Fighting Aipstasia with Violent Corals

gusmanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Folks,

About to throw the towel on reefs, due to Aipstasia. Bought pepperming shrimp, and they're still there 2 years afterwards, but not touching Aipstasia. Bought nudibrancks, and lowered flow at night for them, but haven't seen any since (suspecting shrimp might have eaten). Tried kalk-paste and aipstasia x, but only multiplied long term. My tangs will have none of CBB nor filefish introduced into the tank.

Only one thing has worked thus far for me: Having a more aggresive coral evict aipstasia from each island. Bubble-Tip-Anemone slowly but surely overan aipstasia in one island, as is a hammer coral in another island. Friends suggested elegance, hydnophora, galaxea, and acan echinata as other corals that they know for sure can out-sting aipstasia, however I have no first-hand experience with any to confirm. Any suggestions from corals you know first-hand can beat Aipstasia would be welcome. My rockscape allows for aggresive corals as I can space well. LPS/SPS, doesn't matter. Any coral that can reclaim my rockwork will be welcome.

Thanks in advance!!!

Gus

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a caulastrea (candy cane) polyp eat an aiptasia.

On the peppermint shrimp side, I got some from Algae barn a few weeks ago and... boy oh boy, they are making the aiptasia disappear! For the past few days I've noticed aiptasia gone that were there a few weeks ago, and there's only one explanation--they are doing their jobs. I have 3 in my 23 gallon display and 1 in the refugium. I mention this because you really have to get the correct species and algae barn raises them captive.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back