FijiCube 76 Build

vividwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you may have seen my FijiCube 81 build thread a couple years back. Well, that build never got off the ground. Shortly after I posted I found out I was being relocated back to The Bay from PA.

Since moving back I have been running my old IM25 lagoon frag tank as my main display. Nothing fancy; just some clowns, a handful of inverts, a couple acro/millis, and some GSP that has become the bane of my existence.

Until last week when my wife gave me the go ahead to upgrade (mainly because she wants to get rid of the GSP so I’ll stop complaining about it). I’ve had ~25 lbs of aquascaped dry rock cycling in a brute container on the patio for ~6 months now, but I hadn’t anticipated getting the spousal thumbs up at this point. Needless to say, when she said she was ready for the upgrade I took advantage of the Memorial Day sales. Currently on order, or received, are the following components:
  • 76 Gallon FijiCube with stand and 24” 30” sump
  • FijiCube filter roller
  • Three Noo-Pysche K7 Pro III
  • Two 36” no name Chinese LED light strips
  • Reef Octopus Regal 150-sss Protein Skimmer
  • Pax Bellum ARID N18 Macroalgae Reactor
  • 15 Watt Aqua Ultraviolet UV Sterilizer
  • BRS Media Rector
  • Two MP40s - need to order
  • Vectra M2 - need to order
  • Neptune Trident (Nitrate/Phosphate) - need to order once available
Existing Equipment
  • Two MP10s (if they’ll stay on 12mm glass)
  • Neptune Trident (Alk/CA/Mag)
  • Two DOS
  • Neptune ATO
  • Neptune Apex
The plan for the new tank is to be an invert heavy SPS/wrasse dominate build. We’ll likely also have a small Euphyllia garden. Pretty sure I just explained a mixed reef now that I typed it out, but we’ll build out an active stock list as this goes along.

Also, I promise tons of pictures, as soon as the tank arrives, hopefully next week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vividwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update. There was a delay in the shipment of the aquarium. I had reached out to FijiCube three times to check on when the aquarium would ship before I got a response. Turns out the sump was not in stock, but they didn’t bother to proactively each out to me. Once they finally responded, they made it right by upgrading me to the next larger sump and getting the aquarium out the same day. I’m not completely happy with the resolution because I don’t want the space under the stand to be too crowded, but I also did not want to wait for them to restock the 24” sump.

Fortunately , the aquarium arrived in LA this evening and I have a tentative delivery day of next Wednesday.

In anticipation of the tank’s arrival I have been making RO/DI all day to rinse the silt out of my dry sand. My RO/DI unit is mounted to the wall in the bathroom and I connect it to the shower when in use. I have a very patient and understanding wife…

I also assembled the “floating” canopy out of 2020/2040 t-slot. I think it came out pretty good, and miraculously very level. I’m going to skin it out with some removable 6-8” wide boards painted white to match the stand.

We have a friend in town from HK for several days next weekend/early the following week. I’m really hoping the aquarium arrives Wednesday so I can get the stand assembled and have a place to store all the equipment that is hanging out in the den/my office/guest room (that’s just one room; thanks Bay Area) before she arrives. If all goes to plan, the following weekend I should be able to get this thing wet.

IMG_4862.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vividwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has arrived!

For the coastal part of The Bay Area it is scorching out today (mid-80s F). I worked up quite a sweat getting this thing from outside, through the garage, up the elevator, and into our unit. Luckily our amazing building engineer was around and offered to give me a hand. It wasn’t easy even with the assistance of a couple furniture dollies; I do not know how you guys with 200+ gallon aquariums do it. I guess a lot more planning and people than I had.

I knew the reputation of FijiCube with bad communication, poor seams, and scratched/chipped glass going into this, but it was really the only non-custom tank on the market that fit the dimensions that I wanted; so for the second time, I took the gamble with them. Luckily, my tank looks good. The seams are nice and clean, and I do not see any evidence of chipped or scratch glass.

