Figured it’s time!

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figured it was time to talk about my ongoing build. I started in January by preparing for a larger build by buying a few books to get a general idea of what I was getting into (Tullock, Calfo.. etc). Then I somehow talked the wife into a frag tank, which water box put on sale (frag 45.2). After reading the natural aquarium, I settled on going with a massive amount of Lr and chaeto. So I bought some Lr from the gulf and then some from the keys, it gave me a great diversity in bacteria and various sponges, coral, etc.

For lighting I had researched the dickens out this and figured the orphek would be perfect and ended up getting like 150 off the light. A huge turn off was that due to how the water box was set up, it limited how I could mount the light. This ended up being a pain in the you know what, I hated the thought of having to build a light mount instead of just buying one. When it’s all said and done building one usually came to the price of buying one. But whatever, I liked the orphek due to the various positives and the layout of the leds. But at the time I ordered it ended up being like a week before the Chinese New Year. So this was an additional 3 weeks but I was on w that. Then corona ramped up in China and they turn around went past the 3 weeks and I could never get a good answer to a timeline. Plus talking to customer service half way across the world and the delay that goes into that, was a bit u settling. So once the time line went by a couple times, I just requested a refund. They were great about it and got it back to me in less than a day. At this time the gen 5 Radion came out and I was able to get it and save money when all was said and done. Plus easy to get ahold of and located somewhere in Pa I believe
Mounted it super easy.

as for fish, I figured I’d keep that simple. While cycling the tank I got inpatient and went with a clown, it was starting to read nitrates so it wasn’t to inhospitable. my wife wasn’t a fan of the orange so I inadvertently went with a black saddleback not knowing they tend to be more difficult and a bit aggressive. It looked a bit dark for the little guy at first but it ended up being the typical clown behavior in a new tank. Once it was fully cycled I tossed in a six line but the clown had taken off and was growing fairly fast. So it ended up being second in command to the saddleback. Now up to this point I had always very much wanted to get an orchid dottyback but held back due to their aggression. But with the current two I figured he’d be fine. So at this point the clown is still in charge and claims whatever territory it wants. The wrasshas taken to the rocks and the dottyback gets whatever the other two want to give him but he found a hole in a rock that he sneaks off to.

for coral, idk I just buy what I like and try to stay away from cancerous ones that cost a pretty penny. So really couldn’t tell you any names. Few ric fl, acans, micromussa, favia, blasto muss,zoa, Monti...etc

As of recent I had been getting nitrates fairly high ish and phosphate holding steady at .12-.16. This is with a Q3d water change and because of that schedule I don’t dose for anything and most stay fairly consistent. I went and got a cheap eshops protein skimmer. Figured Tullock and Calfo were probably right when they sang praise of these things. But it was hard to get it dialed in and overall wasn’t very impressed. So I got to talking to Jeff at lifereef and learned a lot from him, heck of a guy.All I knew about Venturi set ups were what I read in those books previously mentioned. So with what I read and what we talked about, I went with a lifereef. They are simple, efficient and last forever. Plus every product has a hateful review no matter how good they are but lifereef seems to consistently have praise. Plus I never see any one getting rid of them, that should be a sign right?
during our talk I was able to voice my frustration with the waterbox sump set up. It really didn’t allow you to efficiently do anything. The skimmer section was fairly small and to run it as a refugium was next to impossible( I know its a skimmer section though) and the ATOwas only around 2 gallons. My problem with the ato is that
A) it’s incredibly small
B) if I did loose power the water in the DT would end up over flowing the sump. The ato is right next to the pump section and has a overflow hole drilled into the top to help in this case.
so anyways.... we decided that the apace could be better utilized with a custom sump, allowing me to get practice use out of every bit of my sump and if need be I can run an external ato of 10 ish gallons.

So at this point the skimmer is done and on its way and I am pretty dang excited, went with a few custom colored touches and this should last me for any tank I need in the future up to a point. Also for the next tank I can convert this to a frag/QT Tank. Sump should be done in mid August, possibly July. Got to say upto this point Jeff has been great to work with and found a new appreciation for everything lifereef. It’s simple, efficient and should do what it’s meant to and then some. I’ll keep this updated as I get the rest in

C2E756BE-838B-4E59-8EDB-18CBF59B45BE.jpeg 14CA58D1-1605-4966-85C0-BE3FEE392C84.jpeg 1B888FD1-AC34-4BD4-87D8-48866F691978.jpeg 9F85DA8A-64B6-45BF-8E01-4FB44452D8ED.jpeg 0AC810EB-5B78-4E72-ABB9-3D15A9E6A949.jpeg 29897641-A3A0-4CBB-BEA6-7F5BC2DC4098.jpeg

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I figured it was time to talk about my ongoing build. I started in January by preparing for a larger build by buying a few books to get a general idea of what I was getting into (Tullock, Calfo.. etc). Then I somehow talked the wife into a frag tank, which water box put on sale (frag 45.2). After reading the natural aquarium, I settled on going with a massive amount of Lr and chaeto. So I bought some Lr from the gulf and then some from the keys, it gave me a great diversity in bacteria and various sponges, coral, etc.

