Filter change frequency?

fisherdonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a fluval 13.5 upgraded with an inTank media basket for chamber 2. Right now, that chamber contains, a carbon packet, filter floss, some type of bio pellets (standard ones that came with the aquarium). In that order, stack vertically to to bottom.

I have also gotten:
- Spare filter floor (the foamy stuff)
- Assortment of carbon packets (Fluval edge, API Crystal Biochem zorb, aqua clear activated carbon)
- Seachem Matrix

I have a relatively low bio load, no fish, just a handful of invertebrates.

How often should each component of the filter be swapped out? Is the floss reusable if simply cleaned? Do I need to populate new stages of the filter with bacteria?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio pellets - never, carbon every 1-2 months and filter floss every 3-5 days depending on how dirty it is and your nitrate/phosphate levels. Floss isn't reusable and should be chucked.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. The biomedia just needs to be rinsed in tank water occasionally. I like to soak or rinse carbon in tap water every other week to extend its lifespan and then replace it about once a month. The rate at which you swap the floss out can dramatically impact nitrate and phosphate levels. Its basically a crud collector and the longer it sits, the more of that crud will rot and turn into the eventual nitrate and phosphate. If you want to reuse floss, then I would get a filter pad as that can easily be rinsed in the sink.

OP
OP
F

fisherdonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any point to having extra matrix lying around then? I just added a handful to complement what the fluval came with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fisherdonk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's a high rate of floss replacement! That's also a lot of money and plastic down the drain. Any better alternatives? Filter pads were mentioned, are they as effective?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's a high rate of floss replacement! That's also a lot of money and plastic down the drain. Any better alternatives? Filter pads were mentioned, are they as effective?
You can buy a large bag of filter floss for like $10 that will last well over a year.

Back