Female flasher wrasse?

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a male Carpenter Flasher wrasse. Beautiful fish, but he rarely “flashes”. If I were to add a female, would the male start to flash more? Will they get along together?

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a male Carpenter Flasher wrasse. Beautiful fish, but he rarely “flashes”. If I were to add a female, would the male start to flash more? Will they get along together?
Problem would be most females turn male even with an existing male. I would suggest adding a male flasher of a different species. They would show off to each other without the battle two male carpenters would have.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was not aware of that! Thanks for the info.
So could I get a female of any other species and be ok? Would it still possibly turn male? Or does it need to be a male from the get go?

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a male of a different species. They would flash each other without battling. As an example, I've got 3 males. One McCoskers, one Eightline and one Blue. They do fine together. Lots of flashing. A female of a different species would be ok, you'd get some flashing and eventually that female would turn male and you'd get more. It's not easy finding true females. Usually they have started the transition to male.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had ordered what I thought would be a male and female Carpenter flasher wrasse. I received what I believe are two males... Ive had these two in my 14 month old mixed reef 200 gal. display for about a week now. Both are eating. No aggression towards them from any other fish and they so far stick together. Wondering if Im going to have a fight down the road or if they can coexist in a tank this size. Thoughts?

IMG_6090.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had ordered what I thought would be a male and female Carpenter flasher wrasse. I received what I believe are two males... Ive had these two in my 14 month old mixed reef 200 gal. display for about a week now. Both are eating. No aggression towards them from any other fish and they so far stick together. Wondering if Im going to have a fight down the road or if they can coexist in a tank this size. Thoughts?

IMG_6090.jpeg
Tank size in this case should be of help to you. They shouldn’t fight and it looks like you managed to get yourself an African Mccoskeri and a Carpenteri. So you managed to get two similar species but not two conspecifics. Those two should be just fine in your tank!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back