Fiji Cube 108 INT Off To The Races

AdamNorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, just got my Fiji Cube 108 INT M up and running!It’s my first tank in about 10 years, so it’s definitely a whole new world.

My plan is a mixed reef with some sticks up high and some flowy LPS around the bottom. I took the lazy aquascaping approach and hooked together two CaribSea Liferock plateau pieces. Really digging it so far.

Just dosed 2ppm ammonia to kick the cycle off.

I’d love to hear some advice for the new guy

844C7D9F-3F07-4B03-A6FE-2A9BBA0AD2E1.jpeg B575DC5A-123A-4F0C-B759-3AD971F1485F.jpeg B96115C0-E2D5-49C3-B052-C8394489D7E6.jpeg

OP
OP
AdamNorris

AdamNorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I haven't asked for a second yet, but I'm sure that rule applies to me too!

OP
OP
AdamNorris

AdamNorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle is commencing well. I dosed 2ppm Ammonia with Brightwell Microbacter Quickcycle, and seeded an Export No3 Brick with Microbacter 7 to put in the sump. Later I found a bottle of Start XLM :( but didn't use it because I thought it may slow things down with the Microbacter7. 6 days later, I'm down to .25 ppm ammonia, 1 ppm nitrite, and 5.8 ppm nitrate.

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like it so far? Thinking of getting one of these. Do you have a y pics of your sump? I was curious if their ato would fit in the sump area to free up more space in the cabinet area for other equipment. Also I read in another thread about the ato lid being cumbersome due to the lid being 1 piece causing issues w cords going into the ato.

OP
OP
AdamNorris

AdamNorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like it so far? Thinking of getting one of these. Do you have a y pics of your sump? I was curious if their ato would fit in the sump area to free up more space in the cabinet area for other equipment. Also I read in another thread about the ato lid being cumbersome due to the lid being 1 piece causing issues w cords going into the ato.
Hey gator bait, I’m not aware of any Fiji Cube ato, but here’s how I have the sump set up. Take my feedback with a grain of salt because this is my first setup with a sump. However, it does seem a bit small, it’s fairly quiet, but not silent. I need a lower level for my skimmer to run well and that creates a bit of noise from the water coming off the filter floss. I’m sure I could put a stand under the skimmer and raise the water level, i just haven’t yet. Also, small thing but my ocd hates it: the probe holder is a joke, at least for Apex probes. Sucks.

I have some tidying up to do down there but I like the setup so far

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy their 24" sump? I thought that when you bought their full setup it came with a ATO reservoir. I inquired about the dimensions of the cabinet and they said the sump area was 30". I was wondering if their 24" sump along w the 6" ATO would fit on that side. Otherwise upgrade the sump to 30" and take up all the space in the sump area. Are you running a DC return pump, maybe that would give u control on the flow noise.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220208-082044_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220208-082044_Samsung Internet.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 69

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks, just got my Fiji Cube 108 INT M up and running!It’s my first tank in about 10 years, so it’s definitely a whole new world.

My plan is a mixed reef with some sticks up high and some flowy LPS around the bottom. I took the lazy aquascaping approach and hooked together two CaribSea Liferock plateau pieces. Really digging it so far.

Just dosed 2ppm ammonia to kick the cycle off.

I’d love to hear some advice for the new guy

844C7D9F-3F07-4B03-A6FE-2A9BBA0AD2E1.jpeg B575DC5A-123A-4F0C-B759-3AD971F1485F.jpeg B96115C0-E2D5-49C3-B052-C8394489D7E6.jpeg
Oh wow, I am following this build...this is the size I am looking at this summer to replace my custom build...

OP
OP
AdamNorris

AdamNorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy their 24" sump? I thought that when you bought their full setup it came with a ATO reservoir. I inquired about the dimensions of the cabinet and they said the sump area was 30". I was wondering if their 24" sump along w the 6" ATO would fit on that side. Otherwise upgrade the sump to 30" and take up all the space in the sump area. Are you running a DC return pump, maybe that would give u control on the flow noise.
Yes, I got the 24” sump and it’s definitely a bit small IMO. Yea I’m running a cor15 and it barely fits the chamber

OP
OP
AdamNorris

AdamNorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t done an update in a while, partially because things have been better in the tank. We’re currently fighting ich.
Added an AquaUV sterilizer and decided to go with the Humblefish Hydrogen Peroxide treatment in tank, so that I don’t have to try and become a quarantine/medication/treatment expert overnight. The fish are breathing and still eating well, so I decided on this method instead of pulling them all out for treatment. So far, no casualties

Stock List (since I haven’t posted)
Ocellaris clown
Frostbite clown
Midas Blenny
Royal Gramma
Tomini Tang
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Orchid Dottyback
Adorned Wrasse

Also, we’ve got a pretty nice mix of zoas, lps, and a couple lps frags going well.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t done an update in a while, partially because things have been better in the tank. We’re currently fighting ich.
Added an AquaUV sterilizer and decided to go with the Humblefish Hydrogen Peroxide treatment in tank, so that I don’t have to try and become a quarantine/medication/treatment expert overnight. The fish are breathing and still eating well, so I decided on this method instead of pulling them all out for treatment. So far, no casualties

Stock List (since I haven’t posted)
Ocellaris clown
Frostbite clown
Midas Blenny
Royal Gramma
Tomini Tang
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
Orchid Dottyback
Adorned Wrasse

Also, we’ve got a pretty nice mix of zoas, lps, and a couple lps frags going well.
You went with the external overflow instead of the internal on the Fiji 108?

