Fenbendazole

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** This information was originally posted here: https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/fenbendazole.18/ **

Fenbendazole (dewormer)

What It Treats
Flukes (Monogeneans), and gastrointestinal parasites (worms). Particularly useful to treat strains of flukes & intestinal worms which are resistant to praziquantel.

How To TreatFenbendazole is a drug often prescribed by veterinarians to treat intestinal parasites in dogs & cats (sometimes sold as Panacur). It is also effective to use on fish, and can be purchased online in bulk (click here) or is contained in the aquarium medication Thomas Labs Fish Bendazole.

73_277_large-300x300.jpg

For treating intestinal worms (white stringy feces), you can dose fenbendazole into a QT at 2 mg/L (7.6 mg/gallon) once/week for 3 weeks. However, it is probably best to food soak the medication so it passes through the gastrointestinal tract where the worms live. You’ll need to use a binder (e.g. Seachem Focus, unflavored gelatin, Agar) to reduce the loss of medication to the water through diffusion. I recommend feeding fenbendazole for 2-3 weeks, or until symptoms (white stringy poo) are no longer present. My recipe for food soaking medications can be found below:

Using a shot glass:
1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication (Fenbendazole)
1 scoop Seachem Focus (this makes it reef safe)
1 tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
A pinch of Epsom salt to help expel dead worms/parasites
A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins
Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved
Feed after soaking for 30 mins

Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use

Noga also discusses using fenbendazole to treat monogeneans (flukes) in his book Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment 2nd Edition. He recommends a 12 hour bath treatment at 25 mg/L (95 mg/gallon). It would be advisable to transfer the fish into a sterile QT following the bath treatment (to prevent reinfection), and to perform a second bath + transfer 1 week later to eliminate any hatchlings. (Same as using praziquantel.)

At the time of this writing, it is still unclear just how “safe” prolonged immersion of fenbendazole is at 95 mg/gallon. Meaning, can it be used the same as praziquantel in a QT: Dosed once, and in 5-7 days perform a 25% water change and dose again (to eliminate eggs/hatchlings). The lower 7.6 mg/gallon dosage appears safe for in-tank use, but is that concentration strong enough to kill skin & gill flukes? One issue with fenbendazole is that it’s not easily water soluble, and turns the water cloudy/milky for at least 12 hours:

Q0zNByJ-1024x768.jpg

ProsEffective dewormer that is relatively gentle on most fish.

Cons/Side EffectsFood soaking is reef safe when Seachem Focus is also used. However, unlike prazi it is NOT SAFE to dose fenbendazole into a reef environment. At the time of this writing, fenbendazole is a relatively new medication, so all the downsides/side effects are probably not yet fully understood.

Sixty7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I've tried treating internal parasites with General Cure soaked in thawed mysis with Focus, Selcon and Garlic Guard at the recommended dose by @HotRocks and this was unsuccessful. Then @4FordFamily recommended increasing the concentration of General Cure and Focus. This I thought was working because I seen white stringy poop turn to tan and then I witnessed both Clownfish in QT (these are the only fish in QT) have what I would consider healthy looking feces. Apparently I'm dealing with some stubborn parasites. I'm on 2nd round of General Cure ( dosed into water column ) and just fed them their morning pellets and floating around was a 1" long white stringy poop! I've got Thomas Labs Fenbendazole (same exact as picture above) and I'm going to soak it in some thawed mysis, Selcon and Garlic Guard. Are the Epsom salts needed? What is the Epsom going to do for the fish? I should say that I appreciate all the help from everyone here. This is my 2nd endeavor into the hobby and my first time dealing with quarantine and fish disease. I keep searching and reading all the threads trying to absorb all the information.......there's ALOT!

Sixty7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also mention I have metroplex on hand and could/should this be used before or instead of fenbendazole? I've attached photos with both feces. white stringy on left and normal brown

IMG_1233.jpg IMG_1234.jpg IMG_1237.jpg

Last edited:

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish ... still reef safe are we thinking to food soak Fenbendazole and feed fish in a DT... with activated carbon?

My DT clowns have white stringy poop and API GC for 2 weeks didn't do the trick in QT (I thought it had, arg!)

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sticky update @Big G: Dimethyl sulfoxide is working well to help fully dissolve Fenbendazole: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/dmso-16-fl-oz

Without a solubilizing agent, fenbendazole is not easily water soluble and is just a big ol' mess to deal with. The advantage of using Dimethyl sulfoxide is it does not cause the same bacteria blooms observed with ethanol (vodka). Dimethyl sulfoxide can also be used to help dissolve other medications such as praziquantel, General Cure, etc.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back