Filling new tank

RBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am setting up a 90 gallon FOWLR tank. My plan is to run a line from my RO unit directly into the tank to fill. I am using Ocean Direct live sand and dry rock while I cycle. I was going to add salt in a concentrated mix as the tank fills. My main concern is the live sand. Will doing it this way harm the sand either before salt is added or if salt is added concentrated.
Thanks!

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i added my sand, rock and then filled with tap water and mixed salt in after using powerheads, im sure you will be fine.

and yes, im using RODI now... wasnt going to spend days filling 200gals with rodi

OP
OP
R

RBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i added my sand, rock and then filled with tap water and mixed salt in after using powerheads, im sure you will be fine.

and yes, im using RODI now... wasnt going to spend days filling 200gals with rodi
Thank! I think I may use tap water to fill as well. It does seem like a long process otherwise.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend waiting however long for you to fill with RODI, guess depends on source water. If you’re really chomping at bit and don’t want to wait, at least run it through a carbon block or two. No problem adding in salt to display for the initial fill

Wave Whisperer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did for my recent 130 gal was RODI water first, mixed up the salt nicely in the tank with a few powerheads and return pumps, then in goes the sand and finally my rocks. This was a tank upgrade though. But I used fresh new dry sand, which was thoroughly washed before going into the tank to prevent excessive clouding or any contaminants.

Reason I did in that order was I didn't want the sand to blow all over the place during the mixing stage.

Indeed, using RODI for the first fill is a painfully long process. It took me a good 2 days to fill up my setup with full RODI.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did for my recent 130 gal was RODI water first, mixed up the salt nicely in the tank with a few powerheads and return pumps, then in goes the sand and finally my rocks. This was a tank upgrade though. But I used fresh new dry sand, which was thoroughly washed before going into the tank to prevent excessive clouding or any contaminants.

Reason I did in that order was I didn't want the sand to blow all over the place during the mixing stage.

Indeed, using RODI for the first fill is a painfully long process. It took me a good 2 days to fill up my setup with full RODI.

Nice way to do it

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you want to use tap water? You're going to be kicking yourself the entire ugly stage wondering if it was your fault.

I'd just run the RODI line over, set it and forget it.
Don’t you still have an ugly stage with RODI though?

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t you still have an ugly stage with RODI though?

I think using tap is lower percentage advice that adds one more thing to hunt down when something undesirable happens. Like assigning a fish death to tap water when it was really flukes or vice versa.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think using tap is lower percentage advice that adds one more thing to hunt down when something undesirable happens. Like assigning a fish death to tap water when it was really flukes or vice versa.
Interesting. All my tanks have been filled with tap water + Prime + Fritz. I started with dry rocks & bare bottom too! Subsequent top-offs have been RODI though.

Yes — I went thru an ugly stage like everyone but reducing light intensity helped a lot!

I personally think that if you treat the water properly, you should be fine.

My 2c — ymmv

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll probably get all kinds of advice here.
All my tanks were started with tap water as well. Granted, I haven't put tap water in them in years and years but I don't think I had any overt issues using tap water nor did I have any remorse or anxiety doing it that way.
The last tank I started that I didn't finish due to multiple reasons I actually used rodi only and mixed 5 gallons at a time. I didn't really care how long it took.
If I did it again I'd just go tap.
Feel free to mix salt in tank and you can always add sand later using a funnel and pipe.
Have fun!
I'm barebottom so that didn't matter to me.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect to sand (and the OP’s FOWRL) I would go bare bottom - way easier to clean and prevent a detritus trap, unless you’re willing to clean the sand bed during every water change. All my tanks have been BB except the recent carpet nem tank since they need to bury their foot. Unless you like the aesthetic of sand and willing to clean it religiously, my recommendation is to go BB — way easier for long term success and super low maintenance.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gobsmacked to see how many people are using tap water. Tap water for leak testing only and RO thereafter IMO.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am setting up a 90 gallon FOWLR tank. My plan is to run a line from my RO unit directly into the tank to fill. I am using Ocean Direct live sand and dry rock while I cycle. I was going to add salt in a concentrated mix as the tank fills. My main concern is the live sand. Will doing it this way harm the sand either before salt is added or if salt is added concentrated.
Thanks!
You should fill the tank with RODI, not tap water.

If you use tapwater and add salt , the salt adds to the minerals already in the tap water creating very strange chemistry. i.e. if your tap has 100ppm Calcium, that will add to the calcium in the salt mix. The same for other chemistry including undesirable stuff that you do not want in the tank.

You should add salt in proportion to the amount of water.
If you add salt to an insufficient amount of water you would end up with very high salinity which would result in some of the minerals in the expensive salt mix precipitating out and being wasted. You may as well throw money spent on salt down the toilet.

So add 50 gal RODI, the add salt for 50 gal, then add another 10 gal RODI and salt for 10 gal until you get where you want.

You add the live sand when the salinity is correct, otherwise you will potentially be killing all the live stuff you paid for.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you live near a Whole Foods, they sell RO for $0.49 a gallon if you have your own containers. $45 isn’t too bad to o start it when you also factor in the cost of your own filters. Then use you own RODI for the slow rate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back