For lighting I had researched the dickens out this and figured the orphek would be perfect and ended up getting like 150 off the light. A huge turn off was that due to how the water box was set up, it limited how I could mount the light. This ended up being a pain in the you know what, I hated the thought of having to build a light mount instead of just buying one. When it’s all said and done building one usually came to the price of buying one. But whatever, I liked the orphek due to the various positives and the layout of the leds. But at the time I ordered it ended up being like a week before the Chinese New Year. So this was an additional 3 weeks but I was on w that. Then corona ramped up in China and they turn around went past the 3 weeks and I could never get a good answer to a timeline. Plus talking to customer service half way across the world and the delay that goes into that, was a bit u settling. So once the time line went by a couple times, I just requested a refund. They were great about it and got it back to me in less than a day. At this time the gen 5 Radion came out and I was able to get it and save money when all was said and done. Plus easy to get ahold of and located somewhere in Pa I believe
Mounted it super easy.

as for fish, I figured I’d keep that simple. While cycling the tank I got inpatient and went with a clown, it was starting to read nitrates so it wasn’t to inhospitable. my wife wasn’t a fan of the orange so I inadvertently went with a black saddleback not knowing they tend to be more difficult and a bit aggressive. It looked a bit dark for the little guy at first but it ended up being the typical clown behavior in a new tank. Once it was fully cycled I tossed in a six line but the clown had taken off and was growing fairly fast. So it ended up being second in command to the saddleback. Now up to this point I had always very much wanted to get an orchid dottyback but held back due to their aggression. But with the current two I figured he’d be fine. So at this point the clown is still in charge and claims whatever territory it wants. The wrasshas taken to the rocks and the dottyback gets whatever the other two want to give him but he found a hole in a rock that he sneaks off to.

for coral, idk I just buy what I like and try to stay away from cancerous ones that cost a pretty penny. So really couldn’t tell you any names. Few ric fl, acans, micromussa, favia, blasto muss,zoa, Monti...etc

As of recent I had been getting nitrates fairly high ish and phosphate holding steady at .12-.16. This is with a Q3d water change and because of that schedule I don’t dose for anything and most stay fairly consistent. I went and got a cheap eshops protein skimmer. Figured Tullock and Calfo were probably right when they sang praise of these things. But it was hard to get it dialed in and overall wasn’t very impressed. So I got to talking to Jeff at lifereef and learned a lot from him, heck of a guy.All I knew about Venturi set ups were what I read in those books previously mentioned. So with what I read and what we talked about, I went with a lifereef. They are simple, efficient and last forever. Plus every product has a hateful review no matter how good they are but lifereef seems to consistently have praise. Plus I never see any one getting rid of them, that should be a sign right?
during our talk I was able to voice my frustration with the waterbox sump set up. It really didn’t allow you to efficiently do anything. The skimmer section was fairly small and to run it as a refugium was next to impossible( I know its a skimmer section though) and the ATOwas only around 2 gallons. My problem with the ato is that
A) it’s incredibly small
B) if I did loose power the water in the DT would end up over flowing the sump. The ato is right next to the pump section and has a overflow hole drilled into the top to help in this case.
so anyways.... we decided that the apace could be better utilized with a custom sump, allowing me to get practice use out of every bit of my sump and if need be I can run an external ato of 10 ish gallons.

