everyobe thought of The federal government is looking to ban importation and exportation of a species of tropical fish that conservation gr

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://krdo.com/news/ap-national-n...a-tropical-fish-threatened-by-aquarium-trade/

if the federal government wants to ban this for saltwater aquariums then they should also look int freshwater. where I live there are alot of invasive fish from hobbyists just throw into the local rivers and lakes and then we all know the results from there.

This isn't a surprise to me, I figured that eventually it will all go captive breeding eventually.

whats everyone's thoughts on this

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I doubt banning the import of Banggai cardinals would have that big of an affect. They have been captive bred for a while now. I’d say 99% of the Banggai I ever see for sale say captive bred. That being said I doubt the conservation group realizes that the fish is captive bred lol.

I believe certain fw fish have been banned. You cannot get snakeheads in many US states as far as I’m aware due to their invasive nature. At least they’re not trying to block people from owning the animal all together.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I doubt banning the import of Banggai cardinals would have that big of an affect. They have been captive bred for a while now. I’d say 99% of the Banggai I ever see for sale say captive bred. That being said I doubt the conservation group realizes that the fish is captive bred lol.
I was typing something similar then lost it all. They do only mention Banggai cardinal fish so it's not like a blanket ban on imports. And like Bribo stated most are captive bred. I have a lfs that has large troughs in a green house where they breed them.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I got mad when I saw this and then I calmed down and went and researched it.

The Bianggai Cardinal fish was first listed by NOAA in 2016 after a scientific group offered their opinion that the fish was going extinct (or in danger of going away) and that it should be protected.

The next piece is from the Federal Registrar

On April 22, 2021, NMFS received a petition from the Center for Biological Diversity, the Animal Welfare Institute, and the Defenders of Wildlife requesting NMFS promulgate a rule under section 4(d) of the ESA to provide for the conservation of the Banggai cardinalfish. On August 4, 2021, NMFS published in the Federal Register a notice of receipt of that petition (86 FR 41935) and requested information and comments for evaluating the request during a 60-day comment period. In addition to comments and information pertaining to any aspect of the petition, we specifically requested information regarding: (1) the adequacy of existing measures regulating the collection and trade of the Banggai cardinalfish throughout its range; (2) the availability and efficacy of captive-bred fish for aquaria trade, both domestic and international; (3) information on the collection/harvest (including, but not limited to, number, location, mortality rate), and trade (import/export data, value, transit mortality rates) of wild fish for aquaria trade; and (4) implementation and efficacy of Indonesia's National Plan of Action (NPOA) (2017–2021) for Banggai cardinalfish and adequacy of enforcement of Banggai cardinalfish regulations.

We received 18,395 comments on that notice, of which 18,391 were from concerned citizens, scientists, and the Center for Biological Diversity, Animal Welfare Institute, and Defenders of Wildlife, in support of promulgating protective regulations. The comments focused on the importance of conserving the species, specifically by prohibiting the importation of Banggai cardinalfish into the United States. The other four comments did not support promulgating protective regulations. Those comments expressed concern regarding the effect applying the prohibitions in section 9 of the ESA to this species would have on the aquaculture production of Banggai cardinalfish and on conservation efforts for this species in Indonesia.

The GROUPS OF ACTIVISTIST have railroaded the process to make these fish illegal to trade in the USA. That is the impact of their activites, to make this fish illegal to own, soon.

The fish is grown in Asia and captively breed there. I believe that these CB B. Cardinals are commonly imported to the USA. IF the save the planet folks get this passed that importation and economic activity will stop. Let the fish breeders starve to save the wild populations! This is activism and it wont stop unless hobbists reply to the rule makers;

HOW TO is on the page

and pasted here below. Make a comment or lose another species for captive breeding and aquarium enjoyment.

Comments regarding the proposed rule and supporting documents may be sent to the appropriate address (see ADDRESSES below ), no later than 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on October 16, 2023. A public hearing may be requested by September 29, 2023. Notice of the location and time of any such hearing will be published in the Federal Register not less than 15 days before the hearing is held.

ADDRESSES:​

You may submit comments, identified by NOAA–NMFS–2023–0099, by Electronic Submissions: Submit all electronic public comments via the Federal eRulemaking Portal https://www.regulations.gov and enter NOAA–NMFS–2023–0099 in the Search box. Click on the “Comment” icon, complete the required fields, and enter or attach your comments.

Instructions: Comments sent by any other method, to any other address or individual, or received after the end of the comment period, may not be considered by NMFS. All comments received are a part of the public record and will generally be posted for public viewing on https://www.regulations.gov without change. All Personal Identifying Information ( e.g., name, address, etc.) voluntarily submitted by the commenter may be publicly accessible. Do not submit Confidential Business Information or otherwise sensitive or protected information.

We will accept anonymous comments (enter N/A in the required fields if you wish to remain anonymous). Attachments to electronic comments will be accepted in Microsoft Word, Excel, or Adobe PDF file formats only.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:​

Call these folks and nicely tell them to leave captive breeding programs in third world countries alone, as well as domestic operations that are slowly coming on line. Aquarium folks like fishes and corals and we don't want to see anything go extinct (except mean people perhaps) and we support trade that this listing would derail and make illegal.

Celeste Stout, NMFS, Office of Protected Resources, [email protected], (301) 427–8436; Erin Markin, NMFS, Office of Protected Resources, [email protected], (301) 427–8416.

Tell them Kris Reef sent you.

Thanks for commenting early and often. Once each day should help prevent the unbalanced dialogue that will be foisted upon the rule makers by the professional organizations who don't want any aquarium trade anywhere in the world. Once they stop the fishes, they will come for your coral, and then your dog. Sorry, but that's the end game.

Obey Marc Rodriguez GIF

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back