Fiji Livestock Ban: Coral and Rock Exports Halted

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that said, have a look at this clip by Julian Sprung (MACNA 2014):

To get maximum effect, fast forward to 6:10 in the video and watch the next 15 seconds or so. It makes me wonder who is encroaching on whom's domain? Do we take possession of the reefs . .. . or have they enraptured us like voiceless sirens.

Thanks for this video, I think it's one of the best and most important videos I've seen related to reefing. Julian's discussion is good, the talk by the(ETA: can't believe I left this sentence half done; the remainder follows) industry panel, especially the boss of Quality Marine.

My takeaways:

Government regulations can be very arbitrary (but anyone who's seen these things firsthand knows this)

There are several organizations, generally composed of lawyers (either working pro bono, or hoping for a post-succesful litigation payout; and getting money from donations) with a cause, who believe their advocacy, lobbying, and litigation will "save coral reefs". Given the success of other organizations over time (in other fields), it's reasonable to believe that advocacy, lobbying, and litigation can successfully achieve regulatory results (whether or not this has anything to do with "saving coral reefs").

These organizations can choose what they target for complaints/advocavy/lobbying, and a number of them believe that the "aquarium industry" is a key "threat" to the "reefs". (as an aside, in some places commercial exploitation has quite destructively used cyanide poisoning, over exploitation, etc.). Saltwater aquariums are a niche hobby; there are not so many of us, we're not politically organized, and therefore we are an easy target compared to over development (real estate and tourism industry), ground runoff (real estate), oil spills (oil industry), navigational destruction (shipping industry), and commercial fishing (commercial and charter hobby fishing) - history has shown that it's impossible to go against these industries for "coral reef destruction" unless they do something egregiously wrong. There are also bureaucrats, judges,etc. who are sympathetic to these anti-aquarium organizations (big problem), as well as bureaucrats, judges who also have no real clue how to deal with their constant lobbying and litigation (an equal problem but not quite so dangerous).

The anti-aquarists have been successful in some areas. Hawaii has banned the keeping of corals, even at the hobbyist level, since 1999-ish, and said anti-aquarium organizations count that as a success because this prevents people from "cutting up the reef for ornaments" (which, like other things they say, are false and show they don't have any understanding of what they talk about). From there, we've seen the constant lobbying and litigation in Hawaii against aquarium collecting (protected by a relatively small collection industry in Hawaii; and for the record the collection industry has been excellent in Hawaii, at least for the past few decades), which after years of failure finally got a success by litigation in the current collection ban*. Now, this has gotten to Fiji.

IMO:

We do need to become politically active. Nobody is going to stick up for us, we are a very easy target. And our efforts can be tied to the pet industry, but at the same time we have to be independent of the industry. I don't like some of the worst practices of the industry (rampant collection of fish that cannot be easily kept long term in an average tank and which many ignorant hobbyists purchase - yellow tang is a great example, cynanide collection, overexploitation, the collector-distributor-LFS hot potato). Dealing with these will make our advocavy lives easier. I honestly would prefer direct purchase of livestock from the mari/aquaculturer or collector overnighted to my door when at all possible. But at the same time, it would be wrong to demonize the aquarium industry, of course, since we ultimately fund it. Aquarists need our own voice, but at the same time we'll have to work often with the pet industry, as well as maybe with other industries on a case by case basis.

* their big advocacy/lobbying/litigation point has been the fact that most yellow tangs in the hobby are collected from the Kona coast of Hawaii - the numbers collected are really large. The anti-aquarium groups further allege 1. most collected fish die within a year (they have a point here; I would much prefer collection based on specific request from retail purchasers vice the current collect-push down supply chain model. In an ideal world) 2. that wild numbers are way below what they should be (impossible to prove, and a decent google search will show this point to be a red herring), and 3. that collection has "destroyed the reef" IVO Kona because they aren't around to eat algae (pure nonsense). I will go again on the record to say that I wouldn't mind a bag limit in Kona).

Post edited to, well, edit the grammar and structure of the post. :)

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many simple hobbyists have made often small but important discoveries before any scientist. Often the hobbyist does not get the recognition for those discoveries as they don't have an ology or realise the significance of their discovery and in some cases, the discovery is stolen from them so to speak. This is the case with both corals and fish which often help with conservation of the coral reefs.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Addendum: You can see here the results of an attempt to ban the ownership of the banggai cardinal by listing it as an endangered species, and all the gory details that went into the decision to list it as threatened, not endangered:

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/Status Reviews/banggaii_cardinalfish_sr_2015.pdf

Eta: rather than spamming, I just edited. Here’s another post describing the wholesale trade these days. The comment from Sea Dwelling Creatures is particularly interesting. This is great, and I’m very glad to see that the business side of our hobby is moving towards this direction.

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/11/26/the-changing-face-of-marine-aquarium-wholesalers/

Last edited:

DGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great news for the local Fijians, the industry and hobbyists!