OP
OP
AdamNorris

AdamNorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE! (Not a fun one)

So, a lot has happened.

1. Had a disease outbreak and lost some fish. Royal Gramma, orchid dottyback, and yellow eye kole tang passed in the tank. Definitely some ich, black ich. Brook on the clowns as well. I scrambled to find equipment to set up a QT and the tang and Royal gramma passed in those couple days. Dottyback followed soon after. I started dosing h202 to the tank immediately at first obvious signs of ich and had a UV online within a week, but it was too late. I hesitated to start to heavy on the h202, so I started at 1mL/10 gallonsow I’ve been at about 1mL/ 5 gallons every 6-8 hours for a few weeks. I was able to catch the clownfish and Midas Blenny within a few days of setting up QT (maybe 10 days after seeing obvious signs of disease) and ramped up to 2.5ppm copper in 2 days. They made an almost 100% turn around in a a week or so with metroplex and general cure treatment in addition to copper. Then yesterday after a 100% water change, just like I’ve been doing every 3 days for a couple weeks, the clownfish died. I’m not sure what the problem was, as the Midas is perfect and was in QT with them. The Tomini tang and adorned wrasse are still in the DT, since I can’t catch them and they won’t go in any trap that I’ve tried. The wrasse has never showed any signs of disease. The Tomini showed black ich and regular ich, but has been a trooper and has appeared clear for 5 days now. He’s ate well the whole time, but frequently stopped at the cleaner shrimp for a mouth/gill clean. It must have given him some relief. Hopefully the UV and peroxide have put a serious dent in those nasty critters in the DT. But the plan is to still remove those fish and go fallow for 6 weeks.

2. Cyano in the middle of that but it has almost 100% cleared up. Maybe due to the UV and H202

3. Hair Algae that has now also cleared up. I’m sure the lighter bio load has starved it out.

DONT BE ME!
I’ve heard everybody say things about QT on YouTube and trusted mentors. But “I only get fish from my very trusted LFS.” Or “I only get perfect looking fish.” This is what I did. Everything was eating well and looked perfectly healthy when I bought it and put in my tank… until it didn’t. No new fish will do into my DT now without proper QT and observation, period.

Hard lessons suck

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE! (Not a fun one)

So, a lot has happened.

1. Had a disease outbreak and lost some fish. Royal Gramma, orchid dottyback, and yellow eye kole tang passed in the tank. Definitely some ich, black ich. Brook on the clowns as well. I scrambled to find equipment to set up a QT and the tang and Royal gramma passed in those couple days. Dottyback followed soon after. I started dosing h202 to the tank immediately at first obvious signs of ich and had a UV online within a week, but it was too late. I hesitated to start to heavy on the h202, so I started at 1mL/10 gallonsow I’ve been at about 1mL/ 5 gallons every 6-8 hours for a few weeks. I was able to catch the clownfish and Midas Blenny within a few days of setting up QT (maybe 10 days after seeing obvious signs of disease) and ramped up to 2.5ppm copper in 2 days. They made an almost 100% turn around in a a week or so with metroplex and general cure treatment in addition to copper. Then yesterday after a 100% water change, just like I’ve been doing every 3 days for a couple weeks, the clownfish died. I’m not sure what the problem was, as the Midas is perfect and was in QT with them. The Tomini tang and adorned wrasse are still in the DT, since I can’t catch them and they won’t go in any trap that I’ve tried. The wrasse has never showed any signs of disease. The Tomini showed black ich and regular ich, but has been a trooper and has appeared clear for 5 days now. He’s ate well the whole time, but frequently stopped at the cleaner shrimp for a mouth/gill clean. It must have given him some relief. Hopefully the UV and peroxide have put a serious dent in those nasty critters in the DT. But the plan is to still remove those fish and go fallow for 6 weeks.

2. Cyano in the middle of that but it has almost 100% cleared up. Maybe due to the UV and H202

3. Hair Algae that has now also cleared up. I’m sure the lighter bio load has starved it out.

DONT BE ME!
I’ve heard everybody say things about QT on YouTube and trusted mentors. But “I only get fish from my very trusted LFS.” Or “I only get perfect looking fish.” This is what I did. Everything was eating well and looked perfectly healthy when I bought it and put in my tank… until it didn’t. No new fish will do into my DT now without proper QT and observation, period.

Hard lessons suck
Good and not so fun update.... BTW, in the next 3 weeks, I will be pulling the trigger on the 108 Fiji system, AS soon as I sign the dotted line on my new house, the next purchase will be the Tank (Priorities)...lol

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased the same 108 INT entire package... should be here on Friday...Question, do you have a lid on yours and where did you get it from if you have one? I spoke with the @Fiji Cube representatives two days ago and they said sometime in the fall, lids for the larger systems will be out for sale.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gator bait, I’m not aware of any Fiji Cube ato, but here’s how I have the sump set up. Take my feedback with a grain of salt because this is my first setup with a sump. However, it does seem a bit small, it’s fairly quiet, but not silent. I need a lower level for my skimmer to run well and that creates a bit of noise from the water coming off the filter floss. I’m sure I could put a stand under the skimmer and raise the water level, i just haven’t yet. Also, small thing but my ocd hates it: the probe holder is a joke, at least for Apex probes. Sucks.

I have some tidying up to do down there but I like the setup so far
Do you have a lid on your aquarium if so, which brand do you have?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back