Filefish

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I think they're a great fish but it's definitely hit or miss. They can also have a tendency to pick at certain corals if not fed well. I have one that came as a tiny baby from biota, it's growing fast but I've yet to see it touch aptasia. Luckily it's not eating my corals either. Some swear by them and others wouldn't allow one in their tanks. Either way I wish you the best of luck :)

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about Filefish to get rid of aiptasia or what is everyone's different experience with those fish

Best Regards smogenreef

Sadly depends on the individual fish... my Biota aiptasia eating filefish has been banished to my FOWLR. I did confirm that if it had NOTHING else to eat (because I put it in a large acclimation box with only aiptasia...) it would. However mine prefers everything else BEFORE aiptasia.

Since they eat Berghia, I moved it to different tank. On the plus side, it is amazing at camouflaging itself, but its still a fish I'd never get again based on my 1 individual fish.

However, I've friends that swear by file fish!

Good luck!

PS - IMMEDIATELY treat any aiptasia because they can be dropping 1.7-5 additional aiptasias EACH each week. Quickly this math gets out of control.

I swear by F-Aiptasia, but my tank is too big, I'm too small and I've gorgous rockwork that is just to big... If I had my tank to do over, I'd have placed it so I could get behind and somehow have that canopy so by myself I could get it off OR all rocks would be small enough to come thru canopy doors (NOT).

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aptasia eating filefish never bothered to help with it. I had my single peppermint shrimp take on an army of majano and aptasia filling a 300-gallon reef alone. Haven't seen either pest since. The shrimp is now probably 2 inches, if I had to guess. Easily the biggest peppermint shrimp I've ever seen. It's close to the size of a full-grown cleaner shrimp

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 pairs of them in 2 separate tanks and they devastated aiptasia. It took almost 2 weeks before aiptasia was eliminated from tanks. Filefish are shy and eat at night so you won't see instant results. Lots of places advertise "aiptasia eating" but mine were from ORA and I trust their listings.

Back