems
I used 2 on a standard 90 for around year before going overboard on my lighting. Stinks you went through that. Everyone has different experiences. What makes the hobby great

OP
OP
A_Blind_Reefer

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally with ya there. Us old timers are gonna do what we do but the up and comers might be taking these as gospel and lo and behold everyone buys xr30s and blades. Still haven’t figured out how to do all the simple things like links by voice yet. It’s the last two YouTube’s on lighting. A bit long in the tooth but I’m bored and don’t have much going on. Funny how xr30s, xr30s with blades, and 52 blades over a small tank all outperform every other combo out there!

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally with ya there. Us old timers are gonna do what we do but the up and comers might be taking these as gospel and lo and behold everyone buys xr30s and blades. Still haven’t figured out how to do all the simple things like links by voice yet. It’s the last two YouTube’s on lighting. A bit long in the tooth but I’m bored and don’t have much going on. Funny how xr30s, xr30s with blades, and 52 blades over a small tank all outperform every other combo out there!
Yes. Ive done par on my own tank which is now orphek and I'm getting way better par and even spread than the numbers they gave. Just interesting in general

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The irony, huh, lol.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back