Filter floss or Polyfil in an AIO?

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, so I’m just wondering how I should go about using Polyfil. I know I need a cup or something but I don’t know what to buy for my tank. It’s a recifie aquatop 24g. I asked the brand InTank about a rack (also to hold carbon) for the tank as they don’t have one for sale and coincidentally they are creating one now. So if I bought the rack when it’s ready do I still need a cup? Or should I consider their filter floss instead?
Thank you

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with your particular tank but typically you use either a cup or a basket but not both. A filter cup is just a cup that fits in the filter sock holder. You can fill it with any kind of media you want. I typically use some filter floss and a small bag of activated carbon in mine. A basket usually means that you remove the filter sock holder and replace it with the basket. For some tanks (like Waterbox) that requires removing some siliconed-in pieces. The basket can be more convenient if you use a lot of media.

InTank's filter floss is very good. I use it in my floss cup.

Upvote 0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with your particular tank but typically you use either a cup or a basket but not both. A filter cup is just a cup that fits in the filter sock holder. You can fill it with any kind of media you want. I typically use some filter floss and a small bag of activated carbon in mine. A basket usually means that you remove the filter sock holder and replace it with the basket. For some tanks (like Waterbox) that requires removing some siliconed-in pieces. The basket can be more convenient if you use a lot of media.

InTank's filter floss is very good. I use it in my floss cup.

I also use the in tank floss in my cup for my waterbox. I put a little nano size packet of chemipure blue in the cup as well, and that's it for filtration in my mini peninsula 15.

Upvote 0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use the in tank floss in my cup for my waterbox. I put a little nano size packet of chemipure blue in the cup as well, and that's it for filtration in my mini peninsula 15.
I do the exact same thing in my Mini Pen 15. I alternate between the ChemiPure Blue Nano packs and a media bag with 15 grams of RedSea Reef-Spec Carbon in my filter cup (Kraken Reef).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mcdonalds

Mcdonalds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the exact same thing in my Mini Pen 15. I alternate between the ChemiPure Blue Nano packs and a media bag with 15 grams of RedSea Reef-Spec Carbon in my filter cup (Kraken Reef).
I use chemipure as well and wanted this rack to put it there so I could then hide my heater and because my light is kind of in the way of the third chamber where it’s at now.

Upvote 0

OHReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with filter floss. It needs to be replaced fairly regularly in my experience. If its in a media rack and gets clogged it can lower your final chamber level which would either dry up or throw your salinity off due to your ATO kicking on too much.

Just food for thought.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back