So at this point the skimmer is done and on its way and I am pretty dang excited, went with a few custom colored touches and this should last me for any tank I need in the future up to a point. Also for the next tank I can convert this to a frag/QT Tank. Sump should be done in mid August, possibly July. Got to say upto this point Jeff has been great to work with and found a new appreciation for everything lifereef. It’s simple, efficient and should do what it’s meant to and then some. I’ll keep this updated as I get the rest in

C2E756BE-838B-4E59-8EDB-18CBF59B45BE.jpeg 14CA58D1-1605-4966-85C0-BE3FEE392C84.jpeg 1B888FD1-AC34-4BD4-87D8-48866F691978.jpeg 9F85DA8A-64B6-45BF-8E01-4FB44452D8ED.jpeg 0AC810EB-5B78-4E72-ABB9-3D15A9E6A949.jpeg 29897641-A3A0-4CBB-BEA6-7F5BC2DC4098.jpeg

Looks like you’re off to a good start! :)

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I got my lifereef in, let’s just say jaw dropping. What an awesome looking product. Compared to the Eshopps it is a absolute monster, extremely simple and just screams quality. For such a big skimmer that base is only at 6.5x6.5”, so fitting it in this wb Sump wasn’t awful. Everything I needed was packed in the gigantic box this thing came in and Jeff packed for Armageddon. Next up is the sump and that should help the tank run more efficient without a doubt. Went with a pink theme for both, gotta support breast cancer.

B1BFE182-25BB-4EDC-BE7B-BC76ECC0880C.jpeg 6F43324C-9BB5-465F-82C1-1620574E8C1B.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Just came across the build, looking good. Never had a Lifereef but never heard anything but good about them. Keep us updated as you get it tuned in.

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me try and grab one after my shift, it took some time to fine tune the gate valve but once you get it dialed in to your preference it is outstanding.

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my son poured a whole thing of food in my tank so it through my skimmer off but I snagged a picture of what I could.

6CDB77DD-52E1-4524-9BA8-EBED56673C6A.jpeg 49CD4811-45E7-4BBE-9EC1-A80B847F4E12.jpeg

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hows the build going? just ordered the frag 45.2 myself, any major issues so far?

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good so far, your son is going to love the tank. My daughter was 6 when I had my first tank so she became my fiah store buddy. They can learn alot if involved

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He loves it indeed and has been very hands on, lol sometimes rearranging the aquascape. But it’s been a lot of fun thus far and I appreciate the kind words!

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any photo updates of. The tank? Curious how ppl have been aquascaping these

Did yiu end up changing the sump at all?

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up having to address a house emergency and was unable to. But it’s something that would utilize a lot more space than currently. Yeah absolutely, lights are off at the moment. I’ve been battling my pencil urchin and he seems to rearrange as he sees fit lol.

4EAA917C-41E0-42C5-9A6C-11CDB0509A1D.jpeg

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I just wanted to get an updated shot of the tank. It’s been fairly steady, been trying to get Ph right but I’m on the fence on whether to chase it or not. Started w kalk but that jacked my alk up over time and it wasn’t appreciated by the coral. So now I just dose a bit in the morning but not through out the day.

EC597FB0-C4C9-42CF-BC74-858A75443422.jpeg 5730F66D-EC40-4A94-8EC7-7CF3DDD7FA5D.jpeg

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals looking happy! whats your other parms looking like?

also any photos of inside the stand? curious where you put all the plugs and stuff since i'll be getting same tank

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot, so I try to keep my alk around 8.5-9, Ph hangs out around 7.8, calcium 460, mag 1310 and salinity 1.025. I run all the cords to a triplite that hangs on the back of the cabinet.

The only thing I am not a huge fan of is the sump that comes with it. I unfortunately had a emergency come up during my order from life reef. A lifereef Sump set up right would be ideal but I have just kept it simple. I run the lifereef protein skimmer and some foam before the pump. If need be I’ll run a filter sock to polish the water.

1BC397EA-4AB8-46A3-B617-7987C72CDDAB.jpeg

jdubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot, so I try to keep my alk around 8.5-9, Ph hangs out around 7.8, calcium 460, mag 1310 and salinity 1.025. I run all the cords to a triplite that hangs on the back of the cabinet.

The only thing I am not a huge fan of is the sump that comes with it. I unfortunately had a emergency come up during my order from life reef. A lifereef Sump set up right would be ideal but I have just kept it simple. I run the lifereef protein skimmer and some foam before the pump. If need be I’ll run a filter sock to polish the water.

1BC397EA-4AB8-46A3-B617-7987C72CDDAB.jpeg
Nice thanks! May I ask what you don't like about the sump? From what I read ppl seem to like waterbox dumps vs red sea.

Also any concerns with water splashing over the back and hitting the elecrical if it's just on the back?

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have my panel above and to the side and haven’t had any problems out of it. Plus it’s rated for a wet environment so if there were any issues or is equipped.
My biggest problem is the layout. Mostly the included ato is useless in my opinion and does nothing but take up space. It’s size is not very proportional. Unfortunately running the life reef skimmer I have no room for anything else, including any reactors if need be or even a small refugium. The way the panels are placed also make it difficult to alter them in anyway.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back