Fighting conch can jump!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was cleaning sand bed with new vacuum and had to move the small conch out of the way. Tried to pick it up and it jumped on me! Then it jumped several times more to the glass and stopped. I did not know it could do that. This amazing creature is contending for #2 favorite in my tank against the clownpigs, right below the RBTA at a very secure #1.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slam Dunk Basketball GIF

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, I need to see a video of that! I can't even picture that happening with these guys. Now I want to get one. LOL

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, I need to see a video of that! I can't even picture that happening with these guys. Now I want to get one. LOL
Strawberry Conch....similar, very good cleaner....have one here, no backflips, but.....its very active when least expecting. Big eyes too, and often less expensive.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strawberry Conch....similar, very good cleaner....have one here, no backflips, but.....its very active when least expecting. Big eyes too, and often less expensive.
It uses a strong “claw” like appendage to push down to pop up. Not sure what that “claw” appendage is called but it’s pretty cool. I wouldn’t call it a jump more of a pop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It uses a strong “claw” like appendage to push down to pop up. Not sure what that “claw” appendage is called but it’s pretty cool. I wouldn’t call it a jump more of a pop.
I think a "pop" describes it pretty well. Still startling the first time, but really entertaining afterwards.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was reading a thread about a conch jumping across sandbed then very next night I seen something out corner of my eye In tank.one my hermits wrestling my smallest conch.still about 2 inch long

Then next night hermit at it again lol

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to get some conch snails. I never looked into them before this thread. They're awesome looking. Are they all algae eaters? I think that's what I read. Do they need mature tanks?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was reading a thread about a conch jumping across sandbed then very next night I seen something out corner of my eye In tank.one my hermits wrestling my smallest conch.still about 2 inch long

Haha, yes! That's it. Oh, and I noticed my blue-leg hermit getting too friendly with the conch. Nope! In with the tweezers and moved to the other side of the tank.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to get some conch snails. I never looked into them before this thread. They're awesome looking. Are they all algae eaters? I think that's what I read. Do they need mature tanks?
I have a fighting conch from Dr. Reef's Quartantined Fish for my Evo 13.5g, which is likely enough for that size tank. I find them really entertaining. The eyes and the elephant trunk... like an industrial vac on your sandbed.

Mine is going through eating up the diatoms (or dinos !?) every day and night. When I get worried there's not enough I put in a bit of nori, but so far it seems happy just vacuuming the sandbed. My tank is 2 mo old.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yes! That's it. Oh, and I noticed my blue-leg hermit getting too friendly with the conch. Nope! In with the tweezers and moved to the other side of the tank.
Yeah I tried moving the hermit in question to other parts of tank but 2 times in 2 nights,that was it,in sump he went lol
He keeps sump clean and even made him some ladders out of egg crate and tied elastic bands to them so can get In skimmer and return chamber ha ha
I do target feed him little bit of clam every other day as feel sorry for him on his own down there ^_^

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure my tank was 4 month old when got my first lot of cuc which included my 2 conchs, apart from added 3 scarlet red legged month before to test the water so to speak

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seeing that conch jumping is one of the craziest things I have seen! It looks like a frog took up residence in a shell. Haha. Also the wrestling match between the hermit and conch was also quite a spectacle. :)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing that conch jumping is one of the craziest things I have seen! It looks like a frog took up residence in a shell. Haha. Also the wrestling match between the hermit and conch was also quite a spectacle. :)
Yup never a dull moment in my tank .
Its literally every man for him self ha ha

Even down to micro fauna killing each other lol

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup never a dull moment in my tank .
Its literally every man for him self ha ha

Even down to micro fauna killing each other lol

OMG, that's like something out of a national geographic documentary. LOL That's amazing video! Is that with your phone?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, that's like something out of a national geographic documentary. LOL That's amazing video! Is that with your phone?
Yes just with an old 2 year old Samsung s10 plus.
Contract run out last month so need a new phone ,but yeah this phone gives good videos.i have noticed that and got a good 10x zoom.
Hopefully new phone I get in next week or so when I can be bothered to sort it gives me same results ^_^

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just with an old 2 year old Samsung s10 plus.
Contract run out last month so need a new phone ,but yeah this phone gives good videos.i have noticed that and got a good 10x zoom.
Hopefully new phone I get in next week or so when I can be bothered to sort it gives me same results ^_^
Keep it to shoot videos if your new phone isn't as good. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back