File Fish & Majano - Wow!

westwind77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Majano's in my tank for a couple years now (110 x-hi). I have tried injecting them with chemical, which seemed to work, but too many to control and with my rock set-up really no way to get all or most of them. I bought a Majano Wand and used that as well with decent results as I could get access to more, however killing more than a few a day seemed to upset the tank a bit. I then ordered in a File Fish as a last resort and he has cleaned out 90-95% of the Majano's in a couple weeks, absolutely amazing! I easily had at least a hundred of them, pretty much all on the smaller side, but a few larger. I am just shocked and how fast he eliminated the issue! I hear them can also nip coral though too and I have a fair amount of button polyps, should I be conserved about those?

OP
OP
W

westwind77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100%. I was going to go this route before the pandemic hit but my LFS never received any back in stock and I do not like ordering fish on-line during the winter as they don't arrive in good condition due to the cold, not fair or nice to do to the poor fish.

OP
OP
W

westwind77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good story. We see a lot of posts of lack of success with file fish.
Do you feed heavy?
I have read hit or miss results but figured it was worth a shot. I have 11 fish in the tank, including the File Fish, one shrimp and one crab. Typical feed one cube a day and they seem to be happy. Some days I will put in two. Figured this way you can make your own determination if that is heavy or not.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a File fish for around 2 years and he takes care of any pests that show up. He eats flakes, frozen, nori also. He has not touched any of my corals. Very happy with him.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fish twice a day, mostly flakes. Broadcast feed several times a week. My nutrients are stable at N03 10ppm and Po4 .06. 75 gallon mixed reef with 7" clam.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple filefish and also a cupperband , none of them touch them your lucky

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back