OP
MikeA

MikeA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just about to post that!

That's potently good news. I'm still dumbfounded that they could make such a huge decision and be completely uneducated on what they're doing...

It does appear to have been an uninformed decision, but hey, we don't know all the detail.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone seen the Netflix original show called, "Chasing Coral"? It is one of those global extinction documentaries modeled after "Chasing Ice" documenting the decline of polar ice. "Chasing Coral" predicts near total decline of global reefs in 30 years due to increasing ocean temperatures. They videographed several coral gardens undergoing coral bleaching - - as it happened over a 2 month period.

The point I'm raising is Fiji, and maybe other coral based islands, might be trying to save their reefs any way they can - - one way is to keep the corals in place. As I understand it, the problem is climate, and the safest place for these corals may be inland in someone's climate controlled basement.
Don't believe everything you hear. Below is an excerpt http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/16/polar-bear-numbers-still-on-the-rise-despite-global-warming/
"The new population estimates from the 2016 Scientific Working Group are somewhere between 22,633 to 32,257 bears, which is a net increase from the 2015 number of 22,000 to 31,000. The current population numbers are a sharp increase from 2005’s, which stated only 20,000 to 25,000 bears remained — those numbers were a major increase from estimates that only 8,000 to 10,000 bears remained in the late 1960s."

The point is we are talking about politics and people making a lot of money peddling misinformation, outright making up numbers. That is what we are facing with reef issues like Fiji. It colors all facets of like not just environmental issues. It enables people to feel morally superior when they are not moral at all. Chasing coral is most likely another environmental hit piece put out as scientific fact. They always make future projections that cannot be verified scaring people. My 2 1/4 cents worth.

OP
OP
MikeA

MikeA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From WSI FB page

Walt Smith Int'l Fiji

Due to the recent ban with our Fiji Coral we have had many people reach out to us in support. Bruce Carlson who is has not only been a close friend to Walt & Deb, is a great ally for our company. Attached is a letter of support that we feel is a great read to help understand some of the issues faced here.
-------------

January 2, 2018

The Minister
Ministry of Fisheries and Forests
Government of Fiji

RE: Ban on coral exports

Dear Honorable Minister:

I read with great concern about the recent ban on the export of coral from Fiji. As a marine biologist and former researcher at the University of the South Pacific, I realize the need for wise conservation of natural resources, but drastic preservation measures often have severe unintended consequences that are more harmful than helpful. In this case, I believe that Fiji will realize little if any change on coral reefs as a result of the coral export ban, but it definitely will cause significant trauma to people who will lose their jobs, and to the Fiji economy which will suffer a totally unnecessary financial loss.

In the early 1970’s I, and others, conducted a comprehensive survey of corals throughout the Fiji archipelago under the auspices of USP resulting in a significant increase in the number of coral species known from the Fiji Islands. These specimens form the core of the Marine Reference Collection at USP, which exists to this day. I have subsequently returned many times to dive on Fiji reefs, including in the year 2000 when Fiji suffered a catastrophic coral bleaching event. During the bleaching event, I set up transects on reefs off Lautoka and on the Beqa Barrier Reef to monitor the effects of bleaching, and subsequent recovery. Despite variations in recovery rates, the majority of reefs showed remarkable resilience and recovered to near pre-bleaching conditions.

In 2010, I returned to monitor transects on the Beqa Barrier Reef. On one transect near Frigate Passage, I counted over 800 coral colonies per transect (1 x 30 meters) or about 27 corals/m2 at a depth of about 15 meters; these were mostly young colonies averaging 4-11 cm diameter. This was an area that suffered heavy coral mortality from bleaching in 2000. Now consider that from Frigate Passage to Cutter Passage, the Beqa Barrier Reef is about 39 km in length. A swath 30 meters wide x 39 km along the Beqa Barrier Reef would therefore yield a MINIMUM coral population estimate of 31.6 million corals. But the reef is much much wider than 30 meters, so this is a very low estimate. Also realize that this is just on the outer slopes of ONE reef. When you consider ALL of Fiji’s reefs, many of which have similar coral density, the total number of corals in Fiji is astronomical – especially in comparison to the vanishingly small number exported for the aquarium trade.

To see exactly how remarkable the recovery has been for many of Fiji’s coral reefs, I would urge you to view my video “Resilience” on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHcsg3dnass&t=5s

Preservationists argue that natural resources need complete protection from all human activity, and in some cases this is correct, especially for beautiful natural areas and for species threatened with extinction. On the other hand, conservation biologists recognize that through careful management it is possible to extract natural resources, such as coral, in a long-term sustainable manner without harm to the species or the environment. With many millions (billions?) of colonies in Fiji, coral is hardly threatened with extinction and even after major cyclones and catastrophic bleaching events, Fiji reefs have shown remarkable resiliency.