After work the wife and I are going to start assembling the stand. Hopefully we can also get the aquarium uncrated and onto the stand tonight. My plumbing order from BRS is also arriving today, but the plumbing will probably have to wait until next week after our friend leaves.

Attachments

• IMG_4871.jpeg
    IMG_4871.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4875.jpeg
    IMG_4875.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4872.jpeg
    IMG_4872.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4874.jpeg
    IMG_4874.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
V

vividwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I spoke too soon. We got the aquarium uncrated and onto the stand this afternoon only to find a crack in the bottom right corner of the front pane. I’ve reached out to FijiCube, we’ll see what they have to say…

Attachments

• IMG_4884.jpeg
    IMG_4884.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4883.jpeg
    IMG_4883.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
V

vividwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, FijiCube has responded and they are refusing to send a replacement aquarium unless I pay for the full freight cost (likely >$600). They claim that “Upon further review of the pictures provided, [they] can conclude that the damage that is seen on the tank is not from [their] manufacturing. The extent of the damage is not a defect from manufacturing and it would not have passed [their] quality inspection.” When asked how they determined this and to provide me evidence that the aquarium was not damaged prior to shipping, they refused to answer.

This to me is unacceptable considering the aquarium arrived damaged. At this point I have disputed the charge with Amex. We will see what the ultimate resolution is in 2 weeks to 90 days…

I have read the bad reviews about FijiCube, and I obviously should have heeded others’ warnings. For other people looking at FijiCube aquariums, my advice, stay away. Do not do business with this shady company.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this..

Hey FijiCube if you're looking for a way to go out of business, you're on the right track.
Godspeed

OP
OP
V

vividwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this..

Hey FijiCube if you're looking for a way to go out of business, you're on the right track.
Godspeed
Thanks for the support. I really do appreciate it. It's a frustrating situation for sure. At this point I’m not really sure what to do. Do I just go find a different aquarium? Do I wait for Amex to intervene and hopefully FijiCube will come to their senses and send me a replacement? I’m just stuck in stasis right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an alternative tank with similar dimensions? Basically a 48” shallow aquarium that is 18-24” wide? I’ve been looking at the AquaJapan 80 Gallon Frag tank, but I think it only comes with an external overflow. I really wanted internal to save some space and simplify plumbing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vividwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after filing a dispute with Amex, and some negotiations on my part, FijiCube has agreed to split the freight cost with me for a new aquarium. It ended up coming out to $150. I still do not think I should be responsible for any of the new shipping costs considering the tank arrived cracked, but I also just want to get an aquarium here and start my build.

If the tank dimensions were not exactly what I want, I would definitely be going a different direction right now. But, given the circumstances, I think this is the best resolution. Fingers crossed FijiCube does not purposely send me a factory second.

OP
OP
V

vividwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was hoping FijiCube would get the replacement aquarium out quickly, but it seems they are not going to send it out until “…sometime next week.” I only got this information out of them after I emailed them yet again.

it looks like it will be a couple more weekends before I can get this thing wet. I might make a trip to HD this weekend and try to skin out the canopy. Maybe I’ll start some wire management? Not really sure what I can do until I get the new tank here to plumb.

I did order parts to make a DIY automated battery backup with a 100 Ah LiFePO4 battery, a 500w inverter, and an automatic relay switch. Total cost was about $350 and gives me ~5x the capacity of the Ecotech Battery backups with much more flexibility. My plan is to plug one of my EB832s and program Apex to run one of the heaters at a lower temperature and my MP40s and return pump at a lower speed, when it senses a power outage. I think this will work and should provide me at least 6-8 hours of battery backup with the shedded load. We live in a densely populated/commercial area (quick restoration times) with infrequent natural disasters (infrequent outages). So, I think this will be plenty until the next Loma Prieta-esque quake, in which case we will likely have bigger issues to worry about.

On a related note, if anyone in the Bay Area wants to try to remove/replace the front cracked panel on the first 76 INT that I received, the tank is yours if you can come pick it up.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 82 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.2%
Back