FIJI IS BACK!

We just received an email confirming that after meeting with the Fijian government officials and showing them the sustainability and conservation efforts put forth by WSI that they will be allowed to continue the cultivation and propagation of Corals and Live Rock.

The Cites commission has also approved the shipping of corals and live rock to the USA.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful news! Hopefully this model will pass on to other locations.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hawaii has banned the keeping of corals, even at the hobbyist level, since 1999-ish,

I did not realize one cannot own a reef aquarium in Hawaii and stock it with imported (Asian) corals. I've been searching for proof of this and can only find Hawaii's statutes indicating one cannot collect from the ocean around the islands. I did find references to what you wrote in other forums.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dar/habitat/coral-reefs/coral-and-live-rock-laws-of-hawaii/

Can you please cite any official references?

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have it now, but available somewhere in the HI DLNR site is is an extensive list of what's legal and illegal to import. IIRC basically any Coelenterate is on the list (including many commonly kept species, listed by name. Even if they aren't listed, there's no way you're going to get a permit for it). Therefore, you won't see any for sale in local stores. (why fish are legal and corals aren't, I assume, is because back when they made these rules the marine aquarium hobby was driven by fish, and corals were a niche. I'd think the chances of at least most hard corals becoming invasive are far less than fish)

Last edited:

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not realize one cannot own a reef aquarium in Hawaii and stock it with imported (Asian) corals. I've been searching for proof of this and can only find Hawaii's statutes indicating one cannot collect from the ocean around the islands. I did find references to what you wrote in other forums.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dar/habitat/coral-reefs/coral-and-live-rock-laws-of-hawaii/

Can you please cite any official references?
Seems like you can keep zoanthids.. I think @grandis is in HI with a zoa tank, iirc. Maybe he can offer some info..

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like you can keep zoanthids.. I think @grandis is in HI with a zoa tank, iirc. Maybe he can offer some info..

This is correct. The only place i know of that has (local species only) zoas commercially is pet depot on ewa beach on Oahu.

Eta: There are a few soft coral species which are theoretically possible to keep, but they don’t grow very big, and they’re very hard to find. There’s one very common invasive species of soft coral, which is not legal to keep because it’s invasive .

Last edited:
OP
OP
MikeA

MikeA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Walt Smith International Facebook page.

Walt Smith Int'l Fiji
2 hrs ·
Bula!

I know its been over a month since we have put out an update, and trust me when I say we have been in the offices of the government every day of this 70 day ban.

Walt and Dave spent this time providing data and records to show the Prime Minister and his staff how WSI operates and the sustainable efforts we have already established in the 23 years we have been in Fiji. After many long presentations and meetings the Prime Minister was convinced of our success, honesty and commitment to the Fiji Reefs.

The government will be setting up an monitoring team to ensure compliance and work with us on the future of Fiji's Reefs, ensuring they will be around for everyone to enjoy forever.

We openly welcome all of this as we have always had an open door policy toward our government.

We can now officially say that the Fiji Coral ban has now been lifted and our quota for 2018 is being restored.

WSI still has a rough road ahead of us in getting everything back on track but this is a huge hurdle and we are excited to be able to start getting back to normal business.

Additionally we would like to thank many of you for donating to The ADE Project and this played a huge part in showing our industries commitment to sustainability. It is not to late to also help show your support and be part of the huge rehabilitation program for Fiji.

www.adeproject.org

www.waltsmith.com

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Walt Smith International Facebook page.

Walt Smith Int'l Fiji
2 hrs ·
Bula!

I know its been over a month since we have put out an update, and trust me when I say we have been in the offices of the government every day of this 70 day ban.

Walt and Dave spent this time providing data and records to show the Prime Minister and his staff how WSI operates and the sustainable efforts we have already established in the 23 years we have been in Fiji. After many long presentations and meetings the Prime Minister was convinced of our success, honesty and commitment to the Fiji Reefs.

The government will be setting up an monitoring team to ensure compliance and work with us on the future of Fiji's Reefs, ensuring they will be around for everyone to enjoy forever.

We openly welcome all of this as we have always had an open door policy toward our government.

We can now officially say that the Fiji Coral ban has now been lifted and our quota for 2018 is being restored.

WSI still has a rough road ahead of us in getting everything back on track but this is a huge hurdle and we are excited to be able to start getting back to normal business.

Additionally we would like to thank many of you for donating to The ADE Project and this played a huge part in showing our industries commitment to sustainability. It is not to late to also help show your support and be part of the huge rehabilitation program for Fiji.

www.adeproject.org

www.waltsmith.com
Great to hear I will try and come vist this year I think

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea it has been a while now since they reopened it to Walt.. I believe it still is closed except for Walt who is mainly Aquaculture and man made rock. He really does not take much off the reef and actually puts some of his frags back on the reef.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back