OP
Fence13

Fence13

Over Thinker Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Osmolator 3155, if you are going to run full Neptune systems then I think it's an easy choice to get the Neptune

I have some odd concerns about being too Neptune reliant.... I've only had one outlet fail on an energy bar in my 3 or 4 years of having it.... But idk. It's why I won't get a Neptune Cor pump and WAV pumps..... Too much life support tied to one system.

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptunes.. multiple stages of redundancy and if you run an apex or not it still works well!

I'm curious how far the ATK float switch sticks out, I feel like the tunze would take up less room in the sump. And I have heard that space is a premium in these sumps. But the ATK has an exandable sensor that you can use for your ATO container so Apex will alert you when your RO is less than x gallons.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious how far the ATK float switch sticks out, I feel like the tunze would take up less room in the sump. And I have heard that space is a premium in these sumps. But the ATK has an exandable sensor that you can use for your ATO container so Apex will alert you when your RO is less than x gallons.
Your right you can add another sensor for RO reservoir amongst other things and you can remove the float valve and drill the sump and add it somewhere else... I never ran tunze so I can’t comment on sizes but from what I would imagine as completely a guess there all pretty standard

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fellow Reefers! I've got some bad news today.

3axLHy3.gif

This movie never did me wrong before, so let's give it a try! :) So while you read this, please use the smile emoji's to help read the following in a positive and uplifting note!

We new our washer was running on it's last leg (I promise it's not from washing my filter socks in there!) :) and the good news is that it's still alive! But now the fridge is on the fritz....and won't last much longer. Me being the accountant that I am, (I was never good at DIY projects but boy can I help you do a tax return!) is no longer sure that I can remain on budget during the time frame given to me. There is something about needing to keep food cold which makes this refrigerator thing more important than a "hobby". This is already on top of a carpet replacement that I have to do in order to setup the tank in it's new location.

Backstory: Tank is going in the bedroom, well we haven't replaced the bedroom carpet since we moved in some 9 years ago. It's due for a replacement. So I was going to finance that before adding the tank. It was all built into the budget see? I so smart.

Now it's about here that any reasonable person would ask, "Why not just wait longer and save up more money?" Well........basically my wife inherited this large dinning room table and chairs set from grandparents/mother and when we remodeled the kitchen, the plan was to move it into our dining room so that we could finally host family dinners and such. Alternate Reason being is that her dad's lady friend is probably tired of holding on to it....
Eq7HQuk.gif

Now this thing with the fridge is costing me money from my tank budget and that is about the price of going from a standard tank to the quality of Red Sea. The spousal factor being what it is, she has said that the regular 75g in our LFS I could buy because it's within the new price range.

giphy.gif

Are you sure Admiral?

its-a-trap-gif-8.gif

Thanks Gandalf.

So I'm torn, do I settle for the trap tank........or cause issues by sticking to the Red Sea? HALP!

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze 3155 has a buzzer when the level in the sump is too high, like when the return pump is off and some water back-siphons down into the sump. It's a PITA.

Oh I never thought of that before. That's a good point to consider

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still undecided on the new tank. Wife and I are just playing a waiting game currently. I've picked up some new frags. (pictures coming soon?) and things seem to be growing decently well still. I picked up a german blue digi that is trying to turn green so it's a weird blue-green color right now. Not a lot of polyp extension in my tank. I think one of my fish must nip the polyps on everything SPS related. But I also have a bright green skinny birdsnest that just seems to be taking off and growing an inch every time I look at it. I'll bust out the wife's camera this weekend to try and get better shots.

Other new update:
I've started using more Aquaforest product line. I'm doing the nightly coral feedings with their A, B, E, V products and just today I switched from ESV B-ionic to Aquaforest Components 1+, 2+, and 3+. I'm shocked by the amount of dosing required in Aquaforest. I'll have to fill up my dosing thing every ten days, which is a bit crazy but the $45 for 3 jugs should last me about a month each? Maybe.......

I'm not sure how I'll like this change, but it was this or Triton, and I thought Aquaforest would fit better with my current regimen.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get picture of the 93 here?

Where is Iowa are you? My dad was born in Centerville and raised in Council Bluffs. My son lives just across the Mississippi from Burlington on the Illinois side. I've got ties on two ends of the state.

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New title! Not 100% sure if it's going to be a Red Sea Reefer tank. Tank has to be replaced but not sure what is going in it's place. Reef Savvy was nice enough to quote me about a nice $1,100 for a 60g tank :) Some times it's very nice to window shop ya know?

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Picture Sunday!

I walked away from the @uniquecorals live sale and went to my LFS who was also ironically having a coral sale. Bought two nice pieces from them, came home and then spent too much money at the live sale that I was trying to avoid! Curses UC, curses!

First are the two new corals. I have a weakness for meat corals and the wife wanted the chalice. You could almost drink coffee out of this cup. DSC_8506.JPG

MVIMG_20180127_175035.jpg

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then finally for anyone paying attention still, massive picture dump!

MVIMG_20180127_172225.jpg MVIMG_20180127_172212.jpg IMG_20180127_172246.jpg DSC_8565.JPG DSC_8561.JPG DSC_8560.JPG DSC_8556.JPG DSC_8554.JPG DSC_8549.JPG DSC_8544.JPG DSC_8543.JPG DSC_8541.JPG DSC_8508.JPG

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So couple weeks ago I rearranged the bedroom to see what final size I would be working with and how much room I had. 36" would provide me no room on either side so I had to go back to the drawing board! Well as I have been doing nothing but looking at tanks and sumps and tanks all this time, it only took me about two days to narrow down what I wanted to do.

So without further ado! THE TANK AND STAND HAVE BEEN PURCHASED!

I'm eager to see how it comes and the quality of everything. I paid a bit more for an oak stand as I think that will be a very fine upgrade and match the rest of the furniture here.

Just have to wait on freight shipping :(

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo, @Fence13 , looking for a few bucks for the build?i see something I’m searching for if your willing to let a piece go..
IMG_0820.jpg

Great Backstory so far. What’s your thought on lighting?

-Zack, who’s excited to follow along.

OP
OP
Fence13

Fence13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh nice eye you have. My Morgonian Gorgonians. Purchased maybe about two years ago from @uniquecorals

Since mine has been under a very blue skewed light, it always shows up purplish while the pictures of it. I've pretty much stopped selling things but if you're ever passing through Iowa you can have a free snippet!

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh nice eye you have. My Morgonian Gorgonians. Purchased maybe about two years ago from @uniquecorals

Since mine has been under a very blue skewed light, it always shows up purplish while the pictures of it. I've pretty much stopped selling things but if you're ever passing through Iowa you can have a free snippet!

Iowa hey[emoji102] Where In Iowa. Might have to make a drive.... I only want a Frag. I wouldn’t sell the whole thing either[emoji4]

-Zack

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze 3155 has a buzzer when the level in the sump is too high, like when the return pump is off and some water back-siphons down into the sump. It's a PITA.

Check this out. About 4:30 in it shows how to disable the alarm on the Tunze 3155:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back