Fenbendazole alternatives?

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all, I’ve had a clown in qt for about a month that has gone through both column dosing and food soaking of general cure, but internal parasites still persist. It still has white string feces. I learnt that fenbendazole is an alternative to resistant parasites, however it is not available anywhere, and I am not willing to pay 150 dollars plus for it in bulk. Does anyone know any dewormers for Prazi resistant flukes that are readily available? Any advice from the experts? @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps the clown is healthy and the white string poop is normal for it. My sand sifter has it and is fine.

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps the clown is healthy and the white string poop is normal for it. My sand sifter has it and is fine.

That could be the case, but I have gotten quite attached to the little guy as I trained him to eat out of my hand. He just looks so darn cute, so I would like to exhaust other options before deeming Jim parasite free.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all, I’ve had a clown in qt for about a month that has gone through both column dosing and food soaking of general cure, but internal parasites still persist. It still has white string feces. I learnt that fenbendazole is an alternative to resistant parasites, however it is not available anywhere, and I am not willing to pay 150 dollars plus for it in bulk. Does anyone know any dewormers for Prazi resistant flukes that are readily available? Any advice from the experts? @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Stringy feces can have a number of causes. I’ve not found that trematodes in the gut are common (I’ve never seen any). Cestodes are common, but they typically do not cause white stringy feces. Nematodes aren’t affected by prazi I think. Bacterial, microsporidians and protozoans all cause stringy white feces.
Jay

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stringy feces can have a number of causes. I’ve not found that trematodes in the gut are common (I’ve never seen any). Cestodes are common, but they typically do not cause white stringy feces. Nematodes aren’t affected by prazi I think. Bacterial, microsporidians and protozoans all cause stringy white feces.
Jay

So what would be the course of action? Would any other medications be needed?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what would be the course of action? Would any other medications be needed?
What is the clown’s diet? You could try some frozen brine shrimp, not very nutritious but it can have a purgative effect and reduce gut mucus….then you can see if the issue returns.
Jay

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the clown’s diet? You could try some frozen brine shrimp, not very nutritious but it can have a purgative effect and reduce gut mucus….then you can see if the issue returns.
Jay

I feed mostly pellets and flakes, but I’ll try to get my hands on some frozen brine. Would mysis also work?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mostly pellets and flakes, but I’ll try to get my hands on some frozen brine. Would mysis also work?
Mysis is pretty fatty and I’ve hard some people say it actually makes the symptoms worse. The brine is more of a diagnostic tool - feed it for a couple of days and see if the issue goes away. Then return to the regular diet and see if it comes back. You’ve already dosed GC to handle many protozoan and worm issues, so I feel more comfortable looking into diet issues next.
Jay

OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis is pretty fatty and I’ve hard some people say it actually makes the symptoms worse. The brine is more of a diagnostic tool - feed it for a couple of days and see if the issue goes away. Then return to the regular diet and see if it comes back. You’ve already dosed GC to handle many protozoan and worm issues, so I feel more comfortable looking into diet issues next.
Jay

I don’t know what I would do without your expertise. Thank you! I’ll get my hands on some brine and report back in maybe a week on how his feces are looking.

Not2shabbe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can go to compounding vet pharmacy and get any amount of water soluble pure fenbendazole for cheap price people use theist cure cancer so big pharma has paid Thomas labs to stop making it

Not2shabbe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thomas labs Fish bendazole said that the state of Arizona made them take it off the market but you can still buy fenbendazole not water based for dog s cattle pigs goats horses in Arizona I called the state they don't know anything about this people use fish bendazole to cure cancer so I believe its big pharma criminals paying them to stop making but you can go to vet compounding pharmacy and get water soluble fenbendazole made in Usa in cGMP lab any amount which is cheaper than fish bendazole from Thomas labs

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get it as Safe-Guard for dogs (granules) or goats (liquid) at tractor supply it made by Merck so should be good quality. Dog version is only $10. Not a lot of reports of aquarium use but I have found some and fish seem to do ok with it. Maybe others can chime in? It’s not reef safe, need to dose in QT. I wanted to try the liquid goat version but haven’t yet.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back