Hard data exist indicating that the export of live corals is clearly sustainable at current levels of collecting in Fiji. Opponents certainly have valid global concerns about coral reefs, but I suspect they have not presented data that coral collecting in Fiji is damaging or unsustainable. Tossing hardworking people out of work on the basis of non-existent anecdotal evidence, and losing millions of dollars in revenue from overseas trade is a serious miscalculation and injustice to people and the Fiji economy.

I submit that Fiji will realize little, if any, measurable effect on its coral reefs from a ban on live-coral exports. If you want to make a difference for corals, please focus on overfishing, pollution and dredging all of which have damaging, and long-lasting negative impacts on entire coral ecosystems – not just corals. Continue working with the live-coral exporters and collect data on the reefs in areas where collecting takes place, and I am certain you will discover that this fishery is both sustainable and beneficial: to local people who enjoy employment, to the airlines who receive significant revenue, and to many thousands of people worldwide who experience learning about Fiji coral reefs from their home aquariums.

Vinaka vaka levu

Bruce Carlson, Ph.D. - retired
Peace Corps research biologist, University of the South Pacific (1972- 1975)
Director, Waikiki Aquarium, University of Hawaii (1976 – 2002)
Conservation Director, Georgia Aquarium (2002 – 2010)

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From WSI FB page

Walt Smith Int'l Fiji

Due to the recent ban with our Fiji Coral we have had many people reach out to us in support. Bruce Carlson who is has not only been a close friend to Walt & Deb, is a great ally for our company. Attached is a letter of support that we feel is a great read to help understand some of the issues faced here.
-------------

January 2, 2018

The Minister
Ministry of Fisheries and Forests
Government of Fiji

RE: Ban on coral exports

Dear Honorable Minister:

I read with great concern about the recent ban on the export of coral from Fiji. As a marine biologist and former researcher at the University of the South Pacific, I realize the need for wise conservation of natural resources, but drastic preservation measures often have severe unintended consequences that are more harmful than helpful. In this case, I believe that Fiji will realize little if any change on coral reefs as a result of the coral export ban, but it definitely will cause significant trauma to people who will lose their jobs, and to the Fiji economy which will suffer a totally unnecessary financial loss.

In the early 1970’s I, and others, conducted a comprehensive survey of corals throughout the Fiji archipelago under the auspices of USP resulting in a significant increase in the number of coral species known from the Fiji Islands. These specimens form the core of the Marine Reference Collection at USP, which exists to this day. I have subsequently returned many times to dive on Fiji reefs, including in the year 2000 when Fiji suffered a catastrophic coral bleaching event. During the bleaching event, I set up transects on reefs off Lautoka and on the Beqa Barrier Reef to monitor the effects of bleaching, and subsequent recovery. Despite variations in recovery rates, the majority of reefs showed remarkable resilience and recovered to near pre-bleaching conditions.

In 2010, I returned to monitor transects on the Beqa Barrier Reef. On one transect near Frigate Passage, I counted over 800 coral colonies per transect (1 x 30 meters) or about 27 corals/m2 at a depth of about 15 meters; these were mostly young colonies averaging 4-11 cm diameter. This was an area that suffered heavy coral mortality from bleaching in 2000. Now consider that from Frigate Passage to Cutter Passage, the Beqa Barrier Reef is about 39 km in length. A swath 30 meters wide x 39 km along the Beqa Barrier Reef would therefore yield a MINIMUM coral population estimate of 31.6 million corals. But the reef is much much wider than 30 meters, so this is a very low estimate. Also realize that this is just on the outer slopes of ONE reef. When you consider ALL of Fiji’s reefs, many of which have similar coral density, the total number of corals in Fiji is astronomical – especially in comparison to the vanishingly small number exported for the aquarium trade.

To see exactly how remarkable the recovery has been for many of Fiji’s coral reefs, I would urge you to view my video “Resilience” on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHcsg3dnass&t=5s

Preservationists argue that natural resources need complete protection from all human activity, and in some cases this is correct, especially for beautiful natural areas and for species threatened with extinction. On the other hand, conservation biologists recognize that through careful management it is possible to extract natural resources, such as coral, in a long-term sustainable manner without harm to the species or the environment. With many millions (billions?) of colonies in Fiji, coral is hardly threatened with extinction and even after major cyclones and catastrophic bleaching events, Fiji reefs have shown remarkable resiliency.

Hard data exist indicating that the export of live corals is clearly sustainable at current levels of collecting in Fiji. Opponents certainly have valid global concerns about coral reefs, but I suspect they have not presented data that coral collecting in Fiji is damaging or unsustainable. Tossing hardworking people out of work on the basis of non-existent anecdotal evidence, and losing millions of dollars in revenue from overseas trade is a serious miscalculation and injustice to people and the Fiji economy.

I submit that Fiji will realize little, if any, measurable effect on its coral reefs from a ban on live-coral exports. If you want to make a difference for corals, please focus on overfishing, pollution and dredging all of which have damaging, and long-lasting negative impacts on entire coral ecosystems – not just corals. Continue working with the live-coral exporters and collect data on the reefs in areas where collecting takes place, and I am certain you will discover that this fishery is both sustainable and beneficial: to local people who enjoy employment, to the airlines who receive significant revenue, and to many thousands of people worldwide who experience learning about Fiji coral reefs from their home aquariums.

Vinaka vaka levu

Bruce Carlson, Ph.D. - retired
Peace Corps research biologist, University of the South Pacific (1972- 1975)
Director, Waikiki Aquarium, University of Hawaii (1976 – 2002)
Conservation Director, Georgia Aquarium (2002 – 2010)
Fantastic write up I was not able to see much when I was in Fiji but what I did see looked good.

donphenry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as the right money or favor crosses the right hands this ban will be lifted.

Make no mistake; As cynical as this above sentence is, it’s all it ever boils down to. Walt has a great operation by all standards. Any casual observer can see this and this includes years of Fijian oversight and politicians looking on. As fast as this happened, someone in power didn’t like the current arrangement.

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I'm still dumbfounded that they could make such a huge decision and be completely uneducated on what they're doing..''

Really??? You're DUMBFOUNDED that a politician can make a decision while being completely uneducated on what's going on? In that case, I'd like to introduce you to....oh, just about every politician who's ever existed.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm not used to the guilt free reefers in my country but our hobby is not meant to be at the expense of the environment but more for the benefit of the environment
Our hobby is not meant to benefit the environment in any way but to co-exist peacefully with it while the environment sustains itself. We add nothing to the environment as a hobby. There may be side benefits such as activism in helping to repair reefs from clubs and associations but not directly related to the hobby itself. Mariculture takes pressure off the reefs primarily for profit not to directly benefit the reefs. Once again this hobby is meant for the hobbyist to enjoy while PEACEFULLY co-existing. It was never started to benefit the environment and probably never will. This was not about the environment anyways it was about politics and moral superiority. Very sad.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing this. I had to chuckle when I read this part, "This is a place for the concerned public worldwide to begin – or continue – their engagement in the effort to combat global warming and the human activity that causes it." So, why not cut to the root of the problem? Has anyone considered dealing with the root cause of 'human activity'? Seems like 'human activity' is just a symptom of an invisible (or unspoken) "other" problem :) tongue-in-cheek (-:

Maybe, just maybe, more reef tanks in more homes and offices would 'inactivate' more humans rendering them as inanimate zombies for more hours of the day as they stare in calm (i.e. less CO2 emissions) amazement at the captive reef and thus reduce 'human activity'.
The solution is simple. Kill off all humans!! Duuuhhh!

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Once again this hobby is meant for the hobbyist to enjoy while PEACEFULLY co-existing. It was never started to benefit the environment and probably never will. This was not about the environment anyways it was about politics and moral superiority. Very sad.

With that said, have a look at this clip by Julian Sprung (MACNA 2014):

To get maximum effect, fast forward to 6:10 in the video and watch the next 15 seconds or so. It makes me wonder who is encroaching on whom's domain? Do we take possession of the reefs . .. . or have they enraptured us like voiceless sirens.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that said, have a look at this clip by Julian Sprung (MACNA 2014):

To get maximum effect, fast forward to 6:10 in the video and watch the next 15 seconds or so. It makes me wonder who is encroaching on whom's domain? Do we take possession of the reefs . .. . or have they enraptured us like voiceless sirens.

Great video. Thanks for the heads up. Voiceless sirens so far... I investigated MASNA as Julian mentioned it and just joined for $20.oo. I encourage all of the hobby folks to do the same. They also have a defense fund listed that can be contributed to as well. Instead of griping from afar we can actually do something...
http://masna.org/joinrenew/
http://masna.org/pijac-marine-ornamental-defense-fund/

Myk

Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KLP, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Although the hobby may not have been originally intended for the benefit of the environment, I feel that it is an important source of revenue that can directly impact the environment. When the people native to these nations have access to an industry that is sustainable it is a benefit to the environment and now more than ever we can take that even further with the knowledge that we have and by supporting these reef restoration efforts and research.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KLP, I have to respectfully disagree with you. Although the hobby may not have been originally intended for the benefit of the environment, I feel that it is an important source of revenue that can directly impact the environment. When the people native to these nations have access to an industry that is sustainable it is a benefit to the environment and now more than ever we can take that even further with the knowledge that we have and by supporting these reef restoration efforts and research.
I agree we can certainly be supportive with our dollars. It would be wonderful if this model could spread to other parts of the world. Boots on the ground transplanting reefs will likely be the most important thing for conservation.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate your thoughts. Everything we do on earth impacts the environment. It is in the best interests of the harvesters to not deplete the resource but that just maintains the status quo. That is a good thing for them as it is good for their continued livelihood just like foresters replanting and it does not hurt the environment. The people trying to close down the harvesting are not interested in maintaining the environment but elimination of the harvesting entirely that the very natives earn their living from. Keep everything in its original state don't you know... That's what they really want. We can tell their motives by the lies, deceit and underhanded tactics.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back