Female Clown

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a Premium Black Snowflake clown that has been in the same tank for about two years. Its male counterpart died about a year and a half ago and she sat alone for 2 - 3 months. After I replaced him with a Gladiator (Both are ocellaris and he was smaller then her) and they were fine for the last 3 months until yesterday she started to chase him and nip at his fins. Today I found him dead. Is it safe to try to replace him with another clown or should I just rehome the black snowflake and restart?

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you have to try again. I know it is sad every time a fish is lost but you must remind yourself that marine lifeforms spawn in massive numbers and usually only a tiny fraction is healthy and strong enough to survive in the wild. If your tank setup has plenty of hiding places where the subdominant specimen has a chance to get the dominant fish off of its back, I guess you will just have to keep on trying until the new specimen turns out to be a good combination with your established fish.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clowns are wired for dominance (and therefore usually aggression) so attempting to pair clowns won't ever be truly "safe", but some are easier than others. Using an acclimation box, rescaping (even slightly), and adding hiding places are all ways to increase the chances of success. I have had some clowns that just couldn't be paired, but most will be able to with some patience. Good luck!

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a Premium Black Snowflake clown that has been in the same tank for about two years. Its male counterpart died about a year and a half ago and she sat alone for 2 - 3 months. After I replaced him with a Gladiator (Both are ocellaris and he was smaller then her) and they were fine for the last 3 months until yesterday she started to chase him and nip at his fins. Today I found him dead. Is it safe to try to replace him with another clown or should I just rehome the black snowflake and restart?
Last time I was asking around about individual clownfish behavior, turns out they are kinda consistent with how bad they can be. One case is not telling enough, but it is possible she will keep on killing new mates.

It is up to you what you do next, but that's just a risk I thought I'd share. The main concern is that she was fine with the new mate until boom, she is not. Which makes it especially hard to ensure long term success.

OP
OP
Codeblack88

Codeblack88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all your input. I decided to try one more time with a new clown. Does anyone have any suggestions with acclamation? I was thinking putting the new clown in a acclamation box for a week or two and then slowly if you do see him into the tank when the lights are off or something similar thoughts?

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I was asking around about individual clownfish behavior, turns out they are kinda consistent with how bad they can be. One case is not telling enough, but it is possible she will keep on killing new mates.

It is up to you what you do next, but that's just a risk I thought I'd share. The main concern is that she was fine with the new mate until boom, she is not. Which makes it especially hard to ensure long term success.
And there is always a chance that you could get a clown that she will accept, you just never know unless you try

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back