Filter Floss while Cycling?

Thresher's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank cycling last night and just realized that I forgot to remove the filter floss in the filtration chambers of the AIO. Will having the floss in during the cycling process have a negative impact or should I leave it in the remainder of the cycling period?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will harm nothing, ever, and neither will skimmers during reef tank cycling

Dr Tims instructions say to remove the material, as if it matters, but that same information also warns about nitrite stalling the ammonia cycle and we know that's not true either

If you get your info from bottle bac sellers then expect opposite info, designed to make you doubt + buy more bottle bac to cover 'mistakes'

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing stuff. Filter floss is key to keeping a reef tank crystal clear making the glass look like a diamond. Perfectly fine while cycling and should always replace it every week just to improve and remove any bad or floating waste from either the sand or rock work releasing stuff into the water column.

OP
OP
T

Thresher's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will harm nothing, ever, and neither will skimmers during reef tank cycling

Dr Tims instructions say to remove the material, as if it matters, but that same information also warns about nitrite stalling the ammonia cycle and we know that's not true either

If you get your info from bottle bac sellers then expect opposite info, designed to make you doubt + buy more bottle bac to cover 'mistakes'
Thanks. I've heard from somewhere before (can't remember where) that the bacteria could be trapped in the floss if left in during cycling and wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing it up haha.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I've heard from somewhere before (can't remember where) that the bacteria could be trapped in the floss if left in during cycling and wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing it up haha.
Exactly! This is key to the prevention of having pest grow in the back chamber. As well as not everything dies on the rock but when going through a cycle it may loosen off and flow into the filtration and that’s where filter floss is key to a reef tank to prevent any parasites, spores etc.. making its way through your filtration infecting it.

People start to wonder where all these pests come from and it’s all from the beginning they set up their tank, and they’re sumps or chamber are contaminated with these different microorganism, pests that were released into the column in the first stages of the tank.
Filtration is the most important and filter floss is also a huge key… whether it be filter floss, filter floss padding, filter floss foam padding, or even custom filter floss sleeve socks with a touch of fabric I order online.

You should have a bag of bio media in the back chamber with a cap full of starting beneficial bacteria right next to you outlet pump and the sand in your display should be established as well.
Yes you do lose some bacteria if it ends up going through the filter floss but not all, that’s why you have a bio media establishment in the back chamber.
Going like this:
Sand(beneficial bacteria) —-> through filter floss —-> through all stages of filtration(carbon, sponge, heater) —> Pump(bag of established beneficial bacteria which helps balance lost beneficial bacteria in the process of filtration stages shot out back into the display tank)
If you get what I mean?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thresher's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! This is key to the prevention of having pest grow in the back chamber. As well as not everything dies on the rock but when going through a cycle it may loosen off and flow into the filtration and that’s where filter floss is key to a reef tank to prevent any parasites, spores etc.. making its way through your filtration infecting it.

People start to wonder where all these pests come from and it’s all from the beginning they set up their tank, and they’re sumps or chamber are contaminated with these different microorganism, pests that were released into the column in the first stages of the tank.
Filtration is the most important and filter floss is also a huge key… whether it be filter floss, filter floss padding, filter floss foam padding, or even custom filter floss sleeve socks with a touch of fabric I order online.

You should have a bag of bio media in the back chamber with a cap full of starting beneficial bacteria right next to you outlet pump and the sand in your display should be established as well.
Yes you do lose some bacteria if it ends up going through the filter floss but not all, that’s why you have a bio media establishment in the back chamber.
Going like this:
Sand(beneficial bacteria) —-> through filter floss —-> through all stages of filtration(carbon, sponge, heater) —> Pump(bag of established beneficial bacteria which helps balance lost beneficial bacteria in the process of filtration stages shot out back into the display tank)
If you get what I mean?
I have some seachem matrix, but have not even thought to put it in there! I need a media bag so that I can throw some in and I already used up all of my fritz turbostart 900 unfortunately so there is also that...

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shorts on, getting deep.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anywhere in the water flowpath you place that media, it will pick up bacteria.

side note: no extra surface area is required in reefing beyond live rocks in the display, all else is merely extra surface area that would run your reef the same even if you didn't use it. in other words: it doesn't matter if surfaces beyond common rocks in the display are cycled/pick up bacteria/or not, because those surfaces aren't needed. reefs don't run low on surface area, requiring extra or more to be packed in a sump, or filter. that's merely training from freshwater keeping everyone assumes applies to reefing, but doesnt.

whether or not you use extra matrix surface area absolutely does not help, nor harm, your reef tank. it's neutral impact/not needed at all in fact. no reef employing matrix is safer, more stable, or better off than one not using it.

OP
OP
T

Thresher's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anywhere in the water flowpath you place that media, it will pick up bacteria.

side note: no extra surface area is required in reefing beyond live rocks in the display, all else is merely extra surface area that would run your reef the same even if you didn't use it. in other words: it doesn't matter if surfaces beyond common rocks in the display are cycled/pick up bacteria/or not, because those surfaces aren't needed. reefs don't run low on surface area, requiring extra or more to be packed in a sump, or filter. that's merely training from freshwater keeping everyone assumes applies to reefing, but doesnt.

whether or not you use extra matrix surface area absolutely does not help, nor harm, your reef tank. it's neutral impact/not needed at all in fact. no reef employing matrix is safer, more stable, or better off than one not using it.
Good to know, thanks. This is my first saltwater tank so I would have never known.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back