Filter sock holder alternative?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, why doesn't any of the companies out there design a baffled acrylic box where you can have inlet/inlets for your overflow drain into a compartment and then overflow into filter sock/socks like the modern sumps that currently utilize this method?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, why doesn't any of the companies out there design a baffled acrylic box where you can have inlet/inlets for your overflow drain into a compartment and then overflow into filter sock/socks like the modern sumps that currently utilize this method?
Design patent perhaps? Not really sure.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like this?

20170121_014850.jpg

OP
OP
pecan2phat

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!
Your setup is built into the sump, I was looking for some acrylic box fabrication that you can drop into your sump. Ideally it would have 1 or 2 bulkheads for the drain input so that the portion over the filter sock can house a cover to reduce salt creep.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? And the spray paint doesn't have any negative effects on your tank? (obviously not but I have to ask)

Nope just make sure it's cured before adding to the tank. I waited 48 hours just to be safe

Dirk Griffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one is going to make anything like this unless you use the wonderful 'C' word...custom. Now it just became expensive.....
How many different sumps and tanks are being used through out the hobby?
These boxes would be to tall, not tall enough, to wide, not wide enough, to handle how much flow?, for 4", 7" or rectangle bags? For how many bags, 1/2/3/4 or more? What length bags?
Now each of those will have different thickness's of acrylic to handle the weight when the bags fill up. Then there has to be escape ports for the water to go when the bags are full, are these ports on the front, sides, back, every where?
There are roughly 60-80+ different boxes to cover just a couple of different sump sizes....and chances are, some one would still want something different

OP
OP
pecan2phat

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree, just wanted someone to put it out there that they can make it for a definitive price range.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you referring to how the Trigger sumps work? Because not everyone likes that setup. It collects detritus and is inaccessible. If that's what you're talking about.

OP
OP
pecan2phat

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never looked at it in regards to the detritus problem.
My whole thing with standard sock holders is that they are not always easy to maintain. When you start fiddling with the setup such as extending a rigid PVC pipe down lower into the sock to quiet them down and having to make a make shift over to reduce salt splash, now it's a chore to change them out every 3~4 days. While I've never had a purchased sump like the Trigger, I've admired from afar on the ingenuity on how easy it is to just pull a sock up and out without any obstruction and how non violently the water cascades into them vs crashing from a drain pipe. As with all great ideas IMO, it always evolves such as covers to reduce and or eliminate any salt spray, sock silencers to quiet them even further.
I guess it might not be popular or advantageous what I'm hoping for, that sump makers provide as an accessory product for reefers that utilize glass tanks as sumps or even those of us that have older sump vessels that utilized standard sock holders

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
modular sumps are great if you want to change configurations now or later. but yes, we’re talking custom work and custom prices. good news is that i do a ton of custom work.

i believe you are referring to a spill-over design. this is pretty easy for me to make, the hard part is making it as water right as possible on the sides so as much water as possible is diverted to the top where the sock openings are.

jacksonpt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never looked at it in regards to the detritus problem.
My whole thing with standard sock holders is that they are not always easy to maintain. When you start fiddling with the setup such as extending a rigid PVC pipe down lower into the sock to quiet them down and having to make a make shift over to reduce salt splash, now it's a chore to change them out every 3~4 days. While I've never had a purchased sump like the Trigger, I've admired from afar on the ingenuity on how easy it is to just pull a sock up and out without any obstruction and how non violently the water cascades into them vs crashing from a drain pipe. As with all great ideas IMO, it always evolves such as covers to reduce and or eliminate any salt spray, sock silencers to quiet them even further.
I guess it might not be popular or advantageous what I'm hoping for, that sump makers provide as an accessory product for reefers that utilize glass tanks as sumps or even those of us that have older sump vessels that utilized standard sock holders

Why not just not run socks? Their benefit is debatable anyways, unless you have so much crap in your water column that overall water clarity is the issue. In which case I'd try to figure out/fix the cause of the problem.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 149 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back