Few Questions on Ranco Temp Controller

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I am currently running a BRS titanium heater hooked up to Ranco two stage temp controller. Only using one stage at the moment.

Setting the controller seems pretty easy however I wanted to get some clarification on a few things.

I hit Set: First I choose F or C, then I choose desired temp (S1) (78) I understand this.

next I choose "Diff 1" I am assuming this is difference in temperature. So I have that set at 2. Which I believe means on at 76 and off at 8. If this is correct what do you guys have your temp range set at. Obviously we want our tanks at desired temperature but I understand that turning the heater and controller on and off more frequently can shorten lifespan of equipment. Should I increase my difference here larger than 2?

My final question comes with another setting it presents to me after Diff 1. It clicks to H1 (Heat 1) and finally "d1" what is this for? I couldn't find this in the youtube tutorials I was able to watch.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I am currently running a BRS titanium heater hooked up to Ranco two stage temp controller. Only using one stage at the moment.

Setting the controller seems pretty easy however I wanted to get some clarification on a few things.

I hit Set: First I choose F or C, then I choose desired temp (S1) (78) I understand this.

next I choose "Diff 1" I am assuming this is difference in temperature. So I have that set at 2. Which I believe means on at 76 and off at 8. If this is correct what do you guys have your temp range set at. Obviously we want our tanks at desired temperature but I understand that turning the heater and controller on and off more frequently can shorten lifespan of equipment. Should I increase my difference here larger than 2?

My final question comes with another setting it presents to me after Diff 1. It clicks to H1 (Heat 1) and finally "d1" what is this for? I couldn't find this in the youtube tutorials I was able to watch.

I would run the differential at 1

That is a cooling delay. You do not want compressor to short cycle so you program that to require it to be off for that amount of time before it turns back on.

OP
OP
C

Capoe126

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a cooling delay. You do not want compressor to short cycle so you program that to require it to be off for that amount of time before it turns back on.
Thank you, how do you recommend should I set that it is currently on D1

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I just searched for a link for reference on this: https://www.robertshaw.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2147496730

d1 is a delay in minutes to prevent a cooler from cycling back on too quickly after shut off.

...and I just noticed that @KStatefan already responded with the same answer.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back