Fiji Livestock Ban: Coral and Rock Exports Halted

MikeA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently noted on the Ministry of Fisheries, Fiji FB page...

https://www.facebook.com/fisheriesfiji/posts/1501326856649871

The Ministry of Fisheries has banned all harvesting, purchasing, sales and export of live coral and aquarium rock (also known as live rock, coral rock or fossil coral) from the 28th of December, 2017.
All companies are to adhere to the following:
1. All harvesting, purchasing and sales of live rocks and live coral are now banned, and no export permits would be processed by the ministry.
2. The Convention in International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) Scientific Committee (SC) will be submitting to the Management Authority (MA) on 7th January 2018 that Live Coral and Live Rock is given a zero quota for 2018.
3. The Ministry of Fisheries and both the CITES MA and SC would be supporting the development of other sustainable options, particularly the development of farmed or cultured coral.

From Walt Smith International:
Untitled-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.... I certainly do not agree with the outright banning of any fishery, especially sustainably harvested ones, such as Fiji. I guess we just all have to hope that better resources go to coral farming, which is already taking place in fairly large scale.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, this isn’t fish, just rock and coral correct?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From WS:

Walt Smith International, Fiji would like to acknowledge the recent statement in the news related to the complete ban of collection and export of Coral and Live Rock. The Recent ban has come as a total shock to our company and the industry in Fiji. We only found out by a facebook post Friday morning and have not been legally notified of any bans currently in place.

Required protocol in matters like this are to consult with local industry before any actions are taken. We have been in contact with the local government and are working through the issues and future of the exports in Fiji but cannot comment further until work resumes on Tuesday January 2nd.

While this is potential roadblock for our company, we are confident that our business will continue.

We appreciate the concern and consideration for the reefs and sustainability in Fiji, and as WSI maintains a sustainable approach toward all our operations with our coral farms, reef replanting operations with the ADEProject.org, we have high hopes for a great sustainable future within Fiji.

Fortunately for WSI we have extended ourselves to be able to export our Man Made rock and Cultured corals, along with our wonderful Fiji Fish.

Walt, Deb & Dave
Our 100+ Local Employees

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Walt will switch his energy into mariculture, if he hasn't already

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow this is pretty huge news! Ughh!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe Walt will switch his energy into mariculture, if he hasn't already

The way it sounds that no coral or rock at all will be allowed to be exported.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really Rev, hmmm. Farmed coral has to be mounted on something. Maybe he can use artificial bases

I mean even farmed coral might not be allowed to be exported